Journey of A First Generation RPG Maker

Joewoof

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
RPG Maker changed the course of my life, for better or worse.

My first foray into RPG Maker was 16 years ago, with the original RPG Maker for Sony Playstation. Hohoho, back in my day, we had to make an entire RPG with a controller! Are there still any of you left? Those who knew what a memory card adaptor for computers looked like?  :D  That was my first ever purchase on eBay, and the only way to get one overseas was to auction for it!

I was 14 then. Now, I'm almost 30.

Man, was I naive. I tried to make the most new and original thing ever, and all I ended up making was a half-assed prologue chapter that never went anywhere. Amazingly, the game is still available for download after all these years. For those that are curious, you can still find Abyss of Vinsaga: Aquamoon Pandora here, but you will need a PSX emulator to even play it. Its review page is on the verge of collapse though. You guys might be the last people who will ever read the review from its source. Looking back, its score is actually embarrassing. My game was incomplete and barely playable, and yet most games back then were so horrible that mine stood out as a good enough experience.

Since then, I pursued Computer Science, and got into the gaming industry in my home country of Thailand. All the while, I dreamed of one day becoming a Game Director of a game company. One day, I hoped that my childhood dream would come true. I was so dumb.

You see, 26 years ago, when I was 4 years old, I started designing an RPG I called Singalin. I was so mesmerized by Final Fantasy 4, despite barely understanding anything in it, that I wanted to create my own fantasy world. Over the years, Singalin evolved into a paper-and-pencil RPG that I played with my cousin, until I finally got my hands on RPG Maker at the age of 13. I spent a year making a single chapter of the game, and I was exhausted. I became convinced that, to make a full-fledged RPG of my dreams, I needed a team. So, I really worked hard at bringing people together, and started my own RPG Maker Club online. Ultimately, it was a failure because my group was too ambitious. I was too ambitious. But no, I didn't stop there. At first, I blamed it on a lack of dedication, so I worked my ass off to get into the gaming industry. People there would be dedicated, right? Considering that the gaming sector in Thailand is extremely small, I went about it indirectly. I met a group of great people, founded a business software company, and when we became stable enough, we pursued game development.

So, there I was, a Game Director. It took 11 years to get there, but I did it. Didn't I? So dumb.

It was never going to work out. Unless you're a very rich company that can take a lot of risks, or you're already specialized for a niche audience, you have no choice but to make stupid cash-grab games. Sure, I was a director, but I had little say in what type of game has to be made. That's what producers dictate. And if I were a producer myself, I would have no choice but to do the same. RPGs typically have a small audience, and we just couldn't take the risk. And considering what our company was doing, that was not going to change for a very long time.

So, being the stupid, single-minded idiot that I am, I left. I couldn't bare the thought of enduring decades more of frustration for that slim chance of making my dream game.

I'm pursuing a different career now, and guess what? I'm back where I started.

Somehow, but not surprisingly, the Internet knows me well, and when RPG Maker MV was announced, I was bombarded with ads. How could I resist?

This time, I told myself, I was going to make my dream come true. I would make Singalin a reality. Not wanting to repeat my mistakes, I aimed to make a small RPG with a short plot. It might not have a lot of custom graphics, a lot of advanced tech, or even a well-written story. But, it's the best I can do without burning out like I did a decade earlier.

Three months later, my 26-year-old RPG is 90% done. It's about 15 hours in length and took 700 hours to make (my girlfriend was not happy). In a few weeks, I can finally move on.

Thanks, RPG Maker MV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Congrats! Can't wait to see your dream project at full capacity! 

Don't let your dreams be dreams. Just do it. 

Vo91xAT.jpg

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This post struck a chord with me.

I didn't have experience with the PSX version of RPG Maker, but I also had my first shot at "making my dream RPG" with RM95 and RM2K way back when. Similar to you, what I had in mind back then wasn't a playable game, it was a fantasy of things I found cool that I wanted to replicate, on a scale way too big for a teenager to handle.

Fast forward a decade or so later, and I'm also finding myself returning to MV to finish what I started. I guess the only difference between us is` that, with the education and experience I've gained between then and now, I'm confident in my ability to execute and follow-through without the burnout that I succumbed to back then.

In any event, its cool to read the experiences from someone who also had decade-long roots.

Cheers!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Some screenshots of the pub and lodging with the beginnings of clutter taking shape
TTp8uCw.png

jtC202e.png

bSXgyVl.png

eRx9PUF.png
Backgrounds are not my strong suit... :kaodes:
DazI8jt.jpg

Just realized I forgot doing the clouds... woops
Went to get some stuff for February 10, the birthday of my favorite ink monster...
I have a little one-person party for Bendy every year, complete with the life-size plushie I made. And yes, I bake a birthday cake!
So technically I just ate sausages that were a year old. Use by date was 12/27/2021. But since those dates are just guesses with no scientific reasoning behind them I'll prolly be fine. Guess I know soon if I'm praying to the Porcelain God.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crticodead