Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, guys, my daily fix of complaint for today:

Main Editor

1. Naming in projects is a nightmare if you do several projects. Okay, you can "name" it, but why this don't name the project file (that game.rmmzproject file) too is beyond my comprehension. Why? Because of Windows Jumplists:
jl.png
Which one is the 'game' I want? All of those are different projects, some for different clients. Unless I hover them and wait for a windows tooltip to appear and point to the folder, I would never know, it should be trial and error.

2. As you could probably think, yes, there's no other Recent Projects list other than that. One in File Menu would be welcome. The jumplists also have limits, even if I pin some of them, I might always forget one project or another. A recent file list is one of the most basic stuff any Windows software have (unless you're using Windows Notepad, it is).

3. Better control of game executable, I said that before. It just runs the executable, if it's already running, it does nothing; if you modify something, you have to save and restart the game in the game itself (F5) or close it and start it again. It asks if you want to save the project in case you didn't saved, but doesn't restart it and could perfectly do that! For convenience, since you're already in the editor interface. Also, we don't have an effective way to stop the playtest. Sure, you can close the window, but if the game is stuck you can't do that unless you use Windows Task Manager. I mean, c'mon!

4. This one is only if they want to change the UI a bit. They could put easily the Sound Test, Event Search and Resource Manager docked in right size of the editor. So you can keep using them while mapping or doing something else. The way it is now, they're almost hidden and I find it better to use alternatives to do my tasks because they're always hidden 1 click away. I guess that would help to untie the workflow of some people.

Map Editor

1. Why you can't use a 1x1 grid while mapping I also don't understand. You have the grid there once you go to event edit mode, but why you can't use/toggle that grid or a custom one of minimal size seems like another. The custom one minimal size is always 2x2 tiles

2. While in shadow editing tool, it should disable the tileset window (gray it out) to make it clearer that you're using a tool that won't put tiles on your map. Some simple stuff that make things more polished, simpler to understand.

3. Since we're talking about suggestions, the shadows, instead of a tool, should be a separated mode, where you could use the other tools like eraser, rectangle and circle to draw them. It's a good suggestion, isn't?

4. There's Undo, but not Redo. Nitpicking too much? Well, I would prefer to have a list of the most recent modifications to track, but since I will never see one, a redo button is a good start.

----

Here it goes. More coming later!

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
4. There Undo, but not Redo. Nitpicking too much? Well, I would prefer to have a list of the most recent modifications to track, but since I will never see one, a redo button is a good start.
This is actually one of the biggest things I've seen be an issue, so I wouldn't call it nitpicky.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For every new RPG Maker, they should be taking notes from the most popular plugins and add in-engine functionality for those. For MZ, they should've just integrated the majority of what Yanfly made for MV. There are so many things I could list that could use improvements, but it'll just be responded to with "it's not necessary" or "too many functions confuse new users", as has happened before, so I won't.
The one suggestion I've seen made elsewhere to add an advanced version of the editor is the best counter solution i've seen to that. Keep the base editor as it is so new users don't get confused by too many things to click on, but offer more advanced options for the people who have been working with RPG Maker for years now.

Rafael_Sol_Maker

Almighty God Jabu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I would love to see more stuff to play, but considering the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach they take, that won't be that easy to see. Don't get me wrong, RM does a lot right, some upgrades were small but relevant and it is an extremely polished experience after all.

But if we can stop and think about the dichotomy between the target audience and actual users, well, I guess it is the only way we can reach somewhere. RM is for some considered just a toy, that you can with a bit of effort make something out of the box. What is nice, because making games is no easy task, they take a lot of complexity out of the equation and what is missing isn't that hard to get. The only problem is that it hold back some users a tad with its arbitrary limitations. Well, some limitations are a good thing to make stuff simpler, others are just gatekeeping.

The engine never evolved beyond being a toy, but if we consider that the new users from all the world are a bit different now (and c'mon, specially Japan, the guys I know from there are very smart people) I think that RM should re-evaluate its proposal a bit. @Frogboy framed this point masterfully, we're not in the 16-bit era anymore, we're paying homages to that era now, with much better tools to handle things.

Today making games might not be mainstream but is a much more common, we have several communities and software around, for all ages, all difficulty levels of usage. Youtube videos cover pretty much everything. I guess the audience now is better informed, already know how to deal with more software complexity than 15 years ago, also information is much more widespread. Instead of only a hobby tool, RM has the potential to be a serious contender in 2D arena. (I mean... They're trying with Pixel Game Maker, right?)

Now if they want to cater to this audience, well, it is up to them. There's still a huge gap between RM and other "serious" engines and it's good that the community tries to fill the blanks. But it's only the tool that is holding us back now.

Last edited:

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Interesting topic :3

1. Naming in projects is a nightmare if you do several projects. Okay, you can "name" it, but why this don't name the project file (that game.rmmzproject file) too is beyond my comprehension. Why? Because of Windows Jumplists:
View attachment 186241
Which one is the 'game' I want? All of those are different projects, some for different clients. Unless I hover them and wait for a windows tooltip to appear and point to the folder, I would never know, it should be trial and error.
Not to discount from your suggestion, but I want to let you know that you can rename the project file. This workaround is something you can do today:
1618644475807.png

P.s. the game.rmmzprojects are throwaway projects.

I am not sure I like the idea of the rmmzproject file being renamed whenever you change the title of the game. I do think it will fit well when creating a new project
1618644797117.png

Regarding tilesize I would suggest going with an option where you can specify a square tilesize in multiples of 8 or 16. That would give us some more freedom and it will provide an extra reason to buy pre-MV makers to get access their resources.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Rafael_Sol_Maker

Almighty God Jabu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zeriab

Hello there! Thanks for the answer! Yes, you pointed the exact reason, why it doesn't (re)name the file automatically is beyond me. It's still leftovers from RM2Kx where you could only open a project if everything is in place with the exact name.

It's bizarre. I know I can rename it myself, but this only adds more salt to the wound, things like this sum up. At this point I'm almost believing that only an (small but notable) overhaul would take this bad taste from my mouth, hahahaha.

Later today I hope to bring new points here to the discussion. Maybe if we can get a good list endorsed by some influent guys, they might consider looking into the stuff, I don't know. But worth a try.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Screenshot-2021-05-02-at-15-07-54.png

Tivadar will help you travel to distant places in Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace

Finally done with the school project, here's the raw video of it. o_O :smile:
Can February March? No, but April May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harry30705