Just bought RPG Maker MV and I think I encountered a bug. I think.

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently bought RPGMMV from Steam and was very excited to use it. I followed a YouTube guide and created a basic map where my characters ran around. However things got bad when in the second tutorial he taught me how to make a newbie Event where you talk to an NPC. I did what he said and the Event doesn't appear when I run the game, even though his did. I tried it various times but it never appears. The character is just supposed to stand there and talk when you click Enter. I can't find anything on how to fix this cause no one talks about something this simple going wrong. Please, someone help me, I want to enjoy creating my game. And if I'm the one to blame for a mistake I make in the program then please tell me how it is meant to be done.

Attachments

• Event Bug Sreenshot 1.png
    Event Bug Sreenshot 1.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Event Bug Sreenshot 2 .png
    Event Bug Sreenshot 2 .png
    417.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Event Bug Sreenshot 3.png
    Event Bug Sreenshot 3.png
    757.9 KB · Views: 17

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moving to MV Support - let's not assume it's a bug and work on some troubleshooting steps first

What is the name of the image you're using for the NPC?
What is the (full) path to your project folder (rather than Documents/... I'm interested in the whole thing from C:\\... - if it doesn't show you this, click in the address bar where it says Documents<whatever> and it should change to the full format)
In your screenshot of the event, there is only one event page. Can you confirm that you haven't added a second page at any time that has no sprite and no conditions?
When you test play and the NPC isn't there, please hit F8 to open the Developer Tools window, then find the Console tab. Are there any messages there? Can you show a screenshot?

This has nothing to do with your issue, but you have called your event EV001. But it's actually EV002 as you can see from the title of the event window. Where is event 1? Try just deleting ALL events on the map and recreate it - that should give it the name EV001. Again, I doubt this has anything to do with your problem, but calling events by the wrong name will end up confusing you (and the name really doesn't matter anyway, unless you're getting into more complex scripting stuff where you're searching for events by name).

Have you added any plugins? If so, which ones.

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The name of the image for the NPC is People1, and it's the old bald guy. I put my project in Data (E:), an external hard drive in a folder named RPG Projects. I erased the old man and made him again so that he is EV001. I didn't add any new pages since the tutorial didn't explain that yet so decided not to touch it. I took a screnshot of the Developer Tools' Console Tab and what appeared. And no, I don't have plugins added, since I just bought the game and are completely new. Thank you for responding.

Attachments

• Developer Tools Old Guy.png
    Developer Tools Old Guy.png
    181 KB · Views: 6
  • Developer Tools Old Guy Console Tab.png
    Developer Tools Old Guy Console Tab.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 5

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And when you erased the event and made it again, did it work?

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, no. It remains the same. Old dude doesn't appear.

Attachments

• Event Bug Screenshot 4.png
    Event Bug Screenshot 4.png
    770.6 KB · Views: 3

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
are you starting a new game or continuing a saved game inside the playtest? The current map is always saved, and changes to the current map will only be visible if the player leaves and re-enters.

is there a folder www inside your project folder? if yes, you made the mistake of deploying into the project folder - doing that damages the project and prevents the playtest from going to the latest data.

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Andar, thanks for replying to my post. I did find a www folder in my project. Do you know how to fix it? If it can't, can you tell me what not to do so next time I don't screw it up? I started the project just a few hours ago and simply followed some instructions by a YouTuber, so I don't know even the most basic of stuff.
are you starting a new game or continuing a saved game inside the playtest? The current map is always saved, and changes to the current map will only be visible if the player leaves and re-enters.

is there a folder www inside your project folder? if yes, you made the mistake of deploying into the project folder - doing that damages the project and prevents the playtest from going to the latest data.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV definitely has bugs but I don't think that's one of them. Try deleting all save files in the save folder like @Andar was saying sometimes it can be that. I would create a brand new project and just copy your data folder, image folder, and sound folders and replace them into the new project folder don't have the game open in the engine while doing this if you don't know what you are doing.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did find a www folder in my project. Do you know how to fix it?
two steps
1) delete the www folder
2) make a new project and copy the packages.json file from that new project into your damaged project, overwriting the wrong one.

after that, make sure that any deployment you do gets into a different folder, usually an output folder for your demos instead of the project folder

EDIT: follow the link to the starting point in my signature, that tutorial contains the basics for Ace, MV and MZ as the changes to eventing were minor and much of it is even more basic than that.

