Khas Advanced Lighting v4.2 Ultra (now with real-time shadows!)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Khas, Apr 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarkShadow44

DarkShadow44 Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    It is dependent on your graphics driver and your graphics card. The browser has a feature called WebGL that allows the game to use the graphics card to render images. This plugin NEEDS WebGL support. But for some drivers the browser inside the game engine decides that the GPU should not be used. You can ignore this GPU blacklist with the command I gave you, and force the browser to enable WebGL support.

cedr777 likes this.
  2. Skurge

Skurge " (GASP) What's going on!? " Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm after making an overworld event flash a white light like as if it were a muzzle flash of a gun, so far I've been able to perform this by making two pages with the comment commands, is there a way anyone knows to make this combined into just a single page function? It would help me sequence these things better that way.

3. Hagal_

Hagal_ Villager Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, I´m gonna ask something really wierd here, but I can´t seem to figure it out by myself and I feel I need to know. So sorry for dumb question coming up...

Practically, what does WebGL-demand in RMMVplugin mean? Does it mean that my game have to be played through a web-browser? if I use plugins using webgl, what does that mean for my finnished game?

4. cedr777

cedr777 Lead developer of "Charao Life" Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can confirm compatibility issue with Yanfly's Options Core plugin.
    I am using RPGMV 1.6.1 with my project updated to match that version as well.
    I found out just today that this plugin is not compatible with Yanfly's Options Core.
    You will get this error:
    [​IMG]
    "Cannot read property 'length' of undefined." whenever you try to access the Options menu.

Here is a screenshot of my Plugin Manager Window:
    [​IMG]

Aside from several complaints from several users about the Blend modes undefined error during playtest of an exported game, this compatibility issue with the YEP options core just came to light on me today.

The Options core is required for all my other Yanfly plugins as I am also using his keyboard config and button common events. So now, I am considering switching over to Terrax Lighting instead.

5. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it possible to turn this plugin on/off using a plugin command in game? If not, is there a way that we can use this plug but still support the shadow pen tool in the map editor in-game? Currently, this plugin removes the ability to see any other shadows such as those from the shadow pen tool.

6. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since I've switched over to Terrax lighting, I Can't remember if there was but you might want to check out Khas' tutorial video on that. As for the default shadow provided by the editor's shadow pen tool, yes by default Khas' plugin disables that. If you want to turn it back on there is a solution previously provided by someone here. So you will need to do some backreading.

SOC likes this.
  7. Sword of Spirit

Sword of Spirit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, this plugin looks cool, but I'm in the camp that has some serious issues with it. For my needs, these are problems:

1) I can't give it all of my regions. I do need to have more than one region for each height, but in total I can't spare more than about 50 regions. I need them for other things.
    2) I don't really like having the auto-shadows from the shadow pen disabled.
    3) The help/tutorial leaves out some things it needs to address. Like how (or even if) you can change the size of the player lantern. This is a different type of issue than the first two, and if it weren't for them I'd be experimenting more and spending time trying to figure that all out. As it is, my time may be better spent elsewhere.

The best thing about this plugin is the ability to block light, but the implementation is problematic.

My question is: has anyone addressed this by creating a plugin that "fixes" these sorts of issues? (And is there a more in-depth manual to how to use the plugin than is found on the blog?) I don't like that Terrax Lighting won't be blocked by walls, but I absolutely can't give away all but 9 of my regions to this one to address that problem.

8. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not using this plugin anymore and have switched to Terrax lighting since encountering an issue with Yanfly's Options core and a Gamebreaking bug which your players trying out your project when you finish it may or may not encounter: "Blend modes underined error." But if you still want to try...from what I can remember, you can change the size of the player lantern by setting up your own or modifying the png images from the plugin folder. I cannot tell you the details because it's been months since I made the switch and thus can't remember anymore.

Sadly, I don't think so. Support for this plugin has long gone since Khas has fallen from the face of the earth. You will have to make due. or chose between this plugin or Terax's.

On a side note, In the past, I did also thought of the ability of this plugin to create real time shadows on the corners of the wall was cool. but sadly the problems it causes as I developed our game became greater than the benefit it provides. (at least for me)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Sword of Spirit likes this.
  9. Sword of Spirit

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. I could really use the ability to block light (the little shadows themselves I could take or leave), but it does sadly seem like this one has more issues than I can deal with.

10. Kenode

Kenode Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did modify the plugin a bit a while ago to make it to only use the regions ending in 0 being recognized for the height map, but I'm not a programmer and I'm sure there are better solutions for it than what I did. I was using Terrax Lighting before, but I had to drop it because it was causing a really bad framerate drop on some large maps. The problem disappeared after switching to Khas'

11. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want to like Terrax's plugin, but the lack of "ambient light" support really makes it difficult to use in maps you don't want pitch back, which is why I prefer Khas' much more.

12. Kenode

Kenode Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can make a light ridiculously big around the center for that effect, but I am not sure if that's what caused the performance issues I had.

13. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just a heads up for those attempting the use or continuing the use of this plugin. Eventually, someday you'll finish your game and you'll most likely let people try it,
    only to have some of them see a game breaking error: "Blend modes of undefined."

Regret is always at the end as they say.

14. Kenode

Kenode Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What causes this? I'd like to know to avoid the issue myself. I really can't switch back to Terrax, because it drops my framerate down to 10 fps in some maps, which is unacceptable.

15. Sword of Spirit

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unfortunately, I'd need something a bit more intricate--I'd want to have, say, 3 regions for each height up to at most 8 tiles, and then all the further up regions untouched. That, and the crash for some end users would be a real pain.

Yeah, that is the big downside (that and the complete inability to have walls block light), along with the complete inability to have walls block light sources.

-----

You know, what we really need is for some ambitious soul to make a completely new lightning plugin, taking the lessons learned from these 2 promising but flawed ones, and making something awesome.

Kenode likes this.
  16. Kenode

Kenode Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did find another plugin, which has an in-game editor. Sadly, I've seen people also have severe framerate drops. I'm glad I heard about the crash, though. I was really close to purchasing a license from Khas to use the plugin commercially. I'm beginning to consider ditching RPGMaker MV altogether. Supposedly, it's easy to make a game in it, but I keep finding roadblocks over and over.

17. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As for me, I used Plugin command: Tint set #00116a make the room less dark.

* TileBlock and RegionBlock settings
    * To block lights on certain tiles (roofs for instance) you can use the following plugin command.
    * TileBlock 1 ON #000000 Will block light on tiles with tile-tag 1.

Any plugin will have flaws, it's up to you as the user to make due or commission someone to do it if you really need it.

EDIT: as for the framerate drop on terrax plugin, I get that as well on large maps with lots of light sources. A temporary fix is to open the menu and close it afterwards.

18. Sword of Spirit

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I can see how you could use those settings that prevent light from showing on a particular region to figure out something, but it's much more difficult to get useful results with than being able to block a source of light from passing a wall/barrier. It's not just about effort required though, it's about conflicts with other resources. If your entire game isn't in an dungeon, and you need regions for other purposes (like preventing movement with Yanfly's essential region restrictions), or more control over random encounters, etc, these things get to the point where they aren't worth bothering with, which is probably where I'm at with the current offerings.

19. Kenode

Kenode Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is exactly what caused the framerate drop for me. I even wrote a thread about it before I tried Khas' plugin. It is... okay for most of the time, then as soon as I open the menu, then close it, the framerate drop begins.
    I really want to ask, do you have a way of reproducing the crash you mention? I want to see if it happens to me too.

20. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The blend mode error crash happens sporadically, however, users with older pcs that don't support webgl seem to encounter it more often. for more details go back a few pages in this thread. Someone has already explained why this happens.