RMMV Killer Gin (STEAM Early Access), RPG with Voice acting and a Dating and farming mini-game!)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bgillisp

Ah, I didn't even know about the "X" calling up the menu lol. Well Killer Gin has full controller support, in the creation of the script, it may have disabled some of the keyboard keys. I thought the traditional buttons were "esc" or even right click. Of course, Killer Gin is still in development and I will have the script worked on, I will also add a cool controller graphic and ensure that all original MV key bindings work, especially things like "x" for menu in the next controller update.... thankfully if you choose to play with the keyboard only, all the necessary keys work (arrows, esc, enter and shift)

Of course, Killer Gin has a custom HUD, full controller support, and a custom particle weather system that produces rain, snow, fog, smoke, ember and pollen. When these effects are on, (plus god rays and flow-field updates) the game can be a bit demanding. I create the game on my mac and I always have 60 FPS, perhaps I overlooked the lower end system a lil. I will definitely work in optimizing the game to work for everyone.

Regardless, I was going to save the big optimization update closer to launch.... so yeah, this is actually a good time to see what can be done.

However what you described is a bit weird. The maps that are the most demanding are always the ones with the visible enemies that can see you. As their numbers decrease, the FPS goes up. Also, the world map is generally a very easy map, (no visible enemies), I always get a solid 60 fps even when weather (which can hit the FPS harder on any map) is on. However, yes, this will be addressed in the next optimization update. (I get slight frame hits when I am running the game from the editor, so I pay close attention to when this happens, however when played through STEAM or as a stand alone, I don't experience any frame drops)

Also, I am very curious, what are the specs of your gaming computer? It would help to know what kind of PC is needed to run the game well... and for future testing.

Yeah, I haven't updated the page here in a very long time, I also think its about time to have the Killer Gin page updated.

The game was at 0.9.9 but I reset it back to 0.6.3 because the game still needs lots of work... and I kinda ran outta numbers lol. I thought I was close to finishing.... nope! lol

Anyways, thanks for playing and thanks for taking the time to let me know the issues you have encountered. Its a great way for me to know and fix em right away. I aim to try to make KG the very best it can be and with your feedback, I can do it, one step at a time. Thanks again.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wonder if it is a PC vs MAC thing, and how it utilizes the engine and OpenGL. The gaming computer that hit 52 FPS at best, then dropped to 36 FPS and stayed there on the world map and all other maps (including ones I once got 52 FPS) is:

Intel Core i7 2.8 GhZ, 32 GB Memory, 1 TB HD, Nvida Geforce 1050, Windows 10. Settings were at medium in options.

I did ask someone else to play it on a 3.8 GhZ with 64 GB memory and they hit a little lag too, but didn't get specifics on what the FPS was. Also on a PC. So I think it is somewhat how PC is handling the code too.

As for what is going on with X for the menu not working, you have a plug-in for keyboard in your plug in directory (I checked, it is called KeyboardConfig.js, in your www directory), that is probably what disabled it. Maybe just a simple setting change would reenable it?

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@HawkZombie

Of course, why would I not? I love feedback, no matter the type.

Ah only an 1hr and 20 min? Seems like you would only get through the intro and to the village and perhaps just be getting started... thats if you didn't full explore the village or the intro.... The game is over easily 25+ hrs, it gets really epic in scale, the beginning is just to introduce you to characters, set up some relationships, but story wise, I would say nothing happened really, just the foundation.

1) Ah yes, I did have different artists work on different parts (I am no artist lol I suck), I was just about to have the battler artist update ALL of the battler art after the character pixel artist updated the walking sprites. I am still making the end part of the game, and these are the types of things I was going to go back on and polish up. I can see how you would think that, the character artist is already on the job making Shin and Gordo look much closer to the busts. Then the battler artist will receive all final looks (over 49 diff characters in the game) and get that done. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes its a bit hard to remember every facet of the game and prioritize its importance (I am basically a 1 man team.... I am killer Gin.... minus close friends that help when they can and the people I pay to do art and Voice acting). People sure do love to analyze graphics in detail lol. I got carried away with other duties, but it's about time to get that straighten out, thanks. Seems pretty important, even for an early access game, I am a bit old school, I usually prioritize game mechanics over art but you are right, its about time I update the art, would clean up the presentation and ensure people don't get caught up on its looks over the actual gameplay.

