HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you want to put a map in the corner of your screen? Well, this plugin lets you do just that! From anything in-game, just call the Plugin Command MakeMap and you'll get one of the map you're currently on! (My method is to make an infinite-use item that calls a common event, and put the Plugin Command in the common event.)

Note that this only makes the map. It's up to you to decide how to use it. For ease of use, though, the maps will be dropped right into your /img/pictures directory, named Map_[id].png, so they're ready to go immediately! (I would, however, recommend making the maps on your own and removing the plugin before publishing the game.)

This is only a minimap, not a full map like the one HelloAnnoying released earlier. One tile translates to one pixel on the minimap.

The default colors are in grayscale. If you'd like a bit more color, may I recommend the following color options? (They're configurable as parameters to the plugin):

Water Color: #0000FF

Walkable Color: #80FF80

Cliff Color: #00C000

Unwalkable Color: #C08040

Damage Color: #804080

But, really, any color format that Javascript recognizes should work, even simple words like "red" and "blue".

NEW!!

If you place a number after "MakeMap", the map will scale to one tile being that many pixels high and wide. There are also new parameters to define a default scale, or have the map auto-scale to be as close as it can to a predefined maximum (though any maps already larger than the maximum will have scale 1 no matter what.)

Example:

This is what the map looks like in the editor. (THIS IS NOT WHAT MY PLUGIN CREATES!! Use HelloAnnoying's plugin if you want something that looks like this.)

This is what my plugin creates (with scale 2):

And this is how you can use it:

Also, here's the version that uses the colors given above, for reference:

http://pastebin.com/1R3th4MW

This plugin is free for non-commercial and commercial use, but please credit Jason R. Godding if you use it. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Targaryen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Wow its a real good job <3

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
aw man! that sucks! yeah you should get more feedback on your work :) Mini maps are really good and an often overlooked part of RPG's. that being said here are some thoughts.

1.) the biggest thing is that all it does is make an image of your map which is great but there is no way to track the player location on that map so it's really easy to get lost. I see you have a red dot in your example image so i don't know if you need another plug in to create that or what. Without some way to track the player on the map the map will have a very limited uses

2.) having the ability to use different colors for different damage tiles would be good. like poison swamp, lava, etc. 

3.) Size ratio control. one unit for one pixel can be really limiting. options to do 1:2, 1:4, or 1:8 would be good for maps that are not huge but do need maps.  

overall great job though! hope this feedback helps

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1.) the biggest thing is that all it does is make an image of your map which is great but there is no way to track the player location on that map so it's really easy to get lost. I see you have a red dot in your example image so i don't know if you need another plug in to create that or what. Without some way to track the player on the map the map will have a very limited uses
Not everything requires plugins.

(You'd also want to hide the map and turn off the switch once you leave the map, of course, but this is easy to do through basic eventing.)

2.) having the ability to use different colors for different damage tiles would be good. like poison swamp, lava, etc.
3.) Size ratio control. one unit for one pixel can be really limiting. options to do 1:2, 1:4, or 1:8 would be good for maps that are not huge but do need maps.
Those are doable (and now done). The minimap in my example was blown up by 200% in an image editor, but I could (and have) set this up to do it automatically too.

Scales of 0.5 (or whatever fraction) actually do work, but they come out antialiased. Just an FYI.

There is another feature I have considered - Smart Cliffs (only the edge of cliffs and other partially-walkable tiles will be marked when the scale > 1). Not implemented yet.

Unmercyful

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Just wanted to post a screenshot to show how everyone how  awesome this plugin is!!  Also wanted  to say thank you for sharing it with us.

Screenshot (26).png

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Not everything requires plugins.

(You'd also want to hide the map and turn off the switch once you leave the map, of course, but this is easy to do through basic eventing.)
oh, sorry. that's not what i mean. I mean in general maps usually need some sort of  "you are here" marker on them so you can understand where you are compared to your surroundings. Maps are great but hard to use if you  don't know where you are on them. this in no way is a slam on your script. i totally know it's not designed to do that. I just know to make a basic rpg map that functionality will need to come from somewhere which would probably be another script.

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uh...  :unsure: did you open the "spoiler" and look at both of the pictures in it? I spell out exactly how to do what you're asking.

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
OH! i see now. yes i did look at it but ended up with a different result (that basically didn't work). mostly the trip up was the "youarehere" graphic. wasn't sure of the size format. I was using a larger graphic (a pen quill, non power of two image) for it  and even though the tip of the quill was centered in the center of the image the registration was always off (by a lot actually) .  So I just made it one unit by one unit and it worked somewhat better.   also when you change the mini map size you have to change the offset numbers accordingly which is my bad, should have realized this. (like, when you make a map x 2 in size you have to make sure the map locator moves times 2 as well or your quickly miss register) also the offset modifier works a bit weird with other scripts like the zelda screen transition script on my end so I will have to look into that. also, I found out the hard way that if your running alot of scripts that use 'display image" like for example screen effects like lighting and parallax you have to have some way of telling each script the image sorting order. they can conflict like crazy! lastly, am i the only one that has this issue but wherever i use the player location x and y to control like location of an image? i get a bit of lag. why is this? i assume it's because the code is constantly checking the player location when run as a parallel process which is what it's suppose to do. I tried doing it to other events (like monsters on the map.) and it just gets more slow from there so I guess i just have to keep things simple.

so yeah, in the end my bad. it works it's just my project needs special help to get it to work smoothly. I guess you just have to keep it basic. :) my apologizes

Dinamic Creates

Project Stealth | Project Dungeon Trios
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you made it transparent by photoshop? Or by the plugin?

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Neither. I made it transparent with RPG Maker MV. When you show or move a picture, you can set its opacity (255 = fully opaque, 0 = fully transparent.)

As you can see in the above events, the map was set to 160 opacity (actually, 0 opacity, and then it "moved" to 160, giving it a fadein effect), and the "YouAreHere" indicator was given 220 opacity.

Jeremy Cannady

Coldfire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I bet this would work well with my minimap display script, I won't have to scale down the png.

What kind of file size do these generate?

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The size of the file will depend on the size, scale, and complexity of the map. The two example images above - which were produced with my script - are barely over a kilobyte (the grayscale one not surprisingly being a little smaller.) My main project has a 200x200 world map which I did not scale, which translated to a 4.76 KB grayscale and 4.84 KB color map.

Dinamic Creates

Project Stealth | Project Dungeon Trios
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Neither. I made it transparent with RPG Maker MV. When you show or move a picture, you can set its opacity (255 = fully opaque, 0 = fully transparent.)

As you can see in the above events, the map was set to 160 opacity (actually, 0 opacity, and then it "moved" to 160, giving it a fadein effect), and the "YouAreHere" indicator was given 220 opacity.
lol that makes sense.

But I did try it by myself, and made a lil transparent only the ''non walkable areas'' by photoshop and I gotta say it looks neat. 

Also, made a pointer with the solution from above, and painted the entrance of each level. 

It's really useful! Thank you very much.

DivineReeper

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Smartass
This isn't working for me at all, not sure whats up, i have a lot of other plugins running on my map, Kaus, Terrax, ect..  cant get this to work at all, can you give a screenshot of how you set it up, or do you know if it has compatibility issues with Kaus or other plugins?

Thanks.

Fox536

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
This looks really cool, I might use it for dungeons, or something. Good work Jay

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This isn't working for me at all, not sure whats up, i have a lot of other plugins running on my map, Kaus, Terrax, ect..  cant get this to work at all, can you give a screenshot of how you set it up, or do you know if it has compatibility issues with Kaus or other plugins?

Thanks.
I doubt any compatibility issues unless someone screwed up Game_Interpreter.pluginCommand or defined a function with the exact same name as mine (I probably should have named it something different, though.) Terrax's Lighting System does neither. What is "Kaus"?

You area remembering to call the plugin command MakeMap, right? Reminder as well that this plugin makes the pictures and puts them in your img/pictures directory; you still have to decide how to use them yourself. This is, in fact, a plugin that I recommend you remove before publishing a game.

EDIT: I found a Kaus plugin and what came oh-so-close to an incompatibility between it and Terrax's Lightning System, but neither should be incompatible with the Minimap Maker.

Potato Coach

LOLWUT?
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Hello! Can you share with us the red thingy on the minimap.. or just tell us the size

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Can you share with us the red thingy on the minimap.. or just tell us the size
Really? I created that in like twenty seconds.

It's just a red dot surrounded by a ring of lighter red pixels, which is itself surrounded by a ring of partially transparent pink. It's 5x5 - and if you want to use the "center" command like I did in my above example, an odd number is what you want.

DivineReeper

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Smartass
I doubt any compatibility issues unless someone screwed up Game_Interpreter.pluginCommand or defined a function with the exact same name as mine (I probably should have named it something different, though.) Terrax's Lighting System does neither. What is "Kaus"?

You area remembering to call the plugin command MakeMap, right? Reminder as well that this plugin makes the pictures and puts them in your img/pictures directory; you still have to decide how to use them yourself. This is, in fact, a plugin that I recommend you remove before publishing a game.

EDIT: I found a Kaus plugin and what came oh-so-close to an incompatibility between it and Terrax's Lightning System, but neither should be incompatible with the Minimap Maker.
I used the command MakeMap yes, can you screenshot me an example of how you set it up, just to make sure im not doing something stupid, i am very new to all this, and to get plugins to work in the past, i literally have had to have a demo, or step by step instructions, but im learning pretty fast otherwise, and have some sweet looking maps so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsterwave18