bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Marsigne: That's what I was thinking when I looked at it, that it looked more like a forest. Then again, it's hard to do plains with the default tiles as they end up looking, well, plain.

@Little Adventurer: Test room still counts. Now to implement it in the main game I assume?

@shushcat: How long is the quest?

6.15 Update: Finished that skipped cutscene, and tweaked a big reveal scene to fix a couple things that were off, and edited some lines. Also tweaked the town of Silas Rest so that some little bugs are no more. Next up, get those side quests all in the quest journal, then test them.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yep! Just a very simple first quest of delivering some arcane scrolls to your mage buddy. Someone got your mail mixed up... somehow.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just finished my exams today. Here's a progress report of what I've done in my spare time:

-Polished the events a bit more.

-A bit more re-balancing.

-Set up key groups on the Gamejolt mirror. I may start shipping keys to access private testing (I've already shipped two. haven't been claimed yet).

Misc:

I might do a livestream today or tommorow (either gamedev or a let's play). I kind of don't want to do gamedev stream (my mind's a bit "fried" from the exams and I don't have much to show before I jump to spoiler territory).

Last edited by a moderator:

shushcat

:( :( :( :( :(
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@shushcat: How long is the quest?
The player has to tend to the needs of five different people, who each just need one thing that day.  They are basically fetch quests, but there are different ways to complete each objective (except I want like 1-2 to just be simple because at least two of them are going to be more involved in fully completing them).  Each objective also comes with a means to track the varying stages of it.  So far, I've completed 1.5/5!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@bgillisp Just because it was almost freezing Sunday and beginning of the week and you answered me it is now melting fat down temperature now Saturday it will be close 30 degree here.  Time to walk with an icepack on the head and a wet towel around the neck and shoulder!

@SchlanganOh... o_O  I'm sorryI might had totally misread your post then!

@Ms LittlefishWow I do like the picture of your protagonists :D  I like having a character fighting with some natural or accidental impairment and then it makes all of that character<s story so much more epic then!

@taarna23I love that experiment with lights and colors it feels rich to the eyes!

Still spriting...  you know what!  XD

crowhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Alright, time for me to start throwing in my goal for the month. A little late I admit.

• Finish coding the last bit of the game's Main UI
  • Get Chapter 1 Finish
  • Get a testable state for people to play.
  • Finish writing up the database.

The project has over 600 items so far. It is going to be a massive project.

[*]Finish Coding a monster book.

• Slowing getting it together.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hellooo!

So while finishing off the next area, i commissioned a mapper to build me a small village in the mountains, seen the results and I can't wait to put it in my game!!

So progress up to today:

Finishing off the forest linking first village to multiple new areas

Commissioned a mapper to create additional maps so I have more time

The above has given me time to work on more events and npc dialogue

Started to draft how I want one of my main features to work within my game

Exciting times and feel motivated to keep going!! :)

edit: 

Added a script and created found and modified custom sounds so there is terrain walking sound effects (wood/long grass/sand etc.) the only quiet one is short  grass at present, it adds a lot of atmosphere and would recommend if you have the time to look at doing this!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer: Sounds like they need a new postman. Say, I wonder if anyone has made an RPG where you play as a postman?

@shushcat: Ok, I see. Makes sense that it might take a while then to complete.

@Marquise*I'd take a nice 30 degrees here. We had a heat wave last weekend that pushed us up to around 37 C. Ick.

@crowhound600 items? Wow. I thought my game was huge, but I don't think I'm anywhere close to 600 items. You adding crafting to the game or something?

@BigToastie: I dunno, I could see walking sounds getting annoying after a while. Maybe consider an option to turn them off and on?

6.17 Update: Took yesterday off to play games, today I tweaked a cutscene to add in the movement to the scene. See, most my cutscenes are static initially, then once it goes more final, I add the move routes and other stuff in. Hence the reason for the two passes through all scenes. Also added an interaction scene that was on the to be done later and this one was LONG. Still only 33% done, but had to stop due to fatigue. Going to try to wrap it up Saturday/Sunday.

crowhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Little Adventurer: Sounds like they need a new postman. Say, I wonder if anyone has made an RPG where you play as a postman?

@shushcat: Ok, I see. Makes sense that it might take a while then to complete.

@Marquise*I'd take a nice 30 degrees here. We had a heat wave last weekend that pushed us up to around 37 C. Ick.

@crowhound600 items? Wow. I thought my game was huge, but I don't think I'm anywhere close to 600 items. You adding crafting to the game or something?

@BigToastie: I dunno, I could see walking sounds getting annoying after a while. Maybe consider an option to turn them off and on?

6.17 Update: Took yesterday off to play games, today I tweaked a cutscene to add in the movement to the scene. See, most my cutscenes are static initially, then once it goes more final, I add the move routes and other stuff in. Hence the reason for the two passes through all scenes. Also added an interaction scene that was on the to be done later and this one was LONG. Still only 33% done, but had to stop due to fatigue. Going to try to wrap it up Saturday/Sunday.
Yeah crafting is in the game. I am tempted to post a screen shot from my database.

Oh and I meant 600 all together. Armor, weapons, and items. I still have a lot to do though.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Weekly update:
I've mainly worked on a few bits here and there, but I did get all skits done. I've also found an easy script system. All that I need to do is to make the graphics and add it into the game. I've also started to work on the tournament in the game, but it will take some time until I get that done ^^°

Other than that, I've found out that getting away from the game for about a day really helps me stay motivated. My drawing skills have improved faster than it would if I just drew once or twice a month and I've written some lyrics to a soundtrack just for fun. It's been at least half a year since I did that XD. Though now I don't know what to do with it, since I can't sing Oo.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@bgillisp Well the only advantage to that inferno is that you can just put your eggs on the asphalt or concrete 5 minutes and they are cooked!  (Not sure how you do bacon without using electricity or gas or fossil fuel the same way.  (Please try and stay in your bath most of the day.)

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Progress Report #6

-Almost done with the gamepad support. Now to iron out a few more bugs.

-I now have the side missions system working as expected. I may be able to also add bounty missions, where I need a way to confirm that the mission was accepted (previously, there wasn't an easy way to do so). I now need to set up the shop discount logic and the license upgrade system.

-Added some of the mystic arts to the magic shops. I need to customise the UI however, since I have more than 5 part members, and it does go a tad off screen.

-Some NPCs got their voice ;)  . Their dialogue's done. A dozen now need their own too.

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day 18 Progress: The end is near...

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't post for a while again, here's my current update :

- I successfully replaced Kaus' plugin by the one made by Hudell. However, I'll need to think a bit about fogs in battle. Adding lights and fogs was too much framerate consuming for now, I need to find a way to work with them with no lag.

- Something I noticed, if I tried to update the standard JS code to v1.2.0 of MV, the battle lag considerably increase, I don't know why. For now, I'll leave the core code as it was at version 1.0.0.

- I have no news of my proofreader for now, so I've been working a bit on mission XIV. Enemy soldiers will be in the forest, but not in the first part, so I finally chose the beast enemies, simply snakes. I made a little charset for the snakes, I now need to draw the sideview actors.

That's it for now. 

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@crowhound: Ok, I see. I thought you meant 600 items only, not including weapons and armor. Still, take it from someone who has about that many total weapons/armor/items...get a spreadsheet and balance them out in advance. Else you will end up doing what I did and spend a couple 14 hour days staring at them to rebalance them later on.

@Marquise*:Be glad you don't live in Phoenix, Arizona. I hear it is supposed to get near 50 C today there. Also no idea why it kept failing to tag you, it would just hourglass when I tried to type your name.

@BlackRoseMii: Yes, taking that day off does really help.

@AceOfAces_ModBounty system? How you going to implement that? I currently let my party get the bounty even if they didn't accept it first, just because I saw no good way to check it.

@Marsigne: The epic showdown room?

@Schlangan: That might explain all the posts I've seen about Yanfly's engine lagging these days. Maybe someone should tinker and see if we can isolate it to a bug with 1.2.

6.18 and 6.19 Update: Spent today touching up the Chapter 2 side quests around Silas Rest. Now all but one quest is done, and I wanted to sleep on the last one that isn't done. Also fixed the bugs related to the quests (wrong rewards, quest book not updating, you know, all that fun stuff).

Also took a hard look at all the playable characters in the game, and decided if any of them were dead weight characters. Came up with 3 that might get the axe before the game goes final, as their roles are all late game roles only, and they can probably have those roles taken over by a current character. Will think on this some more.

And, updated the credits roll for the end of the game (or demo). Wasn't much to update honestly, it was more like delete the ones whose stuff I ended up not using in the end.

crowhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@crowhound: Ok, I see. I thought you meant 600 items only, not including weapons and armor. Still, take it from someone who has about that many total weapons/armor/items...get a spreadsheet and balance them out in advance. Else you will end up doing what I did and spend a couple 14 hour days staring at them to rebalance them later on.

@Marquise*:Be glad you don't live in Phoenix, Arizona. I hear it is supposed to get near 50 C today there. Also no idea why it kept failing to tag you, it would just hourglass when I tried to type your name.

@BlackRoseMii: Yes, taking that day off does really help.

@AceOfAces_ModBounty system? How you going to implement that? I currently let my party get the bounty even if they didn't accept it first, just because I saw no good way to check it.

@Marsigne: The epic showdown room?

@Schlangan: That might explain all the posts I've seen about Yanfly's engine lagging these days. Maybe someone should tinker and see if we can isolate it to a bug with 1.2.

6.18 and 6.19 Update: Spent today touching up the Chapter 2 side quests around Silas Rest. Now all but one quest is done, and I wanted to sleep on the last one that isn't done. Also fixed the bugs related to the quests (wrong rewards, quest book not updating, you know, all that fun stuff).

Also took a hard look at all the playable characters in the game, and decided if any of them were dead weight characters. Came up with 3 that might get the axe before the game goes final, as their roles are all late game roles only, and they can probably have those roles taken over by a current character. Will think on this some more.

And, updated the credits roll for the end of the game (or demo). Wasn't much to update honestly, it was more like delete the ones whose stuff I ended up not using in the end.
Oh trust me me and excel are very good friends. Learned that fast. I also use Articity Draft to store information about the items in. Draft and excel work great together.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Marquise* Thanks! I like how it's working out, although I am fairly certain the end result of the actual lighting will be different from my little mockups.

Speaking of, after more than a week of about an hour a day, I now have a nice range of ice caves. I'm not really sure what the in-game explanation for a pink ice cave would be, but hey, random dungeons.

Blue caves:

/monthly_2016_06/IceCave1-1-1.png.1d5168f37f44e0b91b88ae82c1bf6890.png  IceCave1-1-2.png

/monthly_2016_06/IceCave2-1-1.png.ce72182dae35ca781e93793ad6decce2.png  IceCave2-1-2.png

Pink caves:

/monthly_2016_06/IceCave1-2-1.png.b9f7fc093bccc3a11db60c6a656500ce.png  IceCave1-2-2.png

/monthly_2016_06/IceCave2-2-1.png.8fead98a2191a0573e2d5458f67cfb92.png  IceCave2-2-2.png

Purple caves:

/monthly_2016_06/IceCave1-3-1.png.2877f8c611275e88616e6527c936eae2.png  IceCave1-3-2.png

/monthly_2016_06/IceCave2-3-1.png.c0c8b6d8346ebb98f52d52e51fd7ebe0.png  IceCave2-3-2.png

Hopefully my formatting isn't garbage. I'm not sure what the next tileset to be worked on will be, but there's lots to do, overall.

To quote Baten Kaitos: "Us heroes; we have so much to do!"

Attachments

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@bgillisp Yeah I will be looking to give an option to turn this off (as all you'd need to do is turn off / on a particular script in game) but the SFX are very feint 

Thanks for the advise :)

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp, Well, the quest script I use requires accepting the quest. Maybe rename it to something else (say, Alliance Missions)?

Progress Report #7

-I've done a bit of retooling on the backup module of the launcher. I replaced the Snapshot Mode (since the default mode worked like that anyway) with a mode similar to Steam Cloud (where it always keep one version of the save files rather than keeping multiple versions on separate folders with the date of backup on their name). This may be useful for somebody that uses a client for their preferred cloud storage (takes up less space and time to upload).

-More NPCs have dialogue.

-Nicole got a new face. Her faceset is incomplete, but it will be completed soon. I also received a complete one too.

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
I guess I will also give this a try.

My goals for this months basically were:

- Rework the 2 sprites for the main characters together with an artist - DONE

- Design and finish the title screen together with an artist. - 50%, but the current result is already really awesome

- Finish 2 maps: Crime Scene, flat of one of the main characters - 50 % Done

- Completely rework one already finished map (research lab) - Not started

- Create the Homepage for the game - 75% done, currently onhold until the title screen is finished

I was slacking of this month waaaay too much, but Stardew Valley took a lot of my time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smeinela