Jungle Rescue! (Download Uploaded)

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Paladin-Cleric of Awesome, Jun 5, 2014.

?

What is this game?

1. RPG

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Non-RPG

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can do it! :)

2. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    lol.

The hardest bits are the guard and soldier events, which is why I put them first.

Need to go find an anime to watch that I can actually see on my tv instead of using half my laptop screen. lol.

Ok. Let's begin!

3. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok.

Everything bar the Achievements page is done.

Jjust tested it and... well, lets just say my dear testers will not be getting the game tonight. Sigh. Just a few kinks I've noticed in the guard movement and troop battles. Hopefully I can get them ironed out tomorrow, get the achievement page finished and get it to the testers by tomorrow evening.

As I have work firth thing in the morning, and it is currently sometime after half 12 midnight now I need to get some sleep.

So tomorrow it is!

Sorry guys!

(On a slightly unreleated note it takes me 20 miniutes to complete the game without exploring absolutely everywhere... so with full exploration etc the game should be about... 40 miniutes long? Maybe... Ah whatever, I tried!)

4. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    That's what testers are for. I recommend releasing the demo anyway so testers can play your game and bug hunt while you fix the Achievements page. 

Just tell people the Achievements part is acting up, and have them playtest for story, gameplay, fun, other issues :)

Edit: Oh wait. You're going to bed. Hee. Nvm, sleep well!

5. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Game loaded.

Man I really hope there's no more bugs. But let me know!

6. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya. Decided to playtest this since this is a pretty cool concept, even though I often suck at stealth games. :)

Nice ideas there for different types of obstacles - scent, vision cones, spotlights, etc. That really spices up the gameplay. I am currently a bit stuck as I can't find the doctor anywhere. I've found a way to the rendezvous, but I can't go there yet until I've rescued the doctor. I think I searched all the huts, though I might still be missing one. I personally think maybe a bit more direction would've been nicer since this is really hard. There's no room for trial and error, because every guard encounter is hard and most times I either get killed or have an alarm raised. The officers aren't even worth fighting at all (unless I'm willing to waste a stun grenade), because they deal loads of damage and even when I touched him from the back, he still called for reinforcements on the 3rd turn.

I am a bit confused by the menu. Firstly it doesn't actually pause the game, so you can get spotted whilst browsing through it, and if I accidentally press directional buttons, the character actually moves without me knowing it and can unintentionally get into an area of someone's vision. Also I can't seem to find how to actually use the medkits outside of battle. I think the whole control scheme when in the menu is kind of confusing. Maybe it's more suited for gamepads, so not sure. It is a nice-looking menu though. I can definitely appreciate the look, but the navigation is kind of hard.

There are a few minor bugs I've encountered:

- The part with 2 soldiers chatting, when I try to fight them, even if I win that fight without raising an alarm, the battle still happens again and again in a perpetual cycle and this event never ends.

- One of soldier's vision cones doesn't follow him when he turns. It's the one right at the entrance to that big area, just to the right of those 2 soldiers mentioned above. He sort of looks up, then left, and then right, but the vision cone goes up and left only and never goes to the right.

- The helicopter sound at the beginning doesn't loop so smoothly and you can tell when it starts again

But yeah, it's a really cool game idea (the setting reminds me of films like Predator and Rambo), just a bit too hard for me at the moment, so I am not sure if I'll manage to get to the end of it or not.

7. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Matseb2611

Thanks for the review.

1. The doctor is in the building near the cliff face in the camp. You need to go right to the back of the base camp to find them. There was a sparkly effect there at some point, but for some reason Ii seem to have deleted it... I fixed it now. (Colonel Peterson does tell you in the intro where Dr Sheppard is)

2. dayum you soldiers! Nitpicky soldiers who refuse to die! Fixed them too, just a control switch out of place. sigh.

3. Another bug? Wow, making a stealth game is hard! Fized the Guard bug too. Hopefully there are no others like that... I'll go check...

4. At the moment medkits can only be used in battle, sorry.

5. I don't know how to pause the game while in the menu screen. But you don't need to use the directional buttons at all, just the buttons on your keyboard, a, s, d, q, Shift, Space and Enter, those will bring up anything you need.

6. I'll look at the guards again... I had thought I'd fixed that bug. sigh.

7. Yeah... Helicopter sound... hehe. I don't know how to fix that. sorry.

Thank you very much, I'll update those changes asap.

8. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see. So was the doctor's location prior to this area? I thought the areas before this were mostly just linear one-way maps, so didn't see any other ways. On a related note, the tutorials were pretty good though and nicely placed. It worked nicely to introduce each type of obstacle as one at a time.

9. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, there are only three main maps. from the searchlights to the path to the next area is the Base Camp needs to be explored. you can go both up or to the right, there are various paths to the hut. its a round hut right at the back. All the guards can be dodged if your careful and watch their pattern, but you do need to explore a bit. (sorry!)

I'm glad the tutorials work though. I was worried about those.

The new update has bugfixes!

10. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    Sorry you had trouble, Matseb2611. I was lucky and stumbled across the doctor's location the first time.

You have to look for a hut on the right of the map, against the cliff. There will be a Soldier kill zone right in front of the hut. Inside is an Officer next to a chest, and behind him is the trapdoor. Once you defeat the Officer, you can go down the trapdoor to find the doctor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  11. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok. Had a friend play through the game for me while he was at my house, found a game breaking bug, but managed to fix it.

Ii have reuploaded for what I hope is the very last time... So long as no one gets back to me overnight with any other major bugs I'm going to have to leave it as it is. I am spent beyond all levels of spentness at the moment. All I want to do is sleep (and work on my other games lol).

So bye for now. Hopefully I've caught all errors and no one will have any more problems.

Please enjoy....

(now, where is my bed again?)

12. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    Good luck! You've done all you could. Bed ahoy.

13. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just a note (because its been a while since this page has been on the first page. Lol)

I did manage a few bug fixes before the completion date, including adding an extra help sparkle to help people find the doctors hut. Hopefully I've cleared up the worst of the bugs for a more enjoyable Expiriance. All I can suggest is to take the game slowly. Don't rush it, that's the worst thing to do in a stealth game. Lol.

14. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

As suggested by someone else, I'm pasting the review I did on the other post, so you can have them all together :)

First of all, I don't like stealth games. I'm too bad at them and I get frustrated easily. And your game IS frustrating, indeed. If you get caught once, you are as well as dead if you don't just use a stun grenade, because the rest of your skills are almost worthless.

Why should I use the knife slash skill, when the knife throwing one has more damage and stun chance? This is not balanced... lots of skills is a good thing when there's a reason to use them, but there's no point to do so in this game. 

Really, combat is what makes this game almost unbearable. I like that you must be stealthy, but punishing the player so harshly is just too much. 

Graphics are kinda ok, maybe a bit too dark for my tastes, but I suppose that's what you get in a jungle at night... just that it's hard to make out some of those red and green areas and lines marking the maps. I noticed a few glitches in the intro (a weird tree when flying on the beginning), but nothing terrible.

Writing is also ok, but as it's not my favourite genre I'm a bit biased there. Characters seemed a bit cliche, but at least they are not too unsuffereable. Being able to chose all genders is a nice touch, but I don't know how much it affects the game, because I stopped playing after running out of stun grenades to bypass those soldiers. You should really look into those combat mechanics, because they make the game too hard for anyone: you have just 1 character in your party (so just 1 action each turn), and the enemies tend to do 50 damage to your 100 total hp each turn. The only stun skill working is the stun grenade (I've never seen the knife throw stun even using it 5-6 times in a row), and the tazer fails at 90%. 

Finally, I didn't really like at all the custom menu interface. It felt a bit clunky, and I didn't find out how to use a medkit out of combat. I think an standard menu controlled with the arrow keys would work better.

Conclusions: Your game could be so much better if combat was more balanced. There are some bugs here and there (one searchlight got me while I was in the inventory screen), but I guess you can work those out too. I'd really like to see how the story goes... but the combat just puts me off too much, sorry.

15. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    thanks, 'ppreciate it!

16. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+General idea and presentation is ok.
    +Nice busts and battlers.
    +Jungle map is lively and varied. (not the helicopter scene, the jungle looks very silly then, tho the heli is cool)
    +I like the windowskin, it’s very sleek and modern/espionage-y.
    +I’m well and fine with the concept of different “visibility” areas.
    -Sprites do not mach their busts (for no visible reason, as there ARE usable generators for what’s required).
    -Game is too dark, making the visibility a bit of a chore, even with the setting.
    -Execution and polish over enemy detection feels “cheap” as it’s not properly conveyed sometimes, ending in getting discovered when it feels you should be safe (as seen in the video).
    -The menu feels odd and very clunky.
    -No run speed? Come on.
    -Too many options in battle not explained enough, with too many commands. It would be far more visually orderly if they were grouped in one or two submenus with a bunch or skills each instead of 4+ with 3 items each.
    -Skills do not display # of charges left for the skill?
    -Tutorial sections too close together, lack proper sense of flow (and feel more like a “here is all our mechanics in the first few minutes).
    -Title screen is a bit underwhelming (minor point).

To the developer: I feel I ranted enough during the video and the points above. It feels like what I don’t like about the game is more the lack of polish/smoothness than the game’s core. The pacing of the tutorials is too sudden, the sight mechanics feel unfair, the combat has too much clutter. If that was all fixed (and I don’t think they’re big problems to touch up, hopefully) I feel like this could be a solid stealth game.
    As it is now it feels a bit rough around the edges, at least for someone like me who isn’t particularly good at stealth games.

17. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Indrah

I survived your review (not gonna lie, it worries me when you do reviews because I know if there's something not right you'll find it!). Ii agree with all of your points. The game needs a lot of polish (and I need to learn more about battles and the like) and if I can find a better way to make the line of sight work I will. (I'm not so good at stealth games either, I don't know what possessed me to make a stealth game. lol)

There were a lot of options I wanted to implement (including an unlockable "Dash" option) that I didn't get to play with. and I'm still waiting for Luna Engine to come out to really crack down on the menu. But I've learned a lot, and thanks for the review. Hopefully the proper game I have planned for this will be much better (and include better sprites lol).

Thanks again!

18. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  19. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses: