^ My progress 

So far this month I have: 

-Customized my game font and dialogue 

-Customized the dialogue windows 

-Built and mapped half of my first town with events, objects and scenery 

-Made a few common, repeatable default shops 

-Developed a splash screen before the title page and made a custom title page 

-Made a short and to the point story introduction to the game 

-Created a list of items for restoring health and power points (I forgot the default terms) 

-Used character generator to pump out the cast 

my next goals to complete for this month 

-Create two monster sprite/battler sets for the next two dungeons 

-Finish building the starter village and the first dungeon and tutorial dungeon 

-Create beginning items and abilities and weapons and armor 

-Create a splash screen for when the party rests at an inn 

^The rest is just plain time consuming. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@crowhound: See, I started out with just throwing numbers at the wall and hoping they would stick. You can guess how well that worked out.

@taarna23: Just say its magical ice. I did that with my ice caves and their different magical colored ice.

@AceOfAces_Mod: What script? I use modern algebras and it doesn't require it.

@AccendorI just bought Stardew valley too. Trying to be good and not play it right now...

@Rhettskipooker: Looking good so far.

@Little Adventurer: That's a good idea, make sure you don't paint yourself into a corner plot wise?

6.20 Update: Chapter 2 now has the side quests at the crossroads in the quest log, except for the one that cannot be finished yet because I still have to implement that, which requires me to fix up the town of Riverdale so you can complete it. Otherwise, it's current.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well yes that, plus I've been discussing stuff about the game with a friend and they said it would help me answer all those questions I've been asking them that they can't really answer. To quote them: " You need to sit down and write out a rough timeline. Pre-game stuff with Quintus, and then the timeline of the game itself. Who ideally does what each "act" of the game and what the bosses are, the motivations of said bosses, why we're fighting them.. What possible side quests per area there is, then which possible character-based side quests too. That should remedy a lot of these questions you keep asking that I have no clue how to answer."

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game has been at a complete standstill for months, and I REALLY want to get it finished and released.  Figure if I post here I might be more motivated to work on it ...

I debated whether or not to switch to MV, but the few remaining glitches plus the cost of having all my custom resources remade, and the currently small selection of characters in the generator, made me decide to stick with Ace.  I might redevelop it after completion, using MV, as there should be more resources and bug fixes by then.

Right now I'm revamping all the scripts to be in a more modular format, fixing some bugs, ditching things I never really implemented.  It's slow going and I constantly question whether I'm doing the right thing.  But as I haven't worked on it for so long, I've lost track of what had been partially done and needed to be finished, what wasn't working properly, what other ideas I had that I've forgotten about, and this is bringing it all back again.  So I'll continue to press forward.  Plus I really like the way MV does some stuff (like metadata/notes), so I'm changing the way I handle some things to be more like MV.

So far, so good.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Good Day,

Been quiet at work so got a fair bit done on my RPG in terms of mapping.

The forest after starting area has been filled out with optional ways to go and 'later on' areas

>>Added side area to my multi exit way in the forest(small map)

>>Added a large forest map (70x70) that joins to my Waterfall maps(18x32 & 40x50)(this is an optional quest area) and the Old ruins (30x30) (Late Game Dungeon entrance) with the rest of the forest. - making the forest feel vast and full of personality, rather then 2 maps of trees and thats it!

Got one side area to do on the other side before I continue for the main route! (possibly just a treasure dungeon with no real charisma, but detailed work will still go into it, might make it an underground cove,,,, who knows!!

Feeling realllly good about this game so far, adding a lot of additional exploration to the game will make it more interesting i think! (since its a zelda style game, I need to make each area feel large rather then a few steps and its done!! haha

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer: Good idea. I have all of my ideas in a word document, even the ones I'm not using in this project. Has helped me to stay on focus and not bloat it too much.

@Shaz: Welcome to the thread! Do you have any notes on where you are and what needs to be done that you can reference?

@BigToastie: Sounds like the maps are coming along. How big do you intend the entire world to be?

6.21 Update: Managed to finish putting into the quest book all the quests that can be finished at the crossroads (I skipped the one you can't actually finish yet). Also touched up the forest near it, and the stadium where the sport Monsterball is played (think American football with Fairies, Trolls, Ogres, Dwarfs, and spells). And, tweaked a few things in the marsh leading to Blackmire, and added the choices for that route (currently it was linear, but now you have three choices on how to get past an obstacle so you can get into Blackmire). Had to go to work though so had to abort in the middle of a choice implementation, will pick that one up tomorrow.

If all goes well I'll be working on Blackmire tomorrow, which only has the plot details implemented. In other words, you could complete the chapter, but there as nothing else to the town at the moment. My hope is to actually put the NPC's and shops and quests into the town now, and touch up any plot details that need to be touched up on. Once that is done, Chapter 2 is done being polished for the main towns (still will have to do the side towns though of Aurora and Riverdale, going to do that with Chapter 3's polish run, as that is when a party will normally go there).

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@bgillisp

I haven't got a map count in mind, as I have the 'main areas' that I want to put together, but as I create them I start adding extra maps (like ruins and offcut areas) to make the world feel a lot more like a world then a linear path  I want to get the first chunk of my mapping done and then event it to release for users to test (hopefully) soon!

you seem very busy with your stuff as well good sir! if you ever need someone to test I will happily assist in that, your updates are making me a keen bean for your game :3

crowhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Progress update on Gates of Elmeria

Re-wrote part of Yanfly's Script

So I had an issue where I wanted to use Yanfly's Item Synthesis to make a crafting system. I wanted it to have it where if you had a recipe one ingredient wouldn't be destroyed during the process.

Example : Recipe for a leather cap would be: Needle, Wool, Leather Hide. 

I wanted it where the needle could be used over and over again in other recipes. So I ended up rewriting part of his script to make it where when you put zero in the part where you tell how many needed for the recipe it will not destroy it, but it still requires at least one to work.

I also completed 3 quests in game.

That's what I did today folks enjoy your day.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp I have some notes (I think) on things I wanted to add to the game. Some of them have been started.  For now I'm just redoing all the scripts, but after that I plan to either copy over maps (not events) or redo some of them, and then do all my events again from scratch, to cater for the new scripts.  Going to be a big job.  I'm trying to do it in such a way that if I decide it's just a bad idea I'll be able to copy over a lot of stuff from the original project and make changes as necessary for the altered scripts.

So far I've completely redone my journal system to use items for journal entries - means I can just do a Change Items to add or remove a journal entry, along with a new scene to show them (and of course they don't show up when viewing items).  I've implemented MV's metadata system into Ace for the database and maps, and today will be doing something similar for events.  I'll also be rewriting my old pathfinding script - I'm sure I have a much better one around somewhere - just can't remember where it was.

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A little late getting into this, but better that than never.

I've been dabbling with event experimentations. Specifically variable based events, such as an expanding city based on how many people you're able to recruit to it, and chests that have a random chance of spawning, and have a further random chance of dropping either higher or lower tier items. The former was simple enough to work out, but the latter gave me some trouble. I think I've managed to work it out in a way I'm happy with for now, but it does still need some work, since it can currently only give one of two items, and I'm looking to try and have it pick from a pool of ten or so.

Aside from that, its been primarily story and database work. I really do need to work on getting practice with the graphical and audio side of it, as well as continuing my JS studies so I can be less reliant on others for plugins, since several mechanics I want to implement would fall under the "time consuming enough to be a paid commission", and I'm too poor to be spending hundreds of dollars on plugins.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is this too minor? Made some custom tabletop props to use in the events layer. They are a phone, a small wallet, and a painting set with colored inksticks.

DormWithProps.png

Edit: Rearranged the right-hand room's furniture as I was told the bedding looked incorrect.

DormWithProps2.png

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Shaz I may be pretty naive but what does your journal system entail in terms of functionality within your game (out of curiosity?) :)

Another small update:

Added additional images to forests to add detail, - went back on earlier maps to clean them up a tad.

Started working on 2 caves (1 an underwater cave/water system that stems off from my clifftop village) another just a old cave for additional exploration with a small reward at the end of it (more adding this to make my forest feel complete)

also added the functionality to turn off or on walking sfx (so when you walk over grass/wood/rock etc. it makes a very feint noise - could annoy some people!)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BigToastie: I actually wanted to make a game like what you are doing (it's listed as project idea #3, so maybe sometime soon?), where I was going to mark off the world into grids, and each grid was a 45 x 45 tile map. It got as far as a sketch, and ended up with 100 maps (10 x 10 grid), though some were just all ocean. As for my project, I do hope to release an updated demo soon, maybe near end of month?

@Shaz: Hopefully the notes help guide you along as you work on finishing it!

@The Tsunaru: Have you tried using a variable to store the result of a random roll, then based on that result pick the item to hand out?

@TheOriginalFive: Surprised someone commented on the first picture, I've seen dorm rooms with layouts like the first. It's not ideal, sure, but sometimes people do strange things.

6.22 Update: Finished the choice sequence heading into Blackmire, and tweaked events in Blackmire to flow better. One big reveal scene had to be redone as most of it had already been revealed by now (so it was redundant). Now got to check a couple last events before you finish Chapter 2, and you can complete Chapter 2 again. Then it will be time to polish up the town and add NPC's to it, as well as map the mushroom caves so you can actually go into them if you wish.

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp Yeah, I have it set so that in the event the chest actually spawns, it'll roll a random number for a variable and then the item received will be dependent on whether its higher or lower than a certain number (in this specific case, it rolls 1-20 and drops the better item at 18-20, and the lesser item at 1-17). My issue comes in that I dont how to make it so that there's more than two possible items in the pool for it to draw from.

Never mind, I'm an idiot. Just figured it out. All I had to do was add extra conditional branches inside the original one with gradually increasing numbers for it to draw from, so now it'll give one item at 1-10, a different one at 10-18, and a third one at 18-20. So that's one of my issues solved.

Aside from that, spent most of the night/day working on mapping practice. I'm not overly happy with what I'm making, but I am noticing some marked improvements over where I was at the beginning of the month. One of my major goals in July is going to be to get enough practice in where I can quickly and reliably push out maps that are up to my ideal.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BigToastie it's a very rudimentary journal / quest system - it's just a list of tasks, very little detail.  It uses the Item tab, showing the name and the 2-line description.  There's no list of steps, but you can optionally flag quests as main (mandatory) or side (optional) and they will show up differently in the Journal screen.

I prefer this to my previous fully-scripted version because adding and removing a quest is just a matter of adding or removing an item, so can be done fully through event commands, and there's no need to edit the script to add new quests.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TheTsunaru: Glad you figured it out! What I'd recommend is sitting down and working out the percentage chance you want for each item to appear, then put the random numbers that way.

@Shaz: Sounds like an interesting way of doing a quest journal.

6.23 Update: Finished tweaking the dialogues for the rest of Chapter 2. Now the plot flows better from start to the beginning of Chapter 3, and better foreshadows some of the reveals I'd written in Chapters 6/7 recently. And thankfully Chapters 3 onwards were written with those reveals in mind, that should mean a lot less editing going forward.

From here I plan to either continue working on adding NPC's and quests to Blackmire, or mapping that castle I've been putting off in Chapter 8. But first I think I'm going to take a day off and play a game instead for a change now.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Made progress on mapping the accessible inner areas for the heroes' sky base. The current groundskeeper and technician, Wiggins, stays in a tiny room beside one of the servers to easily access them. She's currently not in, of course.

HerospireEntranceWIP.png

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp, I am using this script: 

I might switch over to Modern Algebra's if it provides better features.

@Shaz, good luck with your project.

Progress Report #8

-Bought a music pack to replace some of the stock/RTP music.

-More NPCs get dialogue.

-Drafted the next optional scene.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Weekly update:

In the past week, I've been able to add most of the skits (not all, because there are three that rely on variables rather than switches, and I'll have to sort those after I added the gameplay, because it's in complete chaos right now ^^°)

I've also been able to patch up a few problems with the balancing and made the animation for the skills (it's surprisingly fun to make ^^) Btw, I don't mean the graphics, I mean the movement of the actor during a battle ^^°.

I'll go over the gameplay one more time, before I shift my focus back to graphics and events.

If everything goes the way I want it to, it's possible that I might be able to release a demo on my own birthday XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My sister is a saint. Specifically Saint Peter. Because shes my best friend until other ppl are around then shes all "nope, dont know him, dont like him."
Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpgteck