RMMV Journey On - Exploration focused JRPG (Demo Available)

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV

ForumTop.png
SYNOPSIS
Experience a world of life and death in this exploration focused, anime style JRPG.

As darkness rises, two young adventurers went on a journey to save their village.

Play as two sisters with different personalities and skill sets.
Utilize necromancy to summon souls from the past and learn the secrets of this world.
Will you choose the path of light, or of darkness?
4 different endings based on your decisions during the adventure!

FEATURES
  • A world with a strong focus on environmental storytelling. Exploration will be rewarded with additional storylines, new equipment and skills.​
  • Customize your playstyle and party roles by mixing different skills and equipment that you’ve found. Be a tank, physical/magical/DoT DPS, melee mage or support.​
  • A world that reacts to player decisions. Certain in-game choices have game altering effects.​
  • Cute girls!​

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
3.PNG
Home sweet home.

1594500462405.png
A graveyard below the cliff.

Cooking.PNG
Cooking at camp

raft.PNG
On a raft.

Temple.PNG
Abandoned temple.

Menu.PNG
Menu

Summon.PNG
Summon a spirit to assist in a battle.

Past.PNG
A dark past.

PLOT AND CHARACTERS
As darkness rises, Selena and Shirley embark on a journey to save their village.
Between the power of light and darkness, they must make a choice...and support each other.

Selena.png
Selena
The younger sister in the family. An energetic teenage girl who wants to be an adventurer like her grandfather.
Initial Class: Novice Adventurer
Shirley.png
Shirley
The older sister in the family. A gentle scholar who is knowledgeable in Ancient Language and history.
Initial Class: Dark Scholar

GAMEPLAY
Soul Corruption System-A World That Reacts to Player's Choice
Players can choose to "corrupt" Shirley's soul for additional abilities and different story path. It will also change how the world reacts to the player choice.

SS1.PNG
No corruption

SS2.PNG
With corruption

Between the power of light and darkness, which path would you choose?

DEMO
Demo V1 is out! Download link:

CREDITS
Assets:
KADOKAWA, Degica

Add-on Series Resource Pack:
(C) Gotcha Gotcha Games Inc.

Graphic
Archeia
Caz
PandaMaru
Candacis
whtdragon
Alilali
Avery
hiddenone
BIT/O https://bit-orchard.hatenablog.com/

Music:
Murray Atkinson
YouFulca
Gyrowolf

Scripts:
Yanfly
biud436
Galv
SumRndmDde
Atreyo Ray
Tor Damian Design
Mr. Trivel
Jory4001
Fallen Angel Olivia
Continuum
サンシロ https://twitter.com/rev2nym
Krimer
Rehtinor
Aries
HimeWorks
Shio_inu
Karberus

Follow Us on Twitter for updates coming soon!​

Attachments

Last edited:

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Been working on a new hud for map screen. In this game skills can be used directly on the map to reduce damage taken from traps. Hud for HP and MP can be turned on and off with a hot key.

UI Test.PNG

A pre-alpha demo will be out this week!

Last edited:

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game doesn't look half-bad!!

Reactions: bmg

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump!

Demo V1 is out! You can download the file here:

This version has roughly 1-2 hour of playtime, it's still pretty rough so feel free to share any comment that you may have!

Current schedule for the upcoming update:
  • We are going to add a new HUD on the map.
  • New battle menu.
  • Improve cooking menu by displaying ingredients currently owned.
  • More action sequences.
  • More parallax mapping and RTP edits.
  • Hard mode!
Feel free to reach out to us by posting a comment if you have any suggestions!

Last edited:

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really enjoyed playing the first 30mins of the demo, this game is great so far!
I can't wait to see more of it!

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really enjoyed playing the first 30mins of the demo, this game is great so far!
I can't wait to see more of it!

Thanks ^^

I'm glad you are having fun! :)

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump!

Some update since our last demo release:

1) We are adding equip change command, which is a highly requested feature by our testers . Players will be able to change equipment every 5 turns.

Additionally we are changing how ranged attack works against flying enemies. Melee weapons like swords or spears will no longer hit flying enemies, only ranged weapons like bows will hit them.

We will also reduce the HP of flying enemies to accommodate this change.

Twitter.PNG

2) We are adding pixel movement system to the game, so Shirley looks more natural when she follows Selena around on the map.

Movement.PNG

*Since pixel movement needs more testing, demo V2 will be delayed.

We also updated the 1st post by adding more information about the Soul Corruption System.

Currently, our alpha is about 75% done. The game is scheduled to release by the end of 2020.

If you are interested in this game, follow us on Twitter! Steam page coming soon!

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump for October development update!

We are happy to announce that the alpha version of the game is almost complete! We are currently working on the ending cutscenes, pretty soon we will start polishing the game and testing the game balance.

Here are some of the new enemies that we implemented recently, each of them has special mechanics for players to deal with.

EiSezISU0AUaO8X.jpg

The "Faddies". Despite the cute appearance, they can be pretty mean ….

Mob1.jpg
Dullahan and the undead soldier.

mob2.jpg

The Corrupted King.

We also made a new portrait for Selena's advance class, Holy Warrior:
Character.jpg

Follow us on Twitter for future updates:
https://twitter.com/JourneyOnGame

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Testing the new battle menu....
The alpha version is done, we are working on polishing, battle balancing and bug fixing.

New2.PNG

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try the game out, maps looks nice, so I hope the story as well =)
will give bug reports during/after beating the demo ^^

EDIT:
I think there is a minor issue on the warriors teaching book (I)
it says it learn "burning arrow" but it learned Taunt instead, is that a mistake?

Also, when you wan to use "Call Spirit" at the coffin, you don't have enough MP,
but you don't need MP on corpses? which the skill works.

on the side note of those, there arent any Restore MP items (or not yet) early on.
so it will be harder to use spells if you cant restore MP.

Last edited:

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try the game out, maps looks nice, so I hope the story as well =)
will give bug reports during/after beating the demo ^^

EDIT:
I think there is a minor issue on the warriors teaching book (I)
it says it learn "burning arrow" but it learned Taunt instead, is that a mistake?

Also, when you wan to use "Call Spirit" at the coffin, you don't have enough MP,
but you don't need MP on corpses? which the skill works.

on the side note of those, there arent any Restore MP items (or not yet) early on.
so it will be harder to use spells if you cant restore MP.
Hi, thanks for trying it out! :)

About the glitches:

1) The Taunt book indeed has a text error. I just fixed it, thank you for letting me know. :)

2) You are supposed to receive a "Not enough MP" message if you have less 15 MP. See screenshot below:
SS3.PNG

If you can cast the spell without MP, then it's a bug. Can you tell me which corpse has this bug?

3) You can get MP restore items by killing ghosts, but it's not a common drop, and it doesn't recover a lot until late game. Therefore, if you choose not to corrupt the mage then the game will be more difficult with MP limitation.

It is intended design to make the player feel like getting tons of MP/magic/spell bonus from the "dark path" so they have the incentive to power up their mage. But those who choose not to do the dark path can get other bonus from the storyline too.

Capture.PNG

I am still testing battle balance, so stats can change. But so far I feel I have more than enough MP if I fully corrupt my character. Battles are more difficult in the light path storyline with small MP pool but it's meant to be.

I can make MP item more of a common drop, but I do not want to make light path storyline feel like a cake walk with tons of MP recovery items. So I need more feedback definitely.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's all corpse though, not coffins, so I dont know if it's every sign;e corpse, like it
doesn't use MP at all on those.

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's all corpse though, not coffins, so I dont know if it's every sign;e corpse, like it
doesn't use MP at all on those.
Alright, I think I found them. I'll fix that soon!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on the start, on the grave when you have call spirit, the most left one, has a typo on "retrive"
for the necklace which is "retrieve".

also on the demon further in (no MP here), when he summon a shield ghost, you do 0 dmg,
but not that is a problem, but you cannot select the shield to get rid of it.

so I might need to town to get rest for MP and retry that part, to see if I can beat it.
but I dont know how to select shield ghost he summond for suffering.

and on side of that, shirley go to a darkness space, is there a light/dark path to choose?
for the skills that become stronger the more use of dark or the more use of light and
dark weakens? or light, depending the path? or is it the way she need to go on the dark path?

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also on the demon further in (no MP here), when he summon a shield ghost, you do 0 dmg,
but not that is a problem, but you cannot select the shield to get rid of it.

so I might need to town to get rest for MP and retry that part, to see if I can beat it.
but I dont know how to select shield ghost he summond for suffering.
Hello, thanks for letting me know about the typo, I fixed it in the current build. :)

About the ghost, I quickly tested the fight in the engine, I can select it no problem:
Capture.PNG

I tried both keyboard and mouse, both worked.

Do you mean you can't hit it? Ghosts in this game have 100% evasion rate against physical weapons. You have to use energy or mental attack to hit them.

In the prison, you can find a spell book for the spell "Pain", which can damage ghosts with mental damage. Alternatively you can summon a spirit NPC to help you and spirits can always hit another spirit.

By the way, you do not need to go back to town for MP, you can rest at the prison camp, it's pretty close.

and on side of that, shirley go to a darkness space, is there a light/dark path to choose?
for the skills that become stronger the more use of dark or the more use of light and
dark weakens? or light, depending the path? or is it the way she need to go on the dark path?
About the dark/light path thing, this is how it works (MAJOR SPOILER WARNING****):

Whenever the older sister goes to sleep at camp, she enters sanctuary and from there she can absorb the power of the Darkness to get stronger. Each time she got stronger her souls got corrupted more, and additional story from the past gets revealed.

Later on in the game, depending on her corruption level, NPC and enemy may act differently towards her. That's the dark path.

If you choose never corrupt her soul, the story may change slightly, and she'll be nicer to NPCs that she encountered. Although the game also got (much)harder. That's the light path.

You can also stay somewhere in between, or find a way to save her in the later story. There will be 4 different endings based on your decision in the story.

I've been wondering if I should make this mechanic more clearly explained in game. It's pretty tough to find the balance since I don't want to completely spoil everything, on the same time I also want players to make decisions because they know what they're getting into.

If you have any suggestions about this mechanic, I'd love to hear from you. My goal is to make a JRPG with more interactive narrative experience.

raffle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was a comfy ride, I love the artstyle for Selena and Shirley, keep it up! :D

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the weird thing is, if you just battle, and go to the sanctuary, I had already 95 or 120+ darkness,
you need 100 to open a path, than 200, so I wonder how you get already dark points to begin with.

I cannot select the ghost somehow, but I saw a nice game that also have a dark/light path,
dark - balanced - light

if you make choices to dark, you get x points to darkness, if you choose neutral, you stay
in between dark and light, if you make nice choices, you get light points.

this is done so far I know ith 2 variables, 1 dark, 1 lights (SRD_Supertools) was used I think,
because dark add points and fill up to the left, if you add light, it goes to the right.

I cannot exact tell how its done, because if you add light, it subtract from dark if you have
dark there, or if you have some light, than it subtract from light and left overs goes to dark
or vice versa.

this system was really nice build though, but when npc say different things, you need also
base those on variables.

the story further is nice, so keep up the nice work :)

bmg

Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
English/Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the weird thing is, if you just battle, and go to the sanctuary, I had already 95 or 120+ darkness,
you need 100 to open a path, than 200, so I wonder how you get already dark points to begin with.

I cannot select the ghost somehow, but I saw a nice game that also have a dark/light path,
dark - balanced - light

if you make choices to dark, you get x points to darkness, if you choose neutral, you stay
in between dark and light, if you make nice choices, you get light points.

this is done so far I know ith 2 variables, 1 dark, 1 lights (SRD_Supertools) was used I think,
because dark add points and fill up to the left, if you add light, it goes to the right.

I cannot exact tell how its done, because if you add light, it subtract from dark if you have
dark there, or if you have some light, than it subtract from light and left overs goes to dark
or vice versa.

this system was really nice build though, but when npc say different things, you need also
base those on variables.

the story further is nice, so keep up the nice work :)
Yes, in many other RPG games you can be a bad guy then "get good" again by obtaining "good points". :)

But I'd like to try something new, by making a game that once the character "get evil", you can no longer "get good" again. You can still obtain good endings, but it will be different. Players will have to make the choice and deal with the consequences.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a simialir one that in a starwars game with evil and good, once evil, it is extremly
difficult to become good (to low quests in order to do this), but it's hard to making something
unique in your game.

for example, Mana Raiders has one of it's battle system, not found ANYWHERE or in ANY game
on this forum, probably not even in a game YET.

he did alot of time in this system, he make also another game, that battle system is also
probably one of its kind and many mechanic not found in any game. (not out yet)

you can do so many things if you use the full potential of the software and plugins,
and find a qay to make it unique, but it should also fitting to the game and story you tell.

but I'm looking forward where you bring the evil/good path to it.

something like 3 hidden paths acros the map(s), like the next example:
there are 3 path, evil (-100 or over), balanced, -25 ~ +25, light +100 or over

2 paths are ALWAYS blocked, and 1 open (different places, different spots)
so if ou go pure evil, 1 path is open while balanced and light path are closed, (permantly)
you MUST figure out how to impliment this system, so you can never drop below 26,
or balanced can be used (can be done around late game)), because you wont get or lose
evil/light points. for unique weapons.

when pure evil (unique powerfull dark weapon(s))
when balanced, powerfull enough which is not evil or light
when pure light, unique powerfull light weapon

or armors, necklace etc, can be strongest or 2nd strongest gear you can get and very well hidden,
so it's not directly spotted or by an npc that give acces etc, you need to find a way for this.

while this is only a suggestion/feedback, there are many, many methodes how you can do this part.
while this is only 1 out of 7 I know, but there are way more than that, each have their own way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

rux
The most words I have ever written in an entire document is in my game's script, jeez i have a lot of characters that ramble on
Yes! I finally did something! This is a picture I drew of what I wish I looked like; I hope that you guys like it!
Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DawnStar