Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese

KHAN
- a kanji catching game -
 ​
PLATFORM: RPG Maker MV

MAIN FEATURE: gather kanji (japanese characters) and use their power in your journey.

The society of today has lost interest in kanji (漢字). People from the past used to have deep knowledge about these characters, but nowadays it is restricted to scholars and some other people that still want to study them historically or culturally. For such purposes, there are some schools around the country where you still can learn about these ancient and complex characters.
 ​
Khan is a boy that lives in a village very close to a kanji school. He began to study kanji without much understanding of it, but has soon become the center of attentions, principally for the headmaster. Khan doesn't know, but he is a descendant of ancient kanshi (漢士), warriors that used the secret power of kanji in their battles to protect the kingdom. The headmaster perceives this and asks Khan to pursue some missions in order to awaken his hidden power of the ancient 漢士.
 ​
While Khan goes on his journey, he realizes his real power by manipulating the ancient characters, and also by meeting the spirits of the ancient 漢士 warriors. They help Khan develop his abilities, but also warn him about his mission. It's when Khan begins to realize that the headmaster's plan isn't exactly as he had been told.
 ​
The kanji schools are a way of looking for descendants of the kanshi warriors. After identified, they should either follow the guidance of the school headmaster and end up as a soldier of an evil army, or be eliminated. There is an evil plan that has started to search and recruit descendants of kanshi warrios for a secret malevolent purpose.
 ​
GAME FEATURES:

The game will have about 100 kanji to be collected and used. Each character has a meaning, and it's meaning will reflect it's power. For example, the kanji 火 = fire will be used in battle for fire abilities; 日 = sun will be used out of battle to show the sun up in the sky; 山 = mountain, 川 = river, 天 = heavens, sky, they will all be kanji for teletransportation (warp kanji); and so on.

WHY THIS GAME?

I am a japanese teacher, and kanji is one of the toughest parts of its study. In order to help students (and even myself), I thought of a game that could help people memorize this without studying for it (as we do with more than 700 pokemon's names, evolutions, levels, types etc.). This game is surely intended to have sequences and cover more kanji in following improved versions.

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR?

I am doing everything by myself. I can handle many things, but they don't end up very pro-like. Of course it's not easy task, but it could be better done if more experienced people were working together. The project main need is with eventing, but pixel art, writers, scripting and mapping (and pretty much any other help) would help a lot. If you are a general maker and feel interested, please contact me.

RESTATING SOME IMPORTANT THINGS:

THIS IS A FREE, NON-COMMERCIAL PROJECT. IT HAS EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES, BUT I WANT IT TO BE INTERESTING, NOT "BORING-IN-AN-EDUCATIONAL-GAME-TRYING-TO-BE-INTERESTING-LEVEL".

I do not intend to pay for nothing during the gane development.

The game is being built with RPG Maker MV only, and completely in English (with some obvious japanese parts). There are plans of translating it into other languages after completion (principally into portuguese, which is my native language).

Are you interested? Do not hesitate and contact me for further information.

Last edited by a moderator:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I really like this idea. As someone who's struggled with kanji (and still do from time to time), I'd love to play a game like thiis.

I'm busy myself with my own projects though. ^^;

Anyway, good luck!

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is awesome! Since I'm learning Japanese myself this would be super useful, can't wait to see it complete.

S_Rank_Crazy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This post immediately reminded of this. Looking forward to seeing how both turn out. What's your current progress with the game? You got all the systems and mechanics planned out already? I'm up for lending a hand if you need it, I'm an experienced programmer but only recently started learning javascript (pretty much just for MV).

Perrotta

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Hey! It's good to know that there are people already interested in it^^ One dear indonesian fellow contacted me volundteering for the project, but we haven't started working together yet (principally because it's difficult to share the project virtually), but we'll start soon. As for now, I'm trying to finish a very simple demo containing some basics up to the first dungeon. Surely the game mechanics are very complicated to program and event (there are more than 100 kanji!), but you'll be able to have a general idea very soon^^

I'm using some plugins too, and they're difficult to master. I'll probably use some mouse features too, as well as a sort of complex HUD for kanji usage. But for this demo, I believe these features won't be implemented yet...

S_Rank_Crazy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
principally because it's difficult to share the project virtually
Thanks to VM using json and javascript for its source files, it might be a good idea to put it in to something like a git repository. This'll will allow multiple people to work the project remotely and not have to worry about overwriting each others changes and losing progress.

Surely the game mechanics are very complicated to program and event (there are more than 100 kanji!)
This really depends on how much you plan stuff out beforehand. I'm a programmer by trade and depending on the requirements for the system(s), you can achieve very flexible a complex outcomes with very simple code. Coding is basically like problem solving, there's always more than one way to solve a problem  :)

I'm getting the gist of how a few of the default systems in RPG Maker work (and I've made a few plugins) but it's still a learning experience. If you don't mind my lack of experience with the engine I'd be up for lending a hand when I can :)  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.
Either I just had one of those dreams where you think you're awake, or I have time traveled. I woke up at 6:58am this morning, heard my father leaving for work, laid back down, now its 1:16am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayato7729