Jay's Dual Tech system

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by HeroicJay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. WickedWolfy

WickedWolfy Touch Fluffy Tail! Veteran

First Language:
    En, De, Ru
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hm. By "on standby" do you mean that character 2 should not be able to use their skill?
    I am able to queue normally the "Dual" skill for both characters. Is that normal?

2. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Character 2 shouldn't even get their turn before the dualtech fires off, if it's linked. What does the Dual tag for your tech look like?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. WickedWolfy

First Language:
    En, De, Ru
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, then there is definitely something off.
    The skill system shows proper, I see the other character linked (names), but both character can queue and execute skill separately.

I have two tags for dual attacks. Attaching screenshots.

Would it be alright with you if I poke at the code? Optimally, I would love to have a "synergy" attacking together, based on character affinity or some other parameter, and done kind of automatically, as I've mentioned, along the lines of Disgaea. Also, would love to do "specific procedures" for some attacks, treating them as epic strikes, instead of just powerful attacks.
    That being said, probably never will get it done =3

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

4. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood. In order for dualtechs to be turn-linked, you must make the first parameter of the "Dual" tag "linked". Otherwise, the dualtech will work exactly like it does in version 1.1.2 - with no turn linking.

Like this:

<Dual:linked,1,40,6,41>

I'm afraid I don't know what it is you want when you mention Disgaea, even though I've played the Disgaea games. If you're referring to how the surrounding characters randomly join in for regular attacks, that isn't really what this plugin was made for. It was made for Chrono Trigger and FF4:TAY-style combined attacks.

5. WickedWolfy

First Language:
    En, De, Ru
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well that's frustrating. It does not seem to be working for me.
    I have added the "linked" keyword, but nothing changed.
    Just so we are ont he same page, I have tried both 1.2.1d and 2.0 file version from the opening post in the thread https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...2-0-with-turn-linking-under-yanfly-ctb.47765/ Is there maybe another file I am missing? This really seems very simple.
    I have even tried to run with no other plugins and have the same result. I do have YANFLY Core Engine on, if that changes anything.

In terms of Disgaea I mostly was looking at setting up hooks for "special events" when synergy/dual attacks are to occur.
    It could be an image scrolling on the screen, or two characters talking to one-another "I am ready!" "Ok go! I got your back!" to put it simply. Mostly I would be curious about the event hooks. Sorry for the confusion - just trying to make Dual Attacks seem more special and epic when they happen.

I have played both games you have mentioned and would probably understand your reference after two redbulls run their course out of my system and I get some sleep. Sorry for being dumb. =(

As always, thank you for your help and diligence.

6. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you have Yanfly's CTB installed? At present, that's a prerequisite. (In the future, I'll probably expand to ATB, but the default battle system is the one where the logistics would actually be the hardest to iron out.)

If you're referring to the animations, I recommend using Yanfly's Action Sequence plugins. I recommend it anyway; default RPG Maker MV animations can be a little bland even for single techs. Arguably even for basic attacks!

7. WickedWolfy

First Language:
    En, De, Ru
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was drop dead sure I did, but checking now it is not there. Added that to the list and all of the dependencies.
    For it to work now. Thank you very much.

Quick question. Technically, the first person can do a regular turn, after which the "second doubler" can still execute the "dual" skill?

8. zarasrage

zarasrage Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi man, your plugin is beautiful and works perfect in my proyect!!
    I have only one little issue that maybe you can figure out:
    problemdual.png
    The cost and the icons quite like overlap.... maybe you know how I can fix this?? :D

9. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It looks like you're using Yanfly's Skill Core. So I can think of three potential issues:

1. Are you using any other plugins that modify skill cost besides Skill Core?
    2. Is Skill Core up to date?
    3. In the Plugins list, which plugin is on top? Yanfly's Skill Core (which should be) or Dualtechs (which should not be)?

zarasrage likes this.
  10. zarasrage

zarasrage Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  11. curioushika

curioushika Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not-English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is there any workaround on how to make the dualtech uses all of the participant's turn?

12. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes... if you're using Yanfly's CTB system.

Linked turns in default battle system is not feasible (at least not the way this plugin is designed. I can come up with feasible ways to do it in my head, but they'd all work nothing like how this plugin works.) ATB is feasible, but I never wrote that functionality in.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    curioushika likes this.
  13. curioushika

First Language:
    Not-English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @HeroicJay I see. Thank you for replying :uwink:
    The only gripe that I have is that all of the participants are able to use the dual tech in one turn. If the dual tech requires 4 characters, then the player can use the dual tech 4 times in a turn which will going to break the game balance.

Unfortunately I don't use Yanfly's CTB System, so currently as the workaround, I made the dual tech only usable for 1 time per battle using Yanfly's Limited Skill Uses plugins, so when the player attempt to do the skill more than once, it will fizzle.

14. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I understand. There are just too many problems with a DTB (Default Turn-based Battles) version of this plugin with linked turns. For example, you could skip the turn of everyone involved in the tech after you activate the dualtech, but what if someone at the end of the lineup is the one who activates it? Would the previously-entered moves just not count or something? Seems sloppy. But if you disable the dualtech if someone involved already had their command input, then the actors at the bottom of the lineup will then never be able to activate it! And if you just make it skip the next turn of all fighters involved (even if that falls in the next round) then you have to deal with the weirdness of the fact that the order you select your moves in the DTB is not necessarily the order in which they execute, so you might have Alex attack normally, Bob use an Alex + Bob dualtech, have Bob's turn execute first because he's faster or the RNG said so, have Alex attack after the dualtech, and then have Alex's next turn be skipped because reasons or something. None of these strike me as good or intuitive solutions, and I wanted dualtechs to work (for the player) as intuitively as possible.

Under the DTB, the best alternate solution I came up with would be to put a "team attack" option in the main turn menu (the one that usually contains "Fight" and "Escape"), but that's not how this plugin is implemented, I'm afraid. Or you could have it so that dualtechs trigger when the component moves are used consecutively (one of the Breath of Fire games did that), but that's even less like how this plugin is implemented. This plugin uses a more Chrono-Trigger-esque approach to dualtechs (after all, that's the game that called them "dualtechs"!)

There are other workarounds for it, though. For example, just because all four characters are involved in a dualtech, that doesn't mean all four need to know the dualtech skill itself. What if - and I have no idea if this is what you want for your game, I'm just offering it as a suggestion - only one character can activate "team attacks"? (That's actually how it works in Jay's Journey, even though I am using CTB.)

I saw one clever workaround where the dualtech was coded as an "instant action" (through one of Yanfly's plugins) that paralyzed all characters involved for one turn. It did still have the tiny bit of sloppiness where a character whose action was already input would lose that action, but it did work with as little fuss as possible.

curioushika likes this.
  15. curioushika

First Language:
    Not-English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @HeroicJay I think making one of the character learns the skill is a great idea :kaojoy:
    The "paralyze" method seems kinda similar to limiting the skill usage and looks more complicated.:oswt:

Thank you so much for the suggestion though. It really gives me ideas. :kaojoy:

16. Danitinkis

Danitinkis Deadly and sexy Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How about that the dualtech skills have max priority and when the skill ends the users have a paralysed effect for one turn? Would that work?

17. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, essentially the same thing in practice as the "instant action" variant except that you are guaranteed to input everyone's turn (which will get skipped if they were part of a dualtech but not the initiator.) Either way, that can be done with no modifications to the existing plugin.

18. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [This post deleted by user]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  19. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [This post deleted by user]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sooooooooooo.

Um.

I've bee saying for months that there's no good way that will satisfy everyone to link turns under DTB. And, well, in absence of other plugins, that's entirely true.

Soooooooooooooooooooo...

Why did no one ever tell me that Yanfly's Battle Status Window plugin lets you switch between actors by pressing left and right when under the DTB? I seriously had no clue whatsoever. That one little feature makes every last problem I had with linked-turn dualtechs vanish in a puff of irrelevance.

If I knew that feature existed, I'd have implemented linked-turn dualtechs under Battle Status Window-powered DTB ages ago.

(It helps that I do not think the primary feature of Battle Status Window makes much sense to be applied to side-view battles, and my main project uses side-view battles because of course it does.)

water221 likes this.