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV definitely has bugs but I don't think that's one of them. Try deleting all save files in the save folder like @Andar was saying sometimes it can be that. I would create a brand new project and just copy your data folder, image folder, and sound folders and replace them into the new project folder don't have the game open in the engine while doing this if you don't know what you are doing.
I created another project and it finally worked, but I don't know how to copy the data folder, image folder, and sound folders and replace them into the new project folder.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In all honesty, you have one map with one event. I wouldn't bother - I'd just go with a new project and delete the old one, then make sure to avoid doing the thing that caused the issue.

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In all honesty, you have one map with one event. I wouldn't bother - I'd just go with a new project and delete the old one, then make sure to avoid doing the thing that caused the issue.
I did the thing that Andar said and it worked, the first one actually shows old dude. But can you explain what happened with the www folder and how to make an output folder and other stuff? I still dont really understand what "deployment in the project folder" does. Im sorry for being such a noob.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did the thing that Andar said and it worked, the first one actually shows old dude. But can you explain what happened with the www folder and how to make an output folder and other stuff? I still dont really understand what "deployment in the project folder" does. Im sorry for being such a noob.
Your not supposed to deploy to the project folder. Deployment is meant for when you distribute your game to the public so DO NOT deploy to project folder.

Cyber_Nova_X

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your not supposed to deploy to the project folder. Deployment is meant for when you distribute your game to the public so DO NOT deploy to project folder.
And how do I not deploy it? Does that mean to never run the game outside of the RPGMMV, like in the files where it says Game?

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
  1. You can playtest without deploying your game.

2. Deploy your game (File > Deployment) only when you want to create a version of it for other people to play.

3. Never deploy to your project folder because that is what causes the problem you experienced. Deploy to a different location, e.g. the Desktop.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Deployment is only needed for distribution. The game can be launched and played and tested without deployment.

deployment means creating a copy of everything that is in your project directory, but with a few changes depending on the settings for deployment.
for example you can encrypt the resources so that they are not usable outside the game - that way no one who gets your game can rip your pictures out.
and another difference is that on deployment, the project file itself gets removed - so that no one can open the deployed project with the editor to cheat the game.

That is why you do not want to mix up your original project with the deployed game, and why saving them into the same folder creates problems.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know how to copy the data folder, image folder, and sound folders and replace them into the new project folder.
To copy a folder, you click on it, then on the top menu click Copy (if you're on Windows 10). You can also right-click it and select Copy, or press Ctrl+C.

Go to the place where you want to paste it (the folder of the original project) and press Paste on the top menu. You can also right-click in an empty area of the folder and select Paste, or press Ctrl+V.

You should consider looking up a tutorial for your operating system - this is extremely basic computer usage, and making a game in RPG Maker requires a certain degree of do-it-yourself knowhow and computer familiarity.
And how do I not deploy it? Does that mean to never run the game outside of the RPGMMV, like in the files where it says Game?
You can start a playtest from within MV by clicking the icon with an arrow on the top bar that says Playtest when you mouse over it.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. You can playtest without deploying your game.

2. Deploy your game (File > Deployment) only when you want to create a version of it for other people to play.

3. Never deploy to your project folder because that is what causes the problem you experienced. Deploy to a different location, e.g. the Desktop.
One of the things I appreciate about MZ is that they removed the ability to deploy to the project folder. I just wish they'd included that tweak in MV.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm back from an 11 year hiatus. Lol
I sometime envy the people that haven't played Skyrim yet. I feel like I could trade the whole world to be able to make my first pilgrimage to High Hrothgar all over again
Come join us while we play Pocket Mirror by Astral Shift! :LZSjoy: Starting at 2PM ET today!
Tried changing profile icon but...It just felt weird, you know? Who would even want to talk to me if I didn't have this fat yellow rodent thing....Or whatever it is as a mascot....No one, that's who! I am nothing without it. NOTHING!!..
I am having such a good hair day but because it's thunderstorms all day I don't go out and as such nobody will see my hair >.< It's not often my hair cooperates!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GanMvV