RMMV Journal1st (HTML game)(Abandoned)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by JohnDoeNews, Apr 25, 2017.

?

Did you like Journal1st

1. I have played it, and I like it!

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. I have played it, and I did not like it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have not played it yet. (I may change my vote after I have)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I have not played it, and don't want to.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JohnDoeNews

JohnDoeNews Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

[​IMG]
    MEET MARK
    Mark had to work at the last dat of the millennium. His friends wait at home, to count down to januari 1st, 2000. On his way home, Mark decides to start a journal.

On his way home, while he his writing his first entry, he meets a stranger: Judas. Judas is looking for a party to crash, but as Mark noticed himself, there is no one the be found in the whole town. No parties, no fireworks, it's a ghosttown.

When Mark arrives at his friends place, his friends are waiting for him. Right in time for the countdown.
    But right when the countdown hits 0, everything changes. Marks life would never be the same...

[​IMG]

THE GAME
    Journal1st (Journal first) is a visual novel about a young man, who starts to lose his mind, so it seems. His only hold on, are his journals. Only he has no memory of writing them.

The game is easy, you read the story on the bottom of the screen, while the upper half of the screen shows you the events as they happen. As player you just read the story and enjoy the show. Choices you make, can change the outcome of a scene, a chapter or the entire game completely.

The game is going to be updated daily, and with each update, a new scene will be added to the story. When the game is complete, the whole story will be told in 6 chapters, which all build on on the first save game. If I have a steady group of readers, I already have great plans for season two...

ABOUT ME
    I am John, I am an amature writer. A story teller. I used to write fantasy stories, horror stories and horror fantasy stories. As long as it was absurd, weird, funny or horrific, I liked to write about it. I just always wish I could bring my stories more alive, create a universe and make my characters breath. In RPG maker, I found what I was looking for.

I work on a big project, with a deep story and a lot of battles. Totally different than Journal1st. Journal1st is like my sidequest. Just a project to give me the oppertunity to tell a dark, scary and slightly funny story.

PLAY JOURNAL1ST
    http://games.johndoenews.nl/p/journal1st.html
    Play it on the website, no download required.

UPDATE 26-04-'17
    Whoever have tried the game before this mornings update, might have to replay the first scenes. I made a stupid mistake by auto saving the game after the end event. A mistake I will not make again, I made sure of it.
    EDIT I fixxed this problem. Old saves now can just continue without repeating the first scenes. :D

UPDATE 27-04-'17
    I just finished a sprite for my character Danny. He is a cancer surfivor and spends most of his time in a wheel chair. With this sprite, Danny is as mobile as any other character.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Lernakow

Lernakow Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like it. Not much choice to make, but still fun.
    One thing though: 1999 is not the end of a Millennium nor is 2000 a beginning of one. Millenniums start at year 1, 1001, 2001 and end at 1000, 2000, 3000 and so on. But it's a common mistake, one a common hero might make, so don't mind an old calendar freak.

JohnDoeNews likes this.
  3. JohnDoeNews

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know what you mean, we started at year 1 and not at year 0, right?
    However, the world celebrated 2000 as if it was a new millennium, so I guess I let it in.

And you are right, there is not much choice just yet. But the story has just started.

Every choice you do make, will adapt the story one way or another. (The very first choice is the most important one, and changes every scene.) I thought about putting "idle choices" in there, which all have the same outcome, just to give the illusion you have more choices. If it would make a big diffrence, I might still add some idle choices. I guess if I add one or two per scene, it should not be too much work.

Thanks for the feedback, though :)

4. Tsarmina

Tsarmina Resident Redhead ♥ Veteran

First Language:
    Java :P
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Whoa, episodic/frequently updated game seems really cool. :kaojoy: It would be cool to be able to use as an app! You're using MV, right? Have you considered that, or am I being ignorant about how this programming works? D:

I don't play a lot of VNs, and I'm terrified of horror stories, but I also kinda want to know more about this game XD Seems intriguing from the hook you gave us! Good luck on production c:

JohnDoeNews likes this.
  5. JohnDoeNews

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would love to! I already bought the required account on google android, however, converting the game to an android envirement is a little too complicated for me. I wish someone could teach me. :) That is actually the reason I bought MV in the first place. I thought it would be easy enough a kid could do it. XD

It is not a horrific story as in blood, murder and guts, but it is a man, losing his mind. Time lines of his life are all F'ed up, he sees things that arn't there, and he slowly is losing it. The only hold on to reallity he seems to have, are his journals, but his journals do not match up his memory... If that doesn't sound to scary, I invite you to try the game yourself. I don't want to spoilt too much about the story line, since that is all the game consists off.

I like the idea of a daily update myself a lot too. That way, everyone can see the project grow with me. I just added 2 new scenes to my game. And I discovered a stupid mistake. Whoever tried the very first scenes, might have to play them again, since the game as auto-saved after the outro. A mistake I will not make again.

6. Lernakow

Lernakow Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I replayed the beginning (because my save was from before the update and I had to) and it was different, buggy. First thing: J. was on the pavement almost from the very beginning, not after a long walk. Second: the first talk at party table went in complete darkness -- I saw the conversation message boxes with portraits and text, but I didn't see the room at all.
    Then it went smoothly to the very end.

JohnDoeNews likes this.
  7. JohnDoeNews

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for letting me know. I retested the game and it works fine here.

Did you restart the game, or play on with your old save game that made you restart?
    If the last one is the case, then I know why Judas shows up early and I can fix it.

Everything should work fine now. Thanks for letting me now!

Ps. Nice that you came back for the next scenes. :D That motivates me.

Edit: I found a way to fix the bu all together, so al saves can just play on without repeating the first scenes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. Lernakow

Lernakow Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It was my old save and forced restart.

9. JohnDoeNews

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. I fixxed the bugs.
    What happened was: I made had you restarted, but there was a variable that wasn't reset to 0. Stupid.
    Also I know what I did wrong with the first upload. Restarting will never be required again.
    (Unless you delete your cookies. That also deletes your save game)

10. JohnDoeNews

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Next update is a big one!
    The next update of Journal1st is going to change the game entirely! So far it was all about the storyline. This is not going to change, but the player will have more control over how the story flows.

To make these changes I need time. I hoped to do it in a weekend, but I will not make it.

What will change after this big update:
    - You will be able to walk freely in the OPEN world in between scenes. This will unluck extra scenes, or even complete side stories.
    - You will be able to interact with NPC's. This olso will unluck extra scenes, or even complete side stories.
    - You will be granted quests and actually will become friends with NPC's.
    - You will collect pages of your journal, depending on your choices.
    - You will have more control over a conversation.

What else is coming later:
    - After I complete the first chapter, I will translate the game to Dutch.
    - The game will be available on Android market, and playable on facebook...
    (As soon as I figured out how... I'm almost there)