RMMV Keys to the Kingdom (Are these cool ideas?)

mikeogjr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey folks.

So I'm wondering if my idea is feasible and sounds cool. I've made some other, very simple games on RPGMMV and now I want to try my hand at something more complex than "find key, open door, kill monster, win game".

I say complex, however, I want to keep some things simple so that I can focus on making the events and the rest of the game play fun and engaging.

First off, I want the player to collect keys which open the next dungeon. When all of the keys are collected the player uses them to ALL to open the door to the last dungeon.

I also want to utilize upgradable weapons and armor a lot, and items and weapons that are necessary to progress the story and take out bosses. However, I don't want my the the character to level up. I want the player to be dependant on finding items and armor which will raise their stats.

Does any of this make sense? Is it too complex, or just the right amount of complex for someone looking to jump into the next stage of RPG design?

Thanks!

AdeptusUK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's a fine idea for a new project. There are plugins in the YEP collection (and doubtless loads elsewhere!) that will help with equipment upgrades.

You may run into a few technical issues with not levelling up, for instance how will you remove the exp message from the post-battle sequence whilst still displaying the money earned... But solving stuff like that is all part of the fun!

I'd suggest working on a puzzle as well, even if you are copying a puzzle from a game you like. In my experience you'll learn a lot more from something like that than anticipated.

mikeogjr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah the "no leveling" thing is sort of setting me back a bit.

Copying a puzzle is a perfect idea, actually! I think I'll do that just to get some ideas. I'll basically copy something from The Legend of Zelda or something.

AdeptusUK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you wanted to handle it for playtesting only without doing all the aesthetic stuff around it you can fake it by making all of the stat curves flat in the Classes tab in the database, if that helps at all!

Edit: lots of 'it' and no definite subject. I'm talking about removing levelling in the above.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDontEvenKnow