Kid Generator Parts Usage Questions

CrisR82

Lord of the Pandas
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question about the use rights for the Kid Generator Parts DLC - the site has two tags in particular that concern me: "Violent Content Forbidden" and "Adult Content Forbidden". While the labels are self-explanatory, they, by themselves seem far too broad to clarify where the line is drawn, so I want to ask for a detailed clarification.

Maybe it will be easier to just throw in a few situations as examples of unclear situations. So, can a sprite made with the Kid Generator Parts DLC be used in a game...:
- if there is violent/adult content in the game but the kid character is not present in the scene
- if there is violent/adult content in the game, the kid character is present in the scene but is not taking part in it
- if there is violent/adult content in the game, the kid is taking part in it, but the sprite was edited (here the question is more "does the Editing Permitted" overwrite the other labels, as it adds custom content to the end result)

SirDhyne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Apologies if this counts as necroing, but I too am curious, more specifically the first situation.

Based on the wording of the pack, does it mean that, if there is any violent/adult content in the game, you're not allowed to use the child generator at all? Or is it just that the children (understandably) cannot be involved in the scene?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It depends on the country. Some countries just outright ban any "violence against children." Silent Hill 1/2 (I forgot which one) had the gray children where in japan it's ok to hit them, but in EU they had to be completely redesigned to comply with their rules.

As long as the child itself is not harmed you can (usually) be safe to use the child gen for distribution.

SirDhyne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So it would be fine to have kids in the game as random/story NPCs, but exclude them from most violence and all adult scenes? That's good to know, especially if I want to give a party member a child as part of her story. Thank you!

CrisR82

Lord of the Pandas
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on the country. Some countries just outright ban any "violence against children." Silent Hill 1/2 (I forgot which one) had the gray children where in japan it's ok to hit them, but in EU they had to be completely redesigned to comply with their rules.

As long as the child itself is not harmed you can (usually) be safe to use the child gen for distribution.
Well, yeah, local country laws would always take priority, but I was more looking at the ToS from Degica / KADOKAWA - the page - https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-mv-generator/rpg-mkr-mv-add-on-4 - has very vague wording on what is actually allowed. My guess is that from my original post, the second point is what it refers to, but then there is the 3rd point which I feel definitely needs to be clarified - on DLCs where editing is permitted, is that later treated as "new content" not bound to the original files' ToS or do they still apply?

Realistically speaking, the questions might seem trivial given the type of projects most people tend to make, but I feel knowing exactly where the limits are before even starting serious work on something is very important as "changes on technicality" might end up compromising gameplay or story elements down the line.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Editing an asset doesn't cancel the ownership of their product. You are given a right to modify, not ownership.

CrisR82

Lord of the Pandas
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fair enough (and expected really at that price point).
Well, considering it's been a few months since the topic was posted and there hasn't really been any exact clarification, I think it's safe to say it probably isn't as big of a deal as I originally thought it was, so I'm going to go with my assumption that the kid generator sprites cannot be taking part in the prohibited content and not the game itself not having it (I mean at the end of the day, the standard combat is a form of violence as well).

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(I mean at the end of the day, the standard combat is a form of violence as well).
You're right, but I'm not sure RPG battles are seen as violence since you get side-view battler parts for children. Well, unless they're just there to tease us. I'm just assuming it means things such as sexual abuse when it comes to violence and adult material. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Violence just seems like such a broad term.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker battles don't tend to have blood and gore and are cartoony enough. To be honest, we'd say it's not that big of a deal but we won't take responsibility if some EU censorship board finds your game as violence at children. (it's weird)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Lanza) that adds 5 more weather effects to our MV games. :LZYsmile: Namely:
Ash-dust,
bloodrain,
Cherry Blossom Petals,
Hail,
and bubbles.

I just like this website:
lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takufy