Yeah, I dont plan to use the busts all the time at all. Again the game is very long and the busts take up a lot of space. Also I think they are great when used in important scenes.... its a signal. ALSO I believe people would get sick of em if used all the time, and the RTP face graphics allow for MORE emotions and faces.... busts are not cheap. Ah, yes, I will also ensure that the RTP faces will be updated to better match the battlers and busts. Thanks.

2) Ah I see what you mean, and I am definitely sorry that the game made you feel uncomfy in any way. However when I wrote the story I had a very.... unique way of how I wanted to handle the narrator. Its actually part of the story that is revealed much later... so no spoilers lol.

With that said, the narrator is an omnipotent extension of what the current party is feeling. So with that in mind there is a HUGE story twist that makes it all make sense but its a bit far off but its planned to be one of those wow moments. A moment that people reflect and realize all the story connect points and it all comes together. Anyways, as the story continues and the characters grow from immature and naive to being more mature and worldly, the narrator, the omnipotent extension of their feelings, also matures and uses different words (aka no more fat shaming).

I may have a weird and crazy sense of humor but I have lots of plans, reveals, twists and tons of moments I just explained that is planned to be revealed in the future..... I got plans lol. There is a method to my madness. Anyways with that said, I apologize if you feel I was deliberately being mean and fat shaming because I am not, anyone who knows me, knows thats definitely NOT what I am doing..... I date a fat girl, I love it, and she knows the story, she helps craft the finer details, and she was..... let's say shocked and amused... by the accusation.

3) Kinda shock to me. Cool downs exist so that people cannot spam peoples weaknesses regardless if you know the weaknesses or not. You have to be more strategic and plan according for when skills are in their cool down. All these is new to me, never heard anyone say or feel this way about cooldowns. However its interesting.... When characters are in cooldown you can exploit other enemies weaknesses, use other skills on enemies (or attack other enemies) because they usually have multiple weaknesses, or use special abilities like party skills. Did you go through the skill learn system and learn some additional skills for each character (Nurock suggests this in the intro)? Using the time to use items, or even defend from time to time help immensely (yes even guard has strategic uses in the game). Each character has TONS of options so cool downs help players to think more strategically (build up secondary and more methods of attack and defense) and to build their character more thoughtfully, and choose party members wisely. I definitely did NOT want to be the type of game where you find 1 most powerful move and spam it. I just thought about it, since you played so little and perhaps didnt expand the skill, you felt very limited. Also not knowing about the usefulness of guarding or party skills, could make you feel limited.

4) Well that is definitely an opinion. Dunno what to say to that besides.... don't hear it often. Interesting considering most RPG maker games.... wouldn't say it's the best lol but way above average for sure. Well everyone has their preferences. Regardless I will keep it in mind as I finalize more and more scenes in the game.

5) Well Killer Gin has full controller support, in the creation of the script, it may have disabled some of the keyboard keys and functionality. Of course, Killer Gin is still in development and I will have the script worked on, I will also add a cool controller graphic and ensure that all original MV key bindings, etc. works.

Hey no prob, thanks for playing my game. I take everything seriously and I will work hard to make everyone happy, even my most picky critics. I would want to eliminate anything that they could try to criticize. Anyways, I appreciate it, I'll keep it in mind as I continue to develop Killer Gin.

For example, I already talked to my character sprite guy, he has already turned his attention to fixing the character sprites, and after when they are all checked and finalized, I will send the request to the battler graphic guy to fix everyone (Kiki is a mess lol)

I am also implementing a few new scenes to better illustrate the grown and dynamic of the character relationships, and of course, I will finalize more of the unique and subtle game play mechanics.

Change is already on the way! Thanks so much. Hope to hear from you again.

@bgillisp What really? Wow, that is really interesting....

I had a friend that was using a windows PC laptop, i5, 8 gig ram, work computer with no graphics card hit that frame rate 30-40, maybe 26 on super heavy maps lol. An i7 should be handling the game just fine. I have that, an I7 with 16 gig ram Mac (no special graphics card) and it handles the game beautifully, 60 frames solid all the time, minus crazy maps that have 15+ visible enemies, might sometimes drop to 50 frames but always picks back up..... as enemies die, menu closes, map changes... and it runs even better than this when not run through the editor.... world map is generally a very easy map.... again, with particle effects due to weather, all maps can get hit. (I will fix this in future update, make it less of a strain overall)

I have worked on a bunch of the heavier maps, event and animation wise, to get them to run better overall (this will be included in the next update). I will also have the HUD, Controller, and particle scripts worked on so everyone will experience better FPS (in a later update).... also gonna update the NWJS, see if that helps lol

I will run a few tests on low, medium, and high end PCs soon and I will get it better. Your PC sounds amazing and should easily be able to handle the game.

Also when the go in the menu and leave or switch maps the game should be working better, (I believe that is when a lot of the garbage is cleared) and generally game performance picks up when I do this.

Yeah, creating the Controller script, a bit of compatibility issues with that script popped up. This will be addressed and fixed.

Again, thanks very much for taking your time and alerting me of the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I merged your posts as we prefer that in one spot, just to give all threads a fair chance and not have it bumping too often.

I may give it a whirl when I get off work with no particle effects and see if I can pin down the lag some. I do want to dabble in homestead mode and give you some thoughts on that too while I got it installed.

BTW, I did get 60 FPS in the menu and all battles. IT was almost like when I hit the world map something went into memory and didn't leave. It might be something to look into. Maybe a picture that is still in memory? Or the hud? The hud might be some of it actually, those are resource intensive.

On another note, my work computer is an i7 with 2.3 GhZ, 12 GB memory windows 7, and it hit 26 FPS on the opening scene. But I didn't know how to get to options so it was on the default high. Plus it has a dead internal fan, so it slows down a lot to avoid overheating. I just use it as my can this game run on a potato test.

And finally, I do feel the narrator is a little too much as well in that one opening scene with Gordo. Maybe cut it to say one reference instead of four? That might help a LOT and keep your planned plot twist too. And since it would just be deleting a couple lines you wouldn't need to redo the VA either. Anywho just a thought that may help out there. As it is, my concern is I see 0 reason for him to join the party ever, and many reasons for him to tell her what lake to go jump in if she asks him to join.

Though...here is a thought, though not sure you can add it...since you want it to be about choices, why not let the player choose how she responds to him in the intro? And behind the council hall? Then the player could be nice or mean or whichever. Not sure that is doable at this point in development, but wanted to spitball that out.

Hope that makes sense, it's late in my time zone. I may edit and add more tomorrow when I get off work after playing the other mode.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Merging posts etc.... Sorry I am not familiar with the forum Etiquette or how to do stuff like that lol.

Is hitting reply good? (its what i did)

Sounds good to me. Let me know how it works out for ya.

Ah yes, Homestead, Killer Gins little mini-game, sure, give it a whirl. I would love to hear what you think. Its far less developed than the main RPG but it has some stuff you can do lol. Getting impressions, ideas and thoughts never hurt. I do have plans to add mechanics and polish there but they are a bit on the back burner, the main rpg comes first..... but I will get to it and I keep track of all ideas and suggestions.

Yeah, initially getting all these scripts working was... a process and now the next step would be to start optimizing it and making sure nothing is goin on, especially with memory. I am definitely aiming to lower the point of entry so more people can enjoy the game.

Ah.... Is your monitor above 60 hertz? If so enabling the monitor sync would help.

I hear ya. Actually, secretly between me and you lol, Gordo is a lot better than he appears. He is initially a pain in the ass, he has some interesting quirks (that can be ironed out lol more game secrets), but he is designed to be very good if used in certain ways.... start with the run and hide skill... key to his awesomeness.... and the Party skills he acquires (people can gain or lose party skills based on moral) are super good.

More scenes are planned to better flesh out their relationship (shinata and gordo) and I believe it will help immensely. OMG choosing how she reacts, is exactly planned in the next update.... (the date, remember?!), not in the game yet, should be ready by next update. Awesome idea though, keep it coming.

Awesome to hear, thanks, looking forward to it.

Yumasaki

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
I wonder if it is a PC vs MAC thing, and how it utilizes the engine and OpenGL. The gaming computer that hit 52 FPS at best, then dropped to 36 FPS and stayed there on the world map and all other maps (including ones I once got 52 FPS) is:

Intel Core i7 2.8 GhZ, 32 GB Memory, 1 TB HD, Nvida Geforce 1050, Windows 10. Settings were at medium in options.

I did ask someone else to play it on a 3.8 GhZ with 64 GB memory and they hit a little lag too, but didn't get specifics on what the FPS was. Also on a PC. So I think it is somewhat how PC is handling the code too.

As for what is going on with X for the menu not working, you have a plug-in for keyboard in your plug in directory (I checked, it is called KeyboardConfig.js, in your www directory), that is probably what disabled it. Maybe just a simple setting change would reenable it?

Hello, I'm the one @bgillisp was talking about. My system contains an I9-9900k 3.60GHz, 64GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080TI, and a variable refresh ultra-wide monitor; For your game's menu scenes and battles I stayed consistently at or above 60FPS and surprisingly some maps as well, whereas once I got to maps with excess parallel processes and excessive map bloat (lighting, particles, etc) I dropped down to a as low as 30FPS and then would gradually pick back up to and stay at consistently 40FPS until I refreshed the game, this was most notable when I would leave an area/map to the world map. Another note that I would like to add is that I noticed my graphics card (which is a beefy top of the line card currently) was hitting 40-60 utilization at points which is odd, as most RM Games shouldn't push a card like that to those limits. And I noticed that when I would leave for a minute and come back that the resource usage would increase over a steady period as if the game wasn't properly clearing it's cache. And as seeing you have a Mac (Ew, Apple), I would highly recommend using either 1) A VM software to emulate a Windows PC or 2) Purchasing a low end Windows PC for testing and optimization as there are different known errors for each OS type environment (I mainly use Linux and Windows), and this could help you understand where your issues are coming from. Other than that, this is all I have to offer at the moment.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey @Yumasaki

Hey, nice to hear from you.

At most, each map has 1 parallel process (except the infinite dungeon, 1 more kicks on to control spikes). That is the one that calculates time spent while you move.... the calculation only occurs every 2-3 seconds (time calculation does many things).

That is very interesting because a PC work laptop I5, 8 gig, windows 10, with no graphics card can attain 30 frames.

My mac, i7, 16 gig, no dedicated graphics card, can hit a solid 60 everywhere, except super heavy maps with 15+ enemies (it might dip to low 50 FPS, maybe), however, as battles occur and the numbers drop, the frame goes back to 60.

Menu exits, map exits, and battle exits, always seem to clear memory and help the FPS, and the world map is never a problem at all, just the very heavy maps with lots of visible enemies (hits do occur because of the particle system, if on).

When the scripts were created, they were created initially to get them working..... and I guess I may have taken my work comp for granted and turned a blind eye to the lower end systems. I always planned to come back to optimize and now the time has certainly come.

Killer Gin has a custom HUD, Light (god rays, the other light script is terrax), and weather system (particle system) that produces rain, snow, fog, smoke, pollen, and embers.

Well regardless, thanks for the info, this weekend, I will have all the scripts optimized, as well as the engine itself... it will be optimization weekend!!! Which will work perfectly because KG should debut on STEAM right after.

Thanks for taking the time to check the game and let me know. I will ensure the game works as efficiently as possible for low end systems and even super awesome PCs like yours because there should be no problem at all.

OOOO If you could, I would love for you to test the Linux version of KG when it becomes available..... if you could, would be nice to hear feedback on that version..... I do not have Linux.

Thanks very much for your feedback, it has helped immensely, I appreciate it.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow, not bad

overall i like your project concept, so lets play your demo :D

anyway good luck for you on steam ;)
wow, been sooo long!!!!

Yes, STEAM soon..... at the end of 2019 lol. I took my time to make sure it was ready.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Killer Gin is NOW on STEAM Early Access!!
(Demo available on STEAM very soon!)

STEAM Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164480/Killer_Gin/

You can play the Mac version on Itch.io

Itch.io Link: https://thekillergin.itch.io/killer-gin

Killer Gin STEAM V1 (0.6.4) (12/09/19) 

- Added Collectibles to the game! (Art and VA cards)
- Added Fortune Teller Mechanic (Daily Luck, lottery)
- Updated game credits
- Added more secrets and Easter Eggs
- New skills (detect digging sites) and items
- Minor Optimization updates (Large one soon!)
- and much more!!!!

Regards,
Freddie

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Killer Gin has been Updated on STEAM!

Killer Gin STEAM V2 (0.6.6) (12/23/19)

• Invasion Scene Now Voice Acted (V1)
  • Updated Title Screen
  • Fixed Visual settings in Option Menu
  • Added Lottery Item Description for prizes
  • Fixed some skills/Updated Char builds
  • Updated items
  • and much more!

Regards,
Freddie

Next: STEAM DLC Packages!

(Early Access and Kickstarter)

STEAM Link:
#killergin #Indiegame #rpg #voiceacting #steam

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
And just like that Killer Gin has STEAM DLC!!!
Killer Gin Updated!

Killer Gin STEAM V6 (0.7.2) (1/19/20)

• Killer Gin EARLY ACCESS DLC Created and available!
  • Can now disable hunger, sleep, and thirst for difficulties Torment 1 and under
  • Created an option to remove Gore from game.
  • Passion Token created (DLC item)
  • Infinity Remembrance Token created (DLC item)
  • Moon Token created (DLC item)
  • Storm Token created (DLC item)
  • Sunny Token created (DLC item)
  • Now you must earn Story SS STEAM Achievement rank (bug patched)
  • and More!!!

RoooodWorks

Devil King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I did a video for the first 30 mins, But I felt most the stuff included so far was a bloat. The sneaking part at the intro that section can just be removed as so far added nothing to the main game other than introduce these two characters and then removed them. There was also a little bit of lag during the sneaking section too.
There was also the flame holder that was meant for a wall, that was on boxes and tables and looked really wrong.

I cannot at it's current state recommend this game at all. There is also fat shaming within the first few seconds of introducing Gordo both from the narrator and the main character herself (and i found the attitude of the main character towards Gordo very annoying and made me really hate her).

You can watch my Impression of the game in the video I linked. :)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
1) Sneaking, visual enemies, light, etc. are a CORE component of the game. If it's not your cup of tea, that is fine.

2) Recording software can put a heavy strain on most CPUs. KG is a bit heavier than your average RPG for sure but the game can run 60 frames on capable comps no prob.

3) The candle holder? The candle holder is just that.... something people can hold candles with and walk around. They can place the candle holder on a table or a box.... its not a mistake...

4) I even included a disclaimer in the game log and in the STEAM page stating this are characters that are young, immature, and naive in the game. They grow up and mature as the game progresses. You didn't play even 5 min beyond the intro.... if you had, perhaps you would see this happen in the 30+ hr game.

But anyways thought I would address your feedback point for point. ;0)

Thanks for the feedback.

RoooodWorks

Devil King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I will continue to play it. I won't stop there, I know I haven't scratched the service for the playthrough. Just saying what I found so far.

I get that the Candle holder can be used for tables and stuff I just thought it looked weird the way it was.

I know there is a disclaimer for that kind of stuff I just thought it is a bit excessive that u put so much abuse on this poor Gordo, I know he is sexually harassing the main character but it doesn't mean she should continually bully the poor guy.

I have an excellent pc and get 60fps on many games AAA games, just for this game that one section i got a small lag drop then it went fine.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
KG is a massive game and there is sooooo much to discover and enjoy. (Please check your messages for the answers to your questions)

Believe me, I love GORDO! He is awesome.... but its a story and people grow and learn and change as time goes on.

Yes, unfortunately MV is not the most optimized and it can strain comps more than AAA titles..... that is well know to rpg maker MV and we all have to deal with it.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback and enjoy.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Killer Gin Updated!

Killer Gin STEAM V8 (0.7.4) (2/01/20)

- Added secret Kickstarter items into game.
- Added option to censor foul language! (even voice overs!)
- Added option to censor gore!
- Added Options to disable hunger, sleep, injuries, and thirst!
 (Low difficulties only!)
- Started adding hand drawn art into story!
- Made intro easier for lower difficulties!
- Fixed the naming script (name your animals!)
- Added more secrets and easter eggs
- and much more!

Enjoy!
~Freddie

#killergin #Indiegame #rpg #voiceacting #steam #manga #anime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My kitty still young (3-4 months), I think I could teach her some funny tricks... like: "Play dead-ly good music for my games"
Here's a quality DPS class idea: The Beekeeper, who uses the "Bees!!" skill to attack and poison enemies.
Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.
What if I took a lesson from Half Minute Hero? Let the player get dumb powerful each area, but reset them down to just slightly stronger than before for the next map?
Been averaging 2-3 hours sleep for almost a month now. Starting to space out all the time ^^;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendechuu