Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

j5H1UTS.png

Once again, a new month has crept up on us! Let us know what you want to do this month

and how it's going!

Also - anyone who wanted to do a drawing for one of the headers - I failed last month at organizing it. If you want to do a drawing, please send me a message and let me know which month you would like to do. If there are conflicts of months, we will work it out. Thanks everyone!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
At last I return to the fold.  Everything seems thoroughly healed and working as it should, so health ought not to be the thing that holds me back.  I expect something else will pop out of the woodwork, though.

So, my overall goal is to get back into my game after such a long break.  

Sub-goals

• I have discovered one possible game-breaking flaw with Khas Ultimate lighting script (yeah, the commercial one).  It looks like it might not be possible for anyone to open the game without their anti-virus program deleting the .dll file.  If that is the case, then I shall have to re-do all the lighting, fogs, tints etc. that I so laboriously put in.
  • Finish off the cut scene I was half-way through doing when I had my accident.
  • Finalize the skills and stats of the 3rd character who joins as a result of this conversation.

Not going to specify anything else, because if I have to do the first sub-goal, that is going to take a long time.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey! Welcome back to game dev! Glad you are feeling better and up to it!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ksjp17: Welcome back to the thread!

My July goals:

-Finish the maps for Chapter 8. I got about halfway done last month.

-Polish up Chapter 3 to release quality. That is going to be a big one as that requires me to finish implementing three towns that are just shells, as well as polish the two different ways you can get to your destination. May roll into August some in the end.

Stretch goals:

-Polish Chapter 4 up to release quality. Thankfully that is a very linear chapter, so not as long to do.

-Finish Chapter 8.

Currently working on polishing up the underwater route you can take in Chapter 3 this weekend, so maybe I'll have one route done and in good shape by the end of the weekend.

DarkBooDev

Destroyer of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well after my original computer decided to commit seppuku, I'm glad to finally be able to get back to working on "Penelope" after a period of inactivity. And now I don't have to worry about school factoring into my schedule for another 2 months! :D

My goals for this month are:

- finish the 1st area of my game completely (involves adding a few events, two maps left, nothing too major)

- implement the sprite assets for the second area of my game (I'll probably not have time to implement all the events for the 2nd area by this month's end)

- fix a few bugs I currently have related to the free movement system I currently have

- polish a few older sprites

Well, wish me luck everyone! ;)  best of luck to your game developments as well!

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For this month, my goals are:

-Polish the events up to at least the second boss. (If possible all of them)

-Redraw the faces and cutscenes

-Draw Skit images

I'll probably switch my focus from the events to the graphics soon, since I'd like to release a demo this month and I'm sure I won't be able to polish all events AND redraw the faces until then.

Feenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a demo I want to get out by the end of the month, and getting that done will probably eat up a lot of my time.

To-do list:

• Finish up all the enemies [4 boss-type enemies I want to get drawn up, plus I need to convert a few regular enemies I sketched up into sprites]
  • Draw the player character graphics [both of the characters I have planned out haven't been drawn yet]
  • Draw some cutins [will probably just sketch them out, then downsize and import them in]
  • Lots of attack animations to draw
  • Getting all the enemies set up
  • All the map events, quests, and shops
  • The special systems I want to throw in [the main one has already been scripted, but I need to set up all the stuff that goes in it]
  • A few special backdrops

This... is definitely a lot, but as I did make a game in this amount of time that was a good bit longer than what I have planned here I feel I should be able to crank out all this by the deadline.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Welcome to July everyone, and welcome BACK to game dev kjsp17 & DarkBooDev! 

I hope to see a flurry of updates here this month from everybody.

My goals are small this month. Get my site online, and try to better understand what makes my game rack up the hits. Is it marketing? Or is it good enough to be carried by word of mouth. I should check youtube for LPs if there are any.

I also want to finish the first game i had ever started. That should be done either today or tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone this month and beyond!

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Goals for July:

-Finish with the NPC dialogues.

-Complete all the optional scenes.

-Make some dungeons.

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My July Goasl:
-Complete 1 came before August 1st.
-Work on improving my exteriors (Pretty decent with interiors)
-Don't give up on the 1 Game in 1 Month Challenge when I'm just 1/50th of the way through.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
All right!  Happy Canada Day and Independence Day and :p   It will be Daughter cat day soon too!

And one thing on my list;

$Evilgod

Must finish it! (again/still... Tell me in MV they didn't go there!)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah, looks like I'm first to check in today.

Some interesting goals up there.

My progress for today is - not much.  Sorted out a couple of errors on sprites, did some slight re-jigging on a map that I wasn't too happy with, and started going through map by map to find out where exactly all script calls etc. relating to lighting/tints are so that if I do take out Khas' script (nearly wrote Kaus then) I shall know how much and where replacements will be needed.  Tedious stuff, but necessary.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ksjp17: Hope you can fix the problem so that you don't have to remove the script!

7.1 and 7.2 Update: Spent yesterday and today tweaking dialogues and balancing enemies in chapter 3. Proving tough due to how open chapter 3 is, and some players may not do all the side stuff. May have to return to this with a playthrough that does the bare minimum to make sure I'm not being too brutal.

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ksjp17 That's why I've started referring to them as ArcThunder's scripts (Khas ArcThunder) so that can't happen.

Well, July is here. Half the year just vanished out of nowhere, it seems. As to what I plan to do in July, I'm hoping to complete Chapter 1 of my newest game, with a stretch goal of getting Chapter 2 started.

Best bet: July 8-14, 15-22, 30-31. So-so: July 1-2, 5-7, 23-29. Worst: July 3 and 4, due to the Fourth of July holiday. Or is it the Fourth of July holiwork? Ah, retail...

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Just rediscovered that $Eg got 3 heads and therefore needs 3 face on my faceset sheet.  :x

*plans to do $Eg piniata and beat the candies out of it!*

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@VideoWizard: Did you change projects? I thought you had chapter 1 done already.

@Marquise*: You know, you should make a 1x1 tile (or 32 x 32 pixels) evil god piñata. Would make a funny item for people to buy in their video games.

7.3 Update: Spent today mapping a farm area I'd skipped over. Now you can enter into the Riverdale farms. At the moment there's nothing to do there, but I'm working on changing that over the next couple days.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@VideoWizard I thought you had chapter one done as well.  Or does that reference to "newest game" mean that while I was away you ditched the one you had been working on and have started a new one?

I've been doing research - yeah, I know that's what everyone calls playing a game to make themselves feel better, but this was genuine research.  I wanted to check out different ways of handling certain skills.  I came across one that I had managed to suppress totally from my memory, but which had managed to stick around on my hard drive.  

On the basis that one can learn almost as much from a bad example as from a good one - I give you someone's take on how to do skills.

• Lots of them, and can only be learnt through a skill tree. 
  • Except for a few healing/resurrection skills which can also be used at any time, all battle skills are only visible to the player during the battle, i.e. they don't show up in the skills list accessed from the menu.

I don't agree with the idea that battle skills should not be viewable at other times, but here's where things start really going downhill.

• In battle, there are no descriptions of what the skills do, just the names.
  • As you can only see a description in the skill tree, you go there (outside of battle time) to try and remind yourself of exactly what the skills do.
  • But a significant number of them have a different name in the skill list than they have in the battle list.  So it is not obvious which relates to what, and makes the already tedious job of committing all these skills to memory that much harder.

What made this dev think this was a good design decision for the skills?

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@bgillisp Nope, that was the intro/prologue of the game. Chapter 1 centers around an evil king and his "secret" weapon, which he uses to destroy a major character's town. And the source of the destruction looks rather familiar...

@ksjp17 I started this project a little while back, around March. The other project isn't dead but it is in hiatus while I figure out how to create the location that fits where it is in the story.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I worked on sprites for the groundskeeper NPC found in the heroes' sky base.

WigginsWIP.png

Matching dialogue portraits too. The right column is for the head Florencebot, a healing NPC found in the main city.

NPCExpressionsWIP.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Always fun when you keep running into problems story wise, finding holes in various story details when you stop and think, "Hey, wait a minute, this doesn't make sense!" yet you can't think of any good explanations either.

I thought of a name for my Magic- Resonance - but I can't think of anything for TP. This is a music themed world, so my friend thought of Static Energy... except static is bad if we're talking sound, and it implies no movement or change within which doesn't work for physical based skills, particularly for Alto, my Bard, who has skills based around both TP and MP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My number one take away from this game jam is to make small games that are as polished and bug free as possible. Far less dev time, and if the game flops, it matters less because my time investment is much lower. Also, whatever ambitions I have... aim for about 10% of them. They are clearly too high, and will involve stuff that likely won't matter.
I'm finally back! :kaojoy:
A lot of RL issues happened this year which didn't let me work on Aithne as much, but I am back with new inspiration!
In that time my art style also changed a little, so I'll be doing a small art change with busts/menu art
Ops forgot to fix the hand on the weaponless sprite o_O
opening old GIMP files is a blessing and a curse because it can be fun to look at art you started once upon a time and want to finish BUT come to a total halt when you remember your past self forgot to create separate layers for most files

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayJHatchet