Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ultra%2BLighting%2B-%2BSimple%2BLogo.png

Looking for the MV version?
There's an updated (and free for non-commercial projects) MV version here (click me!).

The Definitive Update!

The definitive update is available! The demo now includes more gameplay to cover the new features, I hope you guys like it :D

Khas Graphics Library updated to 2.0 | KGL was updated to add performance fixes and a fix for triggering anti virus software false positives. Now everything works fine.
Script commands now work with omitted time (instant) | For those who like to use Ultra Lighting script commands, now they work with omitted time. It's easier to use!
Fixed [lighting on/off] tag to sync with the switch | Fixes a bug which was causing problems with lighting controls.
Added F12 reset compatibility | Integrates the previous add-on functionality to the core script.
Added light level command | For creative users, now you can measure the light level by calling $game_map.shadows.light_level(x, y). This is a powerful tools for scripters!
Added comment tags to override offset | Now you can override a light's offset by using the commands [offset_x A] and [offset_y B], where A and B are integers in pixels (can be negative).
New add-on: Sticky Jump | This add-on fixes an issue some people have with jumping. It should be used with caution, but you'll know if you need it.
New add-on: Battle Lighting | Adds a lighting layer to battle scenes! It gives new life to your battles.
New add-on: Light/Shadow Detector | A new add-on for users with lots of creativity! You can add shadow and light detectors to a map, bringing puzzles to a new level.

Introduction
Hiding characters in shadows or showing them in bright light, give your game a completely new look! Adjust lighting conditions to suit your game’s style, creating well-illuminated houses or spooky dark caves.

Created by Khas, the Ultra Lighting is an advanced lighting engine for RPG Maker VX Ace, which employs fast per-pixel operations to render lights and shadows, resulting in an immersive scene. The system is designed to be highly compatible with all kinds of scripts, turning it into an essential feature that can be present in all of your games. Who knows what the shadows can hide?

Features
Achieved with KGL. Fast graphics processing = fancy effects
Shadow overlay
Easy to use with comments and notetags
Comes with an user guide
Advanced light blending (realistic and beautiful colors)
Random opacity variation (useful for torches and broken lights)
Dynamic shadows for any light
Soft shadows (a.k.a. anti-aliased edges)
Easy to upgrade from Awesome Light Effects
Smart chunk management increase performance on big maps
Easily extensible by official add-ons

Add-ons
These add-ons can be downloaded here and added to your game. Some will add new features, some will make the script work better and some will make other scripts compatible with Ultra Lighting. Please note that they will only work if you have the Ultra Lighting script - otherwise your game will crash.

Graphics Menu (included - ready to use!) - Let the player adjust the graphics settings
Lantern (included - ready to use!) - Adds support for a lantern item, including a hotkey
Light Groups (included - ready to use!) - Group lights and control their opacity
Ultra Fog (free add-on - fog graphics) - The best fog script you can have with Ultra Lighting. Includes support for Graphics Settings.
Todd's Autosave - Compatibility add-on
Vlue's Advanced Game Time - Compatibility add-on
Battle Lighting (included - ready to use!) - Adds lighting to battles!
Light/Shadow Detector (included - ready to use!) - Adds detectors to your game.
Sticky Jump (included - ready to use!) - Fixes some an issue with jump. Use with caution - may not be necessary.

Deprecated add-ons (not needed if you have the version 1.1 or greater)
F12 Reset - Compatibility add-on
Lighting on/off quick fix (free add-on) - Use this if you're having trouble with map notetags

Required scripts
These scripts are included with the Ultra Lighting, but they can be updated separately! I will keep a link to them and their version here so you can always easily check if you're using the latest version!
Khas Core Library - Latest version: 1.03
Khas Graphics Library - Latest version: 2.00 (script) | 2.00 (dll)

Screenshots

Videos

Update Log
02.24.2017 The Definitive update
10.03.2015 Vlue's AGT Integration has been updated to 1.02
09.27.2015 Vlue's AGT Integration has been updated to 1.01
09.27.2015 The Foggy Time update
08.23.2015 Added new videos
08.23.2015 KCL updated to version 1.01
08.22.2015 Added F12 Reset Compatibility Add-on
08.21.2015 Added Todd's Autosave Compatibility Add-on
08.21.2015 Release

Download
Buy it now at the official RPG Maker Store!

Official Support
Visit the Khas Scripts sub-forum!

Last edited:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's awesome likes I though! 

my littles suggestion for adds-ons

maybe a collision  add-ons for permit events to detects the sources of light ! (lamp, light torchlight ect)

I know stupid idea haha

Khas

Detective lv73
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! Actually this is an awesome idea :D

This is possible and very likely to be added!

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Khas: we've already spoken on PM, but for the benefit of others who might want to add their voice:

Compatibility with Vlue's Advanced Game Time script is something I need for my project. Thanks!

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
  1. Can I transfer my lights from Awesome Light Effects to this new script?

Does the script work in the same way? (Comments like "light 0")
Is it as heavy on the CPU as Awesome light Effects?
Banana Split, or Chocolate smoothie?

Khas

Detective lv73
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I will record a video tomorrow to show some features in use, it will help a lot to understand better the script!

GolfHacker

I've added that to the list! 

Integration with time systems is simple and a must :D

KanaX

1/2. Yes! You will need to create a new declaration, but it's not difficult.

A light declaration that would look like this on Awesome Light effects:

0 => ["light",255,0,true], # You can use this light with [light 0]Looks like this on Ultra Lighting:

"0" => { # You can use this light with [light 0] too! :light => "light", :opacity => 255, :variation => 0, :static => false, :shadows => true, :offset => [0,0], },Note that you can use strings for light IDs now, but you can still use numbers, you just need to put them inside quotes.

Also, Awesome Light Effects had light pictures with inverted colors (inside the Graphics folder). With Ultra Lighting there's no need to invert the colors anymore, so you will need to invert the colors from ALE pictures to obtain the original image again. 

You can control the shadow overlay with comments like [command xxxxx] too! It's very easy to use, and there's also scripts calls for advanced use.

3. Since RPG Maker VX Ace doesn't have access to the GPU (stable and functional, at least), everything has to run on the CPU. The good news is that Ultra Lighting is accelerated by my custom graphics library, which has powerful and faster functions to draw stuff, when compared to standard RGSS methods. Thus, it's lighter to run than any other lighting script, so you should expect performance improvements and better effects.

Another interesting point is that there's a graphics settings menu now. The player can adjust some settings to suit his machine :D

4. Chocolate smoothie! Always a big fan of chocolate :9

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
could this be used well with parallax maps?

Khas

Detective lv73
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Deathswallow

I'm not familiar with parallax maps, but the shadow generation is independent from the tile maps now.

Do you have a parallax map demo by any chance? I can test with the script and make compatible if necessary.

Stapleton

Underground
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gaeilge
Primarily Uses
N/A
Father light, I surely say you quite bright as this script is a shining piece of craftsmanship.

Very nice work indeed. I will be purchasing such script.

Thank you for your hard work.

Last edited by a moderator:

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
The offset option made me salivate.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I should get this when I get some money, pretty tight on budget right now. XD

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Deathswallow

I'm not familiar with parallax maps, but the shadow generation is independent from the tile maps now.

Do you have a parallax map demo by any chance? I can test with the script and make compatible if necessary.
No, but i will gladly wip a test dummy parallax map project for you, just give me a day or so.

Victor_Roland

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes! I will finally be able to toggle my lantern via input! Now I can actually design my core mechanics! I'll be sure to buy this when I have money.

Khas

Detective lv73
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks everyone :D

Deathswallow

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help and effort :D

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
Add-on idea: Rotate light source. For cases like flashlights, where the light is directional and not just a radius like a lantern, it would be extremely useful. A 40 degree rotation left and right would be great.

Makeratore

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome! But I will buy it only if there is a full integration with Vlue's Advanced Game Time, like with the previous Awesome Light Effects. So I expect, for example, that the tint and the lights change automatically with the current time of the user's pc, etc.

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will this be available on Steam as well? I like to keep all my DLC in one place whenever possible.

PabloNeirotti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Great job!

I will most certainly be buying this if Sun Shadows are implemented, which I believe it'd make the $25 price tag worth it.

Ambient Occlusion is second on my list. Also would love this.

Congrats and good luck!

Khas

Detective lv73
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
KanaX
This idea is great, but rotation isn't viable yet (performance reasons, it's a bit slow :( ).

Makeratore
Thanks! Soon it will be integrated :D

Sacrifyx
Yep! It will be available, but I'm not sure when. This doesn't depend on me, but I think it will be available in October.

Deathswallow
Thanks a lot :D

PabloNeirotti
Thanks man!
I'm not sure if sun shadows will be available, they only work with rectangular buildings for now. But I will see what I can do.

I have a prototype of ambient occlusion which looks like this:

Original Scene
test_normal.png

Ambient Occlusion
test_ao.png

Ambient Occlusion + Ultra Lighting
B5-F5MjIYAAce46.png

Ambient Occlusion + Ultra Lighting + Ultra Fog
B8E0xeIIgAAeUYS.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink