Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was wondering, is this a workable idea? If I wanted to make an Ace game with, say, XP-type graphics, it would good to be able to buy XP resources without the engine itself. A) I'm broke and B) this would open up all kinds of opportunities for developers in general. Please consider it, powers-that-be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The engine itself costs about the same as many of the resource packs.  Buy the engine and get the huge RTP that comes with it.  That way you get a much bigger pool of resources than buying some, and it would give you the right to use all XP edits, of which there are a vast number, many of them free if you own the engine.  You will save money by buying it.

EDIT

@That odd One

Being able to download the RTP is so that people can play the game without having to install it anew - makes the game itself a smaller file.  It does NOT mean that you can use those resources in your own game.  Two quite different things.  You can only use them if you own the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support.  Program and Utility Discussion is for programs not published by Degica but are useful for making games. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

This isn't something that's likely to happen.  Ksjp17 is right, it would cost about the same as a resource pack, you just wouldn't have the engine. It isn't worth it to divide it up. You'll just have to save up and/or wait for sales.

@That Odd One: No, that's not right. You have to buy the engine to get a license to use the materials, the RTP downloads are for playing games with only, it doesn't give you a license.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have to own RMXP to use any part of the XP-RTP, so to use XP-RTP in Ace, you'll need to own both.

I suggest watching Steam and Humble Bundle Store, as XP has been on sale there with a large discount before. Usually you can get it once or twice a year for less than $5 (sometimes down to 3-4 $ depending on sale).

Esrever

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As ksjp17, Sharm, and Andar have all said, in this case you would need to own both a license for RPG Maker VX Ace as well as RPG Maker XP in order to legally use the XP materials as a part of your VX Ace project.

Be sure to check out IsThereAnyDeal.com to see if any sales are going on at any given time. You actually just missed a sale through Steam via Degica's Midweek Madness event where it was only $4.99 USD.

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tigersong: just use the Ace RTP-tiles to develop the game and when you are done with everything else, you most likely got enough time to save enough money. And there is always a good chance that Degica is launching another Bundle Sale with huge discounts like the one that ended yesterday.

@That Odd One: he can download the RTP and use it at home in any way he likes, but the moment he wants to publish his game he needs the license for commercial and for non-commercial releases.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sizzle sizzle sizzle...
zbf1dCZ.gif
Sharing my past was a mistake. Will delete the post when I get access to a working internet connection again.
TFW you get a plugin working correctly with your other plugins ♡\( ̄▽ ̄)/♡

(CW for minor gore - Einar's Y incision is gone for his test portrait)

Cs5kAbZ.png
Doing some winter related edits for a cozy cottage!
I think it's the third time I am changing my skill info plugin, but as I get better at programming, I want to fix the trash I made earlier :p

Streaming while I am programming the plugin. Join in if you wish :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minty16