JS Plugins beginner

Charles2020

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am a python developer but just started JS to develop JS plugin. Is there a good basic tutorial video that can help familiar with RMMV code and structure before developing plugin ?

Thanks

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Learning Javascript. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

JS by itself is a simple language, easy to understand and get used to, especially if you're already a coder and have knowledge about programming in general. I assume you know all the basic stuff like what are strings, arrays, conditionals, loops, inheritance, etc. You can do a quick course on w3schools. Here's the link:

That should be quick. After that, the real "hard" part is actually learning the RPG Maker MV engine's framework. For that maybe a more practical tutorial would help, for example someone showing how to code a menu in RPG Maker. But basically, RPG Maker is formed by a couple of main objects from which all other objects are derived:
  • Window_Base: it's the parent object of all window objects in the engine.
  • Sprite_Base: It's the parent object of all sprite objects in the engine.
  • Scene_Base: It's the parent object of all scenes in the engine.
  • Graphics: Handles the graphics.
  • AudioManager: Handles all the audio.
  • ImageManager: Handles all the loading of images into ram.
  • SceneManager: Controls the displayed scene on the screen (you basically push scene objects inside it).
  • Input: Manages all the inputs.
  • etc.
I listed a couple, but once you get a hang of the general logic of the engine it's really easy to just open the core code and understand how it works.

Hope that helps.

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something that really helped me get familiar with the engine is trying things in the console during playtest. If you bring up the console and type for example $gameMap. or Graphics. (with the dots), without pressing enter, you get a list of all the objects beloning to that main object. So it's really easy to find settings and test them on the spot. To get a list of all the main objects and functions in the game, just type window. (dot included). Many of them have their own objects so try them with a dot to see what comes up. Altering them in the console doesn't change the files so you can go wild and test things to your heart's content.

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
Another good starting point is to look for plugins other people created that somewhat do what you want to do and then debug the plugins and see what happens.
I also really liked SRDs youtube tutorial on how to create a plugin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Wanted to post a video of location i've finished but it doesn't work...
The game jam has done a lot of good in actually kicking my butt into action. I've even gotten over my crippling hatred of mapping thanks to it! :LZSexcite:

(Okay, there's also schoolwork forcing me to get on the computer, but I like to give credit where credit is due.)
Decided to start working on my second biome/area...

I'm sure I'll end up hating and changing things a whole lot over the next week. :LZSexcite:
Anyone who says anything "needs to tone down the swearing" has just instantly lost 90% of my respect, unless of course they're talking about like children's programming or a teacher or something.
I feel bad sometimes around others, I hate, and I mean HATE being touched, and I know they don't know I hate it so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiive