- Nov 12, 2016
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
Kek, the Embodiment of Darkness
The scourge of the night, the darkness beyond time, the king of tyrants, this immortal embodiment of death and darkness has been called by many names. Their mere presence brings ruin upon entire continents, and with his unending dark powers he can fell even the strongest of adventurers upon it's awakening with a single breath. Kek has existed since the dawn of time, feeding off of the dark emotions of humanity to grow ever stronger.
Once he gains enough energy after 1000 years of resting or so, he awakens, bringing ruin to the world until he is somehow stopped, which always happens eventually, no matter how much terror he brings. Old legends tell that when the multiverse was but a seed, a gigantic frog leapt out of the chaos and tried to swallow it whole. Luckily, the angel who planted the seed of creation in the first place defended it with her life, and the evil creature was slain. Some say that Kek is the incarnation of that ancient frog from before time began, but none can say for certain.
Kek is also the cause of the tyrant phenomena, a mysterious event that causes strange otherworldly monsters to appear called Tyrants, who only come into being every 1000 years when the planets align, signaling that Kek, the Tyrant King, would rise once again. So one can say for sure how these tyrants come into being, but many speculate that Kek uses the power of the void to summon them from other realms. (Appears in Zero Gear Chronicles)
How to Encounter
Kek is an Elite Tyrant and the 5th strongest Tyrant in the game, after the Sage Trinity and the Goddess herself. He is ranked Tyrant #116, and can only be fought when the entire main story has been complete up to the point of no return, you are a Master Rank mercenary, and you have cleared all previous Elite Tyrants. (Tyrants #101-#114) He can be found at night during a thunderstorm in Omegas Wastes - Dark Scablands. Since he is a Lv.155 monster, above the level cap like all over elite tyrants, he will always chase you and you will never have advantage, even at max level.
Once encountered, Kek with begin the fight with "Chaos Twister," which he will spam throughout the fight. Chaos Twister, against what you make think, deals Almighty damage, not Chaos damage, and will always have a 25% chance to inflict instant death, even when your characters are immune to it. While the attack hits all allies, the attack will not inflict instant death on more than 2 actors in order to prevent an instant party wipe during this extremely long fight. Kek can also use Chaos Scourge which always deals 9999 damage to one party member along with the powerful chaos elemental attacks Oblivion Edge and Chaos Razor, along with his powerful basic attack which hits all targets. The main focus of this fight is keeping your party alive while consistently laying down the hurt to take down Kek's massive 5 Million HP, which is difficult since Kek has so many moves that can instantly kill one or more party members. Along with that, Kek is immune to every status ailment in the game, but is completely venerable to all debuffs, so debuffing him right away is a good strategy to make his chaos elemental attacks, his strong basic attack, and his powerful defenses a lot more manageable.
- Kek is currently the enemy with highest HP in the entire Chronicles of Chronicles series so far, with 5 Million compared to the next highest, Barbello with 3.3 Million HP.
- Kek is originally based on an ancient Egyptian deity known by the same name. This is why Kek appears as a frog, since Kek in Egyptian mythology is often portrayed as a frog and just like the same is an embodiment of darkness and chaos.
- Kek in internet culture is often associated with the meme character "Pepe the Frog," the mascot of the infamous message board 4chan, and was often used in ironic memes relating to the character before the American far-right adopted the character and it's assorted memes and turned it into a hate symbol. However, most uses of pepe, the kek meme, and other associated memes are not often used as hate symbols, and only are considered hate symbols in certain contexts.
- Kek was originally called "The Darkness," but the creator, KrimsonKatt, changed it to Kek to give the boss more of an identity, to give more representation to Egyptian mythology in games, and to make it stand out more.
- KrimsonKatt has privately stated that Nyx would be a better option as the boss, but forwent going that route due to Nyx's status as the final boss of Persona 3, another RPG, and being a helpful and motherly figure in the game Hades by Supergiant Games, which would contrast with her depiction in Zero Gear Chronicles.
- The idea for this boss was originally created by @Bendyizzt as a reward for a request the creator put out to making a certain map for him in his previous game, Meteo Chronicles. It was later refined by the creator to something a bit more memorable.
This sprite is completely prohibited for use in any commercial game whatsoever. This includes games that have an upfront price, free games that have paid DLC, free games with in-game ads, microtransactions, or paid sponsorships, and free games that advertise an alternative revenue source for the creator. If you wish to use my sprite in a non commercial game, you must first contact me and have me review your game before I give explicit permission. The rules are as strict as they are because I plan to use these sprite I've made personally in a future project and am mainly posting them for other people to admire, not to use for themselves, though I am open to people using them in certain scenarios but ONLY if I give you permission.