Jump Help

ironjoebob7

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey Guys.

I am trying to make a common event where you can push a button and your char will jump forward two spaces (to jump over holes and what not)

I got the jumping to work but he will jump regardless of what he lands on... how do i make it so people can't just jump onto things, and right

out of the map. really hope someone knows how to fix this, preferably with just events.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Event that involves movement.

Press my spoiler get my game tutorial. ;)

Also read  @Andar's tutorials!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the issue here is that the player could elect to jump onto something that would normally be impassable/inaccessible, and the OP wants to block that, rather than "how do I get the party to jump".

I'm not sure that this is solvable if you are using a common event.  If this is something that you want the player to be able to use anywhere, which is what it sounds like, then that's what they will do.

Might it not be simpler to have an event on the tile before the obstacle which calls up a common event which checks which way the player is facing and then jumps the player 2 tiles in that same direction?  No initial event, no jump, so no going anywhere inappropriate.  And you are still saving time by using a common event.

Shinma

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One problem you will run into is that if you just do an "advance 2 tiles" type of command you will not get the illusion of jumping. 

If you want a true jump mechanic I think Ksjp17 may know of a script for one.

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you provide a screenshot of how you evented jumping in your game, please?

If you mean to use strictly events to overcome the problem, you can use a common event with a 'parallel process' trigger to check for a region ID (to disable jumping on certain tiles), or a tile's terrain tag (to enable jumping).

You will need to place multiples of a region ID in your maps if you intend to make the player jump everywhere, but not onto certain tiles (eg. edge of the map).

It may be better to just restrict jumping to tiles tagged with terrain tag (e.g. fences), rather than allowing free jumping if you want to use pure eventing and are still getting used to your RM. It is possible, but you will need to be familiar with the basics first.

MisterTorgue

Explosioooooooons!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Explosions!
Primarily Uses
I personally haven't used the jump on key thing, as it's a LOT more planning on maps to where you stop people jumping and such (and since I currently work a lone) I don't want to put in unnecessary work for very little reward to the players.

I do however, have jumping over ledges in the game, simply make a jump event on a map where they can jump and away you go, I even have a tutorial event to explain when you should be able to jump!

Last edited by a moderator:

ironjoebob7

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you everyone for the quick replies,

You have been alot of help.

I'm new to this forum

and have to say that I love how quick and 

helpful your replies were.

Thank you.  :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
aero the acrobat 2 on sega had some absolute bangers on the ost... why Meeting Dr. Dis was just for a cutscene and not a boss makes me sad lol
"I want custom, more lively looking grass for my forest map."

"Just set overworld grass as outside grass."

--RM Wisdom--
Any thoughts on my hexagon map system?
Idk where this post would go, so how do you change the font of the choice selection window? I have a different font for the game so it looks a little odd could someone tell me where this would go on the forum?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexyahoo