Jumping onto objects

marocube

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not so familiar with forums, but I wasn't sure if this was already achievable with the plugins I've been using, hence new request.

Galv's jump plugin:

Yanfly's smart jump plugin:

Basically what I'm trying to do is have characters be able jump onto objects such as boxes or tables. The player should be unable to walk directly onto the tile, only jump onto it. For example, there's a row of boxes the character is unable to walk onto, however, once they jump onto the boxes, they are able to walk on them.

Although most of the boxes are one tile in height, so there is no tile gap between the object and the player. (Not sure if I'm explaining this clearly enough - in Yanfly's plugin video, the jumping puzzle involves the character jumping onto different platforms, however all of that has a water tile between them. Mine would be directly from the floor to the object on the next tile.) I assume I would have to make two-tile boxes if this is unachievable.

Like so:

..And they should be able to continue walking along the tables/boxes without being able to walk back down without having to jump.

I have custom tiles/sprites that won't be from a topdown view. I'm not aiming to make a platformer, I just need the ability to allow characters to jump onto objects / the above tile without being able to walk onto them. If this is achievable without the need of a new plugin, please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited:

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if this would work, but... what if you used Galv's jump plugin and set the jump distance to 1? The only tricky bit then is letting them walk along the tables/boxes once they're on them... I think it would work if the tables/boxes were autotiles, but the default ones aren't. Maybe you could have three copies of each tile? One version can be entered from left and right, one from only left, and one from only right. Maybe a fourth copy which is totally impassable. Obviously that would require editing the tilesheet though to duplicate each of the box/table tiles.

marocube

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Solar_Flare
Right now the boxes aren't the problem, they're just a placeholder since I have custom tiles, but the idea is the same. I would like the boxes to be jumped on from the front as well... Or maybe only from the front instead of the sides, if that's possible. (But not the back since sideview)

Changing the jump distance doesn't seem to do anything either, I can't get onto the box. Do I have to do something with the tile passability? I messed around with it and was able to allow the player to jump down from the boxes...and walk onto them... but not jump onto, weirdly enough.

Or... Could I do anything with the Equal Regions parameter in Yanfly's plugin? I'm not so sure how to make it work, I don't quite understand their instructions...

Last edited:

marocube

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hyouryuu-Na I've seen this plugin before and don't really want to use it, since it messes up some stuff + adds unnecessary things that I don't know how to change or disable :[
I've tried working with an open source project using this plugin but I couldn't quite get it to work... and I'm not making a platformer. But thank you anyway!

marocube

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might just scrap the idea if it's unachievable, but bumping again in case.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the best way I can think off, is to make the box an event, 1 that you cant jup on and 1 with,
you can put a region if you are able to jump on it, or use an event to go on it and block
walking up and down unless a button is pressed.

there are some methodes you can use for this, but it can be clunky, but its working otherwise.

marocube

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShadowDragon

Hmm that seems like a lot of events.. But anyway, thank you.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not really, you just need 1 event in fron of the box where you can jump on it and off on the box.
than you ned 4 or 5 duplicate boxes, each with their own block < > 1 for up and down,
one for each corner (if you can walk down) so the player cant go off, only the starting place.

I would do it that way, but I dont think there is any plugin for it yet though.
you basicly need 4 events in total, starting point (with face direction in order to jump on it)
else it does nothing in front of the box, and when ON it, 1 with face direction to jump OFF,
the same on the end of the boxes or where you can go up higher.

of course, you can also make it so it can go off :p
you can also make 1 event and check region ID, where it can jump on/off on face direction.
you might need more regions to check face direction the player is on.

else try requesting a plugin like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Welp, ended up at the hospital with the oldest so mebbe might make the game jam's deadline. Maybe not. Regardless, really digging MZ.
I had lots of fun! Kids loved me, and some took pictures. Unfortunately, the videos didn't send... but you'll see Chica in action when I do a trailer for Fandom Scouts!
Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.
Just doing some tileset tinkering again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nitrostat