Just a few questions...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Momochon, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Momochon

Momochon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have just a few questions:

1. How do you add custom buttons and systems to the menu EX: A button to check your quest progress.

2.How do you convert the game to .exe when you are done?

3. How do you make quest events?

PLZ Answer!

2. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For a good script that adds a Quest Journal to your menu, try Modern Algebra's Quest Journal Script at http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45127.0.html. If you are still new to programming/scripts you might wanna work on some simpler things first, but once you get the hang of it editing this script isn't too complicated.

You can make your game a .exe file by using the File->Compress Game Data option.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

3. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Yes I am using modern algebra's script and it works great.

4. Drafyr

Drafyr Novice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There is a Menu Manager that I know of, that allows you to create custom menus.

As for creating quest events, do you mean an event that initiates and completes a quest? For information on general basics of events and the like, see the tutorials here

5. Momochon

Momochon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    No, the actual quest itself, like you have to get someone something. do i use self switches and choices and things?

And where do i get the menu manager?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  6. Drafyr

Drafyr Novice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Menu Manager

Event pages take priority highest to lowest. Therefore, you create a higher value page that requires x item in inventory. Then whatever you want to happen when you have the key item, and talk the npc, put it in that event page. 

Self switches would only work within the event. They are not affected by and do not affect whether an item is present.

There is also a script that I use that allows you to create event trigger labels, such as having a key item. The link is here

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to store the quest data in the events, that means you have to work with switches or variables (when counting how much of something you have done) to make anything like a quest.
    It looks like you're extremely new to the program and to game making, so I suggest you follow the link in my signature and work on the tutorials mentioned there. That starting point also contains links to the master script list (where you find most of the scripts) and to sample games (that you can open to see how others made their game)

8. Drafyr

Drafyr Novice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you were making a really long quest, like the main storyline, you would need to make a multiple conditional branch tree that has the different things the event would say, and do. The condition would be better as a variable.

If you wanted it for a npc that says different things depending on what you've already said to him, you can also use a variable if it's going to be complicated; otherwise, a self-switch will do.

9. MMO

MMO ℱα☂αʟ Member

First Language:
    Sarcasm (ಠ⌣ಠ)

10. Momochon

Momochon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Arigato guys! :D