Kingdom - The Clans

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Clord, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

[​IMG]
    Disclaimer: All the custom graphics apart from the stock RTP and the character portraits are provided and made by Seraphim Creations. We own all the required rights to use them for the various game projects, commercial or not.

Please note that every bust will be custom made to have a quality like this.

[​IMG]

Game also will have custom charsets and tileset stuff.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Demo with a placeholder charsets and busts (7/10/2013). http://www.mediafire.com/download/k6v64lc8dmi23ea/Kingdom_The_Clans_Placeholder_Demo.exe]http://www.mediafire.com/download/k6v64lc8dmi23ea/Kingdom_The_Clans_Placeholder_Demo.exe]http://www.mediafire.com/download/k6v64lc8dmi23ea/Kingdom_The_Clans_Placeholder_Demo.exe

Codex
    Clan Members
    Clan members often get contracted by the king or other people for a right price. It can range from simple delivery quests to waging a war. When not dealing with other clan members, their position is that of just below the king which makes most relatively still new clan members rather arrogant at times.

Clan Collar
    Clan members wear their respective clans collars as a proof they belong to their clans. Clan collars are magically sealed to prevent spies and defections.

Spell Pistol
    Magic users can use these things to amplify their magic further. These things were popularized by Technomages who likes to mix technology with a magic. However places a tremendous strain to its wielder if overused, thus most Magic users who likes to use these things need their mana replenished way more often.

King Steve
    A once fair king who ruled well then suddenly a few decades ago became very stinky and villagers who had so much expenses did need to resort to shady deals due higher taxes imposed by the king.

King Steve's Army
    His army is entrusted to the royal guard. While it is their duty to protect villagers and more, their main duty is to ensure that the clans stay under control.

The Royal Guard
    Led by the king’s son called Prince Steven who is often confused with the king due the similar name. The royal guard's main duty is protect the current king and command his armies. These guys are extremely loyal for their king and one of main reasons he is still ruling despite of past decades of heavy mismanagement.

Heresy
    Those who are immortal are referred simply as heretics. It is power bestowed by the demons and thus forbidden. However most would be heretics try to hide the fact.
    Screenshots (From old versions)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What it is?

Kingdom The Clans is first installment in “The Clans” series. It tells story about foolish Okami Hyou, her best friend Kitsune, a bit pyromaniac Mahou and a bookworm Butsu.

Prologue

On a distant land, far far away...

Okami Hyou decided it would be ideal for her to make contract with the king, to bring her an old artifact which has been rumored to hold an untold power. But deadline was vastly approaching and the king was growing impatient by every passing moment. Then she with Kitsune and Mahou decided that it would be good idea to hire legendary thief called Ghostly Winds. It was rumored that he or she was residing in the nearby INN, which happened to be only INN in the village.

Okami and others entered to that INN and saw a hooded albeit bit short figurine cloaked in a shadows. Okami approached Ghostly Winds and bluntly stated her request to find said artifact even if he or she would need to steal it for them. Ghostly Winds agreed upon and a next day artifact was on their hideout’s doorsteps along with a letter “Better pay as promised or vampires will get you Okami.”

And so foolish Okami forgot to pay and next day they started to deliver the artifact for King Steve. However little did they knew that so called Ghostly Winds was just an impostor who planned to kill them to hide his or her tracks and take the artifact back afterwards.

Ghostly Winds impostor was furious and came up with a new devilish plan. He or she went back to Vampstle Castle and placed a note inside of the same chest where artifact was stolen from. That note would make castle’s owner called Deaux Excimus rather furious and go after Okami and her party.

Characters

Okami Hyou
    [​IMG]

Chi Tsugi clan was not fond of her greedy nature and decided to put her charge of the group of
    consisting members from a two other dominant clans so she would see the world and maybe learn to become less greedy.
    Her companion consist of a long time friends from the two other clans.

- Shiny Stuff.
    - Making a quick buck.

Dislikes
    - Deal Breakers.
    Mahou
    [​IMG]

Yami Tsugi clan has had a long tradition to fight various beasts to obtain an even more power. Yet they
    still understand the value of being in the alliance. However Mahou would probably backstab her party if it were means to obtaining
    an ultimate power, not that such thing even exists in Krateria.

- Magical stuff.

Dislikes
    - Ghosts.
    - Undead.
    - Murky places.
    Kitsune
    [​IMG]

Rai Tsugi clan consists some of the best martial artists in Krateria. Kitsune was send off to hone
    her skills and someday to challenge her old master. Also she wonders reason of this task, as slaughering countless monsters
    is honing her skills well. Basically she doesn't understand her old master's methods very well.

- Being a sarcsatic.
    - Making fun of Okami Hyou.

Dislikes
    - Fools.
    - Chocolate.
    - Guys with the god complex.
    Vampire Lord
    [​IMG]
    Often takes someone as her nemesis because of wrong reasons which she deludes itself to be right ones. Most of her minions don’t get a second chance if they fail and thus her “trusted” Vampires often hide their failures from her. Should someone admit their mistakes she sees as a weakness and then she uses Dark Edge on them. On that note, it is her favorite sword too.
    Features!

Synthesize your items from a crafting materials you can obtain from defeating a various enemies.
    Good battle system.
    A day and Night Cycles.
    A more realistic lightning.
    Fill-in narration.

Credits

Storyline, Eventing, Mapping, etc - Clord.

Early Beta Testing done by Blood-Fury.
    Tilesets and additional work by Seraphim Creations (Lato).
    Music by Jonnie19.

This game uses the following scripts.

Yanfly Engine Ace - Enemy Levels v1.02
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Battle Engine v1.22
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Shop Options v1.01
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Battle Engine Add-On: Enemy HP Bars v1.10
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Enemy Target Info v1.02
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Skill Cost Manager v1.02
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Equip Engine v1.06
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Status Menu v1.01
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Menu Engine v1.07
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Item Menu v1.02
    Yanfly Engine Ace - System Options v1.00
    Yanfly Engine Ace - Command Window Icons v1.00
    GO GO TOTORI! by Kread-EX
    CSCA Encyclopedia by Casper667
    CSCA Menu Organizer by Casper667
    NeoFace System v.2.0 [RMVXA Script] by Woratana
    Basic Game Time + Night/Day
    Scene Themes + Direct Message Window Skin Specification (Message Skins) by Aarowaim
    [ACE] Khas Awesome Light Effects by Khas Arcthunder
    Multiple Inventories by Fomar0153

Thanks to Erangot for Character Machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Clareain_Christopher

Clareain_Christopher C_C Media Ninja Veteran

This looks pretty cool, though the first screen shot could use some tweaking.

Happy creatin'!

3. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

It is not your conventional RPG game experience. There is no strong male main character wielding a sword longer than own length. In fact game has been foremost designed how I enjoy my RPG gaming experience a more. There is no heroes who by no logic saves the world without saying a word or voicing their opinions (First Final Fantasy and a games like that). In fact their motives lies elsewhere and they are not even called "Heroes" but as an "Adventurers" in-game.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  4. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    Hum, it looks interesting enough.

Gonna give it a try later I suppose.

5. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    why do all your characters wear animal collars

crimcrim likes this.
  6. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

It is on canon. It identifies the clans they belong to. Each clan in that world proves who they are by wearing them. Impostors would be in a real trouble if spotted.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Its so adorable :3 I'll go try it out.

8. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Thoughts while playing:

1. Tried meet the villain. The picture of the girl gets stuck while the battle commences.

2. Interesting enough introduction to the story. Should you be able to read the book in the house?

3. Hehe, thief trying to get into the house.

4. Not sure if the music fits to the dark forest. It sounds a bit too cheery.

5. I like the battle that ensues when checking the well.

6. Battle screen looks neat enough.

7. There's a door in the inn that's not working. Maybe it is locked.

8. The second writing screen have an error in it: "Towards," not "towars"

9. Talking to the king, it is written "alright" I think. Also, "trly" is said.

10. When the text appears, it is hard to read as it is white, while the kings castle is mostly gray background.

11. Rat battle in the castle dungeon. Nice enough.

12. Are you supposed to talk to the guy in the dungeon? He`s not responing.

13. I like the music in the castle. It fits.

14. Gary seems nice enough.

15. Butsu joins the party rather easily. I guess they got low standards.

16. A small writing error when you cross the bridge to the south. Should be "to" instead of "do."

17. Interesting that you get to play as the villain. Is the book a Death Note joke?

18. I like that you have to fight against our own followers as a villain.

19. Once again, white text is hard to read on gray background

20. Back to the main characters, funny how they spent all night standing on that bridge.

21. Entering the tomb, still the happy music. Doesn't feel right.

22. Not much there, but interesting enough. Worth the walk considering that you get something out of it.

23. I am not sure what the issue on the bridge was about.

24. Yay, sidequest. I like that you get some effect when you hit the rock.

25. In cave of frost, when you enter there is a rock that look strange.

26. I like the look of the cave of Frost. Not sure what all those frozen puppets do in the cave though.

27. I like that "weakpoint" appears when you manage to hit the behemoths weak point.

28. Visiting Gary after defeated behemoth. Should probably be "Sucks to be you" instead of "Suck to be you." I am not sure why Gary wants to attack them though. He could have just paid them more and they`d probably serve him instead.

29. When in the maze of spirits, you come across a sign which makes Butsu say: "My Archeology skills become useful in an unexpected places." It should either be : "useful in unexpected places" