Kids and RPG Maker

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by mishakoc, Sep 1, 2019.

1. mishakoc

mishakoc Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I successfully managed to get my little brother (9) hooked up on RPG Maker again (yay!). Even though he doesn't understand what most event commands mean, can't use variables or switches (only self switches) and doesn't really touch database because he doesn't understand English at all, he's been having a blast making a ton of maps and events talking and jumping all over the map.
    I'd like to know if someone here has brought this RPG making passion to their children, siblings or other kids in the family (maybe even pupils?) and what's your experience. Did they found a love for it? Did they find it too frustrating?
    What kind of games and stories do they make if you don't mind sharing? I know they are usually very creative about this, even if a little bit nonsensical (that's the fun of it, right?). My brother, for example, is making a game about a boy named Gagarin Einstein, who comes from Olymp and his quest is to stop the European Union from forcing Russia to use euros (at least that's what he said it's about).
    Did you/do you use RPG Maker as a child/teenager? What is/was your experience?
    I feel like it's an amazing hobby for children to pursue, while it's a ton of fun, they learn quite a bit about programming logic and dedication to projects.

Skoops and Hyouryuu-Na like this.
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I blame my big bro for introducing me to RM around 11 years ago. Look what he made me into. He's already retired and have a family to take care and forgot about the gamedev all together. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in the gamedev loop.

But we did make a game about self-insert with the actors were ourselves in RMXP. Forgot the detail about the story, but it was about traveling around the world to find our father or something, so cliche, and so embarrassing.

3. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well me and my friends were 10y old when we discovered RM2000. We made a lot of maps and tried to make some minigames, as I was very curious in what one can do with coding. But we never actually tried to create a nice and deep story; if one of our games had a story it actually was a pretty nonsense one.

4. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My 8yo son saw me work on a project and was immediatly like 'I want to do that too!'

He mostly just makes maps, as he doesnt know much english either, and tells me what small events he wants in them xD

5. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I haven't done anything with kids and games but I'm thinking that a young kid who likes art could be supported to make "tree," "flower," "rectangle of infinite candy dispensing," etc. tileset graphics. Then they could make maps using their graphics.

6. BlitzMalachite

BlitzMalachite The Masterminded Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When I was 7. I used to use RPGMMV all the time. I got so interested in the fact that is was simple enough for a child. Oh happy ol' days :)

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not even. MV came out in Fall 2015, and it is 2019 now, 2019 - 2015 = 4 + 7 = 11. You'd have to be 11 now. Maybe you meant something else?

9. BlitzMalachite

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My pardon. RPG Maker VX Ace came out when I found this association with people :)

10. BlitzMalachite

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp
    I'm still the age i'm supposed to be. Here is something I would like to tell you.

This is the day when I found out about RPG Maker VX Ace.

2017, (Duno the month our day)

And that's all!

@Kes
    Like my reply to @bgillisp

11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We were referring to that post by you, and curious as MV did come out in 2015.

Though I do know what you mean about using makers at a young age. I used an old DOS maker when I was 12. The engine made games like Ultima I - III, and I had no idea what I was doing, nor had I really played any RPG's yet except Might and Magic I and an old shareware RPG called Wizard's Lair, so the result was a random world where you just walked around and eventually killed a dragon and it said the end. I'm glad that abomination only exists on 5.25 inch floppies now, as kinda hard for anyone to play it now!

So back to the OP: I think kids can handle it just fine. Sure they might not make a good product, but as long as they have fun doing it I think that is all that matters.

12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BlitzMalachite I'm still confused, as Ace came out in 2012, so that makes you 14, not 21, and now you say
    So if you started at age 7, and discovered Ace in 2017, that makes you 9, or maybe 10, depending on when your birthday is.

13. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    RPG Maker is perfect for kids because it's exactly what kids think making games is like.
    I've recommended it at least once and will always do so to anyone looking to break into game development,
    regardless if they're a kid or a decrepit wizard (the only two age groups.):kaopride:

Also, regarding the B story of this thread...
    Just let him be his age, whatever it is!
    Don't roast him over the coals over an innocent comment! :kaosalute:

14. Omige

Omige Villager Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    My first using RM was also at the age of 9.
    I knew it by playing an RM game and asking the game's author about how to make such a game.
    After that, I joined a forum like it here.
    It was a great joy to create projects, bring my imaginary worlds into reality, post them on the forum and socialize.

15. RedMage583

RedMage583 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I got into RPGMaker 2003 when i was like 8, have always loved it since! Trying to learn Javascript for MV tho is a struggle x-x

If I ever had a kid or younger relatives tho, I'm not sure if I'd get them into it as young as I did, its fun for kids yeah but I feel like now, especially with MV its a bit too much to get them into it, they'd get overwhelmed and make worse abominations that I made at that age

16. BlitzMalachite

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sadly I am 9. And I just like the way we to stuff on these forums.
    I typically don't know why in real life I say mature words like Diploma, Cancer, Zodiac, and much more like Phobia.

"Kids these days. They grow up then become very mature."

17. BlitzMalachite

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like socializing with other people.
    My grade? Grade 4 in Saudi for the First Term. And Canada for the Second Term.

My occupation is a student "Of course."

And... I've been using Technology for quite a long time. Now I'm addicted to it ;)

RPG maker pursues the inner child and lets them be creative, positive, and enjoyed by the heart. I've loved RPG maker ever since.

Roden124 likes this.
  18. BlitzMalachite

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aw :) Thanks for your nice words.

Roden124 likes this.