Joy Diamond: Technology officer of the Crystal project

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by Joy Diamond, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to use this thread as my blog. Entries will appear in SPOILER tags. -- Joy Diamond.

Greetings,

I'm Joy Diamond. I have been a programmer for 40+ years, and have a passion for teaching others to program.
    • I believe programming games can teach useful skills to assist in getting a job (certainly it has helped me that way many times over the last 35 years).
    I believe modifying a game is the best way to learn the joy of programming (since that is how I started 40 years ago & fell in love with programming).

I'd love to work cooperatively with the RPG Maker community to build a game in RPG Maker MV (and probably also in Visual Novel Maker).

I'd really appreciate help from the community in putting together a proposal for my first game.
    Brief description of the Crystal Project (more details at the link):
    1. Crystal: Cooperative Resource Yielding Simple Tutorials and Lessons
    2. An RPG Maker MV Tool that guides you to create your first NPC, have it respond when touched by the player's avatar & walk around. This RPG Maker MV tool is actually a game created in RPG Maker MV.
    3. When you "save" or "playtest" your work, Crystal will read the JSON files you modified & then guide you (i.e.: it will walk you through the quest of creating the NPC).
    4. The demo game you will be modifying will actually be Crystal also (So you can examine the NPC's you are talking to in the tutorial that are guiding you, & see their source code)
    5. You will be able to upload your changes to a server (uploading consists of only the JSON files)
    6. You will be able to download someone's else's NPC into your version of Crystal & interact with it
    7. This is to encourage the person who is new to RPG Maker MV to share their first work, & will give them an easy way to share it.
    I've invited a few of my real life friends who are interested in the Crystal Project to join the forums, so they should be appearing over the next week or so.
    Thanks,

Joy Diamond.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sounds super cool! Welcome!

3. High Plains Design Studio

High Plains Design Studio Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello. I am new to this MV group. I decided to dedicate "most" of my time to creating video games. After trying out a few frameworks, I've decided to stick with MV. I'll be watching your project. Nice to meet anyone that may be here.

4. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings,

Here are my thoughts on licensing which I was writing in another thread as a response to:

My response got too long to that thread; so I'll move it here:​

Licensing is an unfortunate (due to the laws) but necessary part of an open source project. With clear licensing agreement by everyone up front, once the project thrives, it will be a lot less likely be encumbered by legal issues related to licensing.

It has taken the open source programming community more than 20 years to grapple with the complex issues of licensing.

The turning point (although it took many years to recognize) was the book The Cathedral & The Bazaar. From the Wikipedia article link:

"The essay contrasts two different free software development models:
    • The Cathedral model, in which source code is available with each software release, but code developed between releases is restricted to an exclusive group of software developers. GNU Emacs and GCC were presented as examples.
    • The Bazaar model, in which the code is developed over the Internet in view of the public ...
    The essay's central thesis is Raymond's proposition that "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" (which he terms Linus's Law): the more widely available the source code is for public testing, scrutiny, and experimentation, the more rapidly all forms of bugs will be discovered. In contrast, Raymond claims that an inordinate amount of time and energy must be spent hunting for bugs in the Cathedral model, since the working version of the code is available only to a few developers."
    The importance & value of shallow bugs to the RPG Maker community is immense & worth the costs of getting licensing correct.
    A community that is supporting an open source project makes it 10x to 100x more value than a single person project.
    • With a well functioning community you can solve bugs & help one another solve problems quickly (including when the original developer is one vacation, or is no longer as involved in the project).
    Here is an example of solving a bug Mog cursor border, and also a further explanation of the value of a community that works together:

This is what it means above that "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" ... I'm sure as a user of software that has frustrated you multiple times in the past, often for hours; you recognize the value of less buggy software is often 10x to 100x that of buggy software.

The reason the open source programming community took more than 20 years to grapple with the complex issues of licensing is they imagined it was a legal issue. It is not. It is a trust issue.

The license that a project picks, fundamentally says what kind of team it will be & how much they trust each other & others.

So, in the programming open source community they started with a license that exhibits lack of trust (in particular lack of trust of corporations, with the idea that the corporations want to rip off the free work of programmers that produce open source):
    • This was reflected by the wide scale adoption of the GNU Public License which was championed by Richard Stallman ... one of the most visionary people ... and a major founder of the start of the open source idea.
    Getting past these issue of trust has meant turning away (for new projects) from GNU Public License and towards the MIT license.
    • A major part of this growth of maturity in the programming open source community was also the realization that rather than enemies of each other, corporations and programmers are actually partners.
    • Writing open source, especially successful open source with large teams, is an arduous effort ... and one that two few programmers can afford to do for free.
    • Thus with corporate sponsorship, open source projects can be much larger & last for many years. In fact, at this point many open source projects aspire to acquire corporate sponsorship as it will make their project even more successful (and hence more valuable to users of the open source).
    • Again, this interacts very strongly with the statement above that "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow". As per above, this is worth so much, that it make sense to compromise to achieve this as it can significantly increase the likelihood of the open source project succeeding; and succeeding not just for a short time of a few month, but for years ...
    From another posting of mine yesterday:

Thus since I am addressing the Artistic community in this post, a lot of what I write probably sounds strange. It is strange.
    • As excellent as the MIT license is for the programming open source community (which has had a very had 20 year journey to get there) is not appropriate for the Artistic community.
    • And the programming community does not often recognize that.
    • This lead to massive (and inappropriate fights) between the programing community & the Artistic community, which makes it hard for them to work together. (This has to grow up & mature, just like the programming open source community needed to mature over 20+ years and move from the GNU Public License and towards the MIT license.

Anyway, hopefully this is a good introduction to the complexities of licensing & its importance. Solving it properly means you have solved the trust issue of a team.

For anyone who has read this too long response of mine ... Thanks ... :eek:

Verbosely,

Joy Diamond

upload_2017-11-17_15-54-50.png

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    dbchest likes this.