jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello Pirobi, is there a way I can use a script call or something else to return the sender or subject of a certain mail?
I would like to store it in a variable.

thanks

mpurnell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
any word on the above question?

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@styx92 @jobar @mpurnell

Apologies for such a late reply! For some reason I haven't been getting notifications on this thread. All of your issues/questions will be looked at within the next week!

mpurnell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@styx92 @jobar @mpurnell

Apologies for such a late reply! For some reason I haven't been getting notifications on this thread. All of your issues/questions will be looked at within the next week!

Thanks. I didnt want to press the issue but was hoping you were still active lol

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks. I didnt want to press the issue but was hoping you were still active lol

Just went on hiatus to get school out of the way. Now I should be free to work again haha

Hello Pirobi, is there a way I can use a script call or something else to return the sender or subject of a certain mail?
I would like to store it in a variable.

thanks

I will add a function that returns those fields as a string, is this what you are requesting?

jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, this is what I was asking. Thanks!!

styx92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@styx92 @jobar @mpurnell

Many thanks for this =)
I love this script and im happy that you work on it again

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
~Update to 1.9~

Fixes/Changes:

• Static text in the mail scene is now customizable
  • Added getter functions to return Sender and Subjects for a specified message, indicated by ID (see code for details)
  • Adjusted attachments so that they can only be collected when the message is read.
  • Updated mail scene to remove the default sound that plays (so now if you try to claim an attachment from a message that doesn't have one, no sound will play) (To go with the point above, unread messages will play buzzer sound if you try to claim the attachment.

To-do / Possible Changes for upcoming versions:
  1. Adjust attachment window to display "????" If there's an attachment but the mail is unread (will reveal the item when the message is read).
  2. To go with above - add ability to claim attachment while cursor is inside the message itself
  3. Will look into possible spacing issues from JSON parsing
  4. Will look into editor crashing issues
  5. Will look into scaling compatibility (for higher resolutions, etc.)
Thanks for your feedback and support, everyone! Please let me know if there are any issues, questions, or concerns and I will try to address them as soon as I can!

The demo will be updated soon with the new version. For now, please use the script in the code tags to get the latest version!

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
~Update to 1.95~
  • Fixed a bug where using the MailAdd plugin command with more than one argument wasn't working
  • Adjusted attachment window to display a message when the selected mail has an attachment, but hasn't been read yet
  • That message is customizable in the plugin window
The demo and editor links are currently being updated and should be available soon!

styx92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Pirobi Many thanks! I attachment fix saved my life :D Very nice!

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much for this neat plugin!!!!! I love the fact it has it's own editor as well! :kaoluv:

I tested it with MV 1.5.0 and everything seems to be working well ^^ The only thing is that the menu stretches to fit my custom width, but the height hasn't changed, so it looks a odd, but still passable.
us06MEB.jpg

I have a suggestion, if you'd consider adding a parameter to flip the message order around? So that new messages appear at the top of the inbox instead of at the bottom of the list where the player has to scroll down to read it. Alternatively, allowing the player to 'delete' a message so their list doesn't become too full, or possibly having the cursor jump straight to the first unread message? :D

I also think a neat little add-on would be to the option to change the unread mail/from & subject text colours so it can be customised a little.

I've always loved getting mail in games. I know I'll probably write too many letters the player won't be bothered to read :kaoblush:Anyway, thanks again for all your hard work!

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much for this neat plugin!!!!! I love the fact it has it's own editor as well! :kaoluv:

I tested it with MV 1.5.0 and everything seems to be working well ^^ The only thing is that the menu stretches to fit my custom width, but the height hasn't changed, so it looks a odd, but still passable.
us06MEB.jpg

I have a suggestion, if you'd consider adding a parameter to flip the message order around? So that new messages appear at the top of the inbox instead of at the bottom of the list where the player has to scroll down to read it. Alternatively, allowing the player to 'delete' a message so their list doesn't become too full, or possibly having the cursor jump straight to the first unread message? :D

I also think a neat little add-on would be to the option to change the unread mail/from & subject text colours so it can be customised a little.

I've always loved getting mail in games. I know I'll probably write too many letters the player won't be bothered to read :kaoblush:Anyway, thanks again for all your hard work!

I will definitely be looking into everything you have brought up! Thanks for your support!

We are currently working on the next release version and are looking to fix/implement many different features. However, I will be going on vacation soon and will not be available, so I would expect the next updates to roll out around the end of August.

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
~Update to 2.0~
  • Added options to add, sub, mult, divide, and mod variables via triggers (see the script/first post for more info)
  • Newest messages now appear at the top of the mailbox list.
  • Changes to the editor are incoming! The biggest change will be the removal of word wrapping - formatting the message will be up to the user's implementation. For example, you should be able use Yanfly's wordwrap (Part of the message core). Another important change will be crash reporting - an email will be sent out to us with logs whenever the editor crashes(if you're connected to the internet), so we can more easily fix the issue! The editor is still underway, so please bear with us until we have more news!
  • Deleting mail is being investigated to determine the best way to handle it.

mk-2

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a great plug-in! I will use it for the work under construction! When the work is completed, it is going to be released to the net. I am Japanese and I do not understand English, so I can not convey my gratitude without copying and pasting on the translation site. I'm sorry ... but, thank you!

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the long delay, but we have finally rolled out our new changes! This was planned to happen during our 2.0 release back in September, but timing caused us to push it back. We will continue to optimize/update the plugin and editor tool, so please keep us informed of any and all issues you may encounter while using it! Thanks for your support!

~Update to 2.0.1~

Fixes
  • Various Performance improvements in plugin and Editor Tool
Changes
  • Added plugin properties to change the text color of the Sender/Subject headers
  • Removed word-wrapping functionality, but added the ability to use <br> to indicate a line break
    • Because of this, users MUST manually indicate when they wish to break the line (use <br>, press enter, or use \r\n)
  • New Editor!!!
    • The Editor has been re-vamped visually and works a little smoother (on the back end)
    • Each message can be individually saved/restored to its previous version (before making changes to it). Each message's changes are tracked individually - i.e. trying to switch between messages will prompt you to save if changes are detected.
    • Various performance improvements
    • Adding ability to check for updates to the editor/plugin - still experimental!
    • Window width matches the approximate width of the in-game mail window to make it easier to know when to put line breaks
Known issues, future improvements
  • Resolution scaling
  • Delete mail from inside the mailbox scene(This can currently be done through script/plugin commands though)

Cimmantti

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Love the idea! However, I keep getting an error "Uncaught Syntax Error: Unexpected Token."
It only just happened when I put in your plugin and the mail file. :(

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love the idea! However, I keep getting an error "Uncaught Syntax Error: Unexpected Token."

So you're using a brand new empty mail file? If that's the case then it might be because the json is improperly formatted. I will take a look soon to both fix that potential issue and look for any other issues!

Cimmantti

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So you're using a brand new empty mail file? If that's the case then it might be because the json is improperly formatted. I will take a look soon to both fix that potential issue and look for any other issues!
No I made my own .json file but copy and pasted what you had in the example. I did not change anything in it.

Randy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

From my experience that happens when the plugin doesn't have any mail information to show. Put an autorun event (that deletes itself or turns off after one iteration) with the plugin command "MailAddAll 0". As long as you have at least one entry in Mail.json (properly formatted) it should open properly.

Did you use the editor and change the "Project Directory"? I think that command actually loads up the Mail.json from the directory that you tell it to, but it could make it look like you have messages because it's actually loading from the Demo project directory.

• Delete mail from inside the mailbox scene(This can currently be done through script/plugin commands though)

I like this plugin so far as I was thinking of adding something similar to my game. The thing that I'm looking forward to the most is the ability to delete from inside the mailbox scene. I could make a common event with a button press or something, but it'll be so much easier and future-proof if it's all in the same package.

So, thank you for making this plugin and good luck on any future updates.

Last edited:

Pirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No I made my own .json file but copy and pasted what you had in the example. I did not change anything in it.

I loaded the sample JSON exactly as I had it posted and it works if I remove the commented lines. Did you remove the commented lines from your json file? (Maybe I should remove those so others won't have this issue). If it's still giving you a problem let me know, but I think this is why.

From my experience that happens when the plugin doesn't have any mail information to show. Put an autorun event (that deletes itself or turns off after one iteration) with the plugin command "MailAddAll 0". As long as you have at least one entry in Mail.json (properly formatted) it should open properly

I'm actually thinking of having that specific error pop up if the Mail Json is empty or improperly formatted for any reason. Thanks for reminding me :)

The thing that I'm looking forward to the most is the ability to delete from inside the mailbox scene. I could make a common event with a button press or something, but it'll be so much easier and future-proof if it's all in the same package.

My current plan is to not only add this functionality, but make it optional, since in the game I'm currently working on I don't want the player to accidentally delete these messages and lose some key info.

I'm also thinking of the logistics. It would have to be a key event, like pressing D or something like that when the cursor is inside the message, followed by a prompt to delete, but I need to remind myself how to make sure these commands will be useable if a controller is being used - guess I gotta test that out too haha

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

To cut down on map lag, I've been researching how to implement a lighting layer as a single map overlay instead of a bunch of individual lights. Hopefully I'll have a screenshot soon!
Imagine having a game broken up into a whole bunch of chapters? Like Chapter 11 should be about the party members going bankrupt.
Over 1/4th of the calendars are already out :eek: Have you already put something to a good use?
Where would you go if you're looking to hire someone on here? I'm in need of a writer to take my story concept and turn it into npcs/dialog in my game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LXRDFLXRVL