June Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Jun 1, 2019.

1. VitaliaDi

VitaliaDi Jedi Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update: Got the lore and background down for my game and refined some character designs and sketches.

Rabosion and Marquise* like this.
  2. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, so I've barely touched my game for like, the entire month (projects due and upcoming exams), so it's mostly been brainstorming and drawing stuff. The most productive things I've really done this month have been coming up with minigame ideas for my familiars, making a minimap so that you know where the enemy is during battle, and made the first map for Kemono (the beach!) After exams I'll probably delve a bit deeper, but for the next week or so, it'll mostly be very subtle.

Rabosion, Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  3. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reached my first major roadblock in presentation design for the month. While attempting to update a boss fight that is set to come two missions after the one I'm at for testing I ran into a problem impacting action sequencing definitions with a very annoying crash condition which has since been resolved.

UPDATE 20 6 2019: Realized that I had a number of concepts and plot materials that I decided to cut, and that I also had moments where I forgot to change certain things or account for unanticipated changes in my use of variables and switches so I decided that for each one I recall from when it first happened (or which occurs going forward) I'm going to cap it with OBS and put it in an incidence clip that plays during the cast numeration sequence prior to the credit roll. (That means "gag reel territory" for the Hollywood types out there.)

UPDATE 22 6 2019 part A: Time warp fail. Also, I did some more editing and completely redid my opening sequence, plus I fixed a few things where assets were unaccounted for in the latest Steam upload - things like missing guidebook illustrations (a common misappropriation on my part), switching from development assist to release soundtrack (for what should be some very obvious reasons) and provisioning the latest draft edits to common availability.

UPDATE 22 6 2019 part B: Downtime scheduled in the main development system for system updates. Also changed the main title screen to use WebM clip assets for the provision of a traditional introductory sequence (and changed some plugin code as well to accommodate the new title sequence design).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Weekly Update (6.17 - 6.23):

-The Book of Shadows is done! I do need to check and make sure the title can be used though, so I have a last step of checking against trademarks and copywrite. I have a backup title in mind if I run into issues though, my only concern is due to the Corpse Party: Book of Shadows game which came out while I was in development. Going to investigate that but can't check until July due to needing to do this in business hours, and July 1st is the start of my summer vacation!

-Soo....while I wait, I started my next project. Managed to set up the 1st area, the first monsters, the dialogue, and even the first boss, about 15 minutes of playtime on my run-through of it. Granted, there's no intro yet, so the game just starts, but I always find it easier to write intros partway in development.

-Also made a project page for the next project. Plan is to keep the next one short and probably non-commercial even. Shoulda done it first honestly, and was going to in 2014 but the original idea got scrapped, then I made one in 2016 that could have worked, but it had issues, and finally I figured out about 2 months ago how to fix it and make it a (hopefully) fun game still.

Chiara, Rabosion, Marsigne and 3 others like this.
  5. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Considering that naming conventions have been so excessively affected by that I wouldn't even bother. I'd just assume play safe and go with plan b rather than take such a calculated risk. For me that would be like concept testing a "gotcha" scene where I start with the buildup from Jaws to get the basic structure down, and then switch it to Bald Mountain for the actual public release (absent the prospect of advance clearance for some very obvious reasons).

As for my latest progress update I have completely redone the menu structure and changed the continue debrief to a more conventional "game over" sequence that allows the player to decide whether to load from the logbook (if saved progress exists of course), or to simply take the penalty and continue where he/she left off. (Or simply to end or restart the game, of course.)

6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Sorry folks. Even if kitties goes well, I am in middle nightmare bug fighting in here. I wish my computer (and stacked away material) would serve more than getting my mind out of my current health and bug situation here.

I am so very ashamed to be unproductive I want to hide! But I was thinking even hiding from you folks that I do admire was worst so... Might try to have good news and material to show before long.

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BreakerZero : The problem is, if you go by that reasoning, no title is left to use unless you name your game Ate5018atja0857q08yhogqhg9375q qq057q0657 q qp65870q67 q. Or something like that, as you can find a naming convention that is similar to about every name under the sun these days, even for your game.

Mid-Week Update:
    -Premapped the next zone. By that I mean I drew it on paper in downtime at work.
    -Took care of one of the legal tasks I needed to do before release since I got off early yesterday. One to go.

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Rabosion

Rabosion Retro Pixlr Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @bgillisp good luck with the last steps of your project and your new one!

@Marquise* no need to be ashamed, every bit of work is something productive. Life happens, and game-making is not something to risk health over. Best wishes!

My june goal was reached. With exams finished I went ahead and made some new retro tiles for MV : I released an inside bedroom tileset. I also made some other tiles (and fixed others) before my surgery today. I uploaded the fixed tiles earlier this week. Now I can gently recover in the hospital and release that second batch of tiles when I'm back home in a few weeks. :kaoblush:

Marquise* likes this.
  9. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Did the copywrite/trademark investigating today. There was one Trademark on Book of Shadows for a TV show, and the trademark was canceled years ago when the show didn't happen. Seems though it is a common name for music, common enough that it would probably count as a common title and in no danger though.

BTW for fun I also did the check on many games here, and yep, most had quite a few hits. So that's what I mean that if you want 0 hits you would need to just smash keys on your keyboard at random to title your items. Final Fantasy for instance had 241 hits, and Square has not released 241 games in the series so some of those are others with same or part of that in the title.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp OK, now I'm really curious. I did need to change my game title at one point, but I never really checked to see if there were any games with my revised title.

11. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Marquise* likes this.
  12. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    18 hits, LOL. Most of them are songs.

Marquise* likes this.
  13. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Shows what I know. Obviously I was speaking upon the side of caution in case it did have a chance to happen here but at least it looks like it may work out after all.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, that's why you want to check. I figured I'd just check at release as it is easy to change a title compared to some other things. Now they do say if someone filed for one in the last 3 months this search would miss it, but outside of that...

Now it just comes down to do I want to get the logo redone or live with it matching like 105 songs (that was how many hits I got on the copywrite database), and 3 books. Going to ponder this over the weekend, as I got time as I will not release during the Steam Summer sale anyways no matter what...or like 2 - 3 weeks after it.

15. Shake0615

Shake0615 Reanimator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finish my main menu scenes. It's slow going because I'm learning Javascript as I go and I don't know any other programming languages. But I'm amazed at how much I've learned by just studying the source code and a bit of googling. Wrote my first stand-alone plugin today and not only did it not break the game but it actually did want I wanted! :LZSjoy:

Marquise*, empresskiova and Lihinel like this.
  16. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Kinda sorta made some small progress on my Main Goal. (5 new unit sprites and 1 unit portrait done)
    Also got some RL stuff out of the way, so I hope to get more done next month, or I'll most likely miss the target release window for this year. (Which is december, no idea what to do if its missed, don't really want to wait for a whole year... Thinking about it now, releasing "War on Christmas" on Easter might work out too... Dunno.)

Marquise* likes this.
  17. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I tried to finish my One Map Game this month, but I have failed miserably.

Marquise* likes this.
  18. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    6.28 - 6.29 Update:
    -Mapped and evented the next zone of the new game. Now you can explore the caves that are next to the beach. Also had some boss balancing nightmares here, as I had an extra *2 in the unique skills for the boss so it was one hit KO'ing people when that was not what I intended it to do with that unique skill. Fixed that too.
    -Also paper designed the next area or so. I had a loose idea in a word document but this allowed me to better see how things connected.
    -As for the title on The Book of Shadows, I'm probably going to just leave it. Unless a brilliant idea comes to mind in two days.

Marquise* likes this.
  19. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    End of month ended up being a break from development with Mario Maker 2 now in service. That said, I have thrown a few ideas around regarding extension beyond what I have for part two in case I do a full trilogy structure, including some introductory setup material. Also extended the structure of the field guide for part two with the introductory section.

Marquise* likes this.
  20. empresskiova

empresskiova Untitled Project1 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Finally coming back to my major project. Too busy with life to focus time on it, sadly. Somewhat uninspired too. dayum.

Arcane Paradise (June 2019)
    Had someone try to test the intro.
    Slight map edits due to glitchiness.
    Made library map.
    Made the 4 unique library tomes for the casters.
    Worked on chatter for different NPCs: Vickt (Iz), Jaine (Iz), Hunter (Ruin)
    Got the librarian running.
    Filled a couple bookcases with books. Need more stuff+fluff.
    Slight thematic edits for some skills/states.

Subprojects not on hiatus due to eventing issues:

Postworld (June 2019)
    Created Cast: Lukas, Packrat, Johny Heat, Kate
    Created rough plot
    Created + Databased items
    Created + Databased firearms
    Created + Databased other gear
    Databased all gunfire skills
    Attempted to event ammo system; currently not working. Considering scrapping it, but since I dont have any assets yet anyways its no rush.

Marquise* likes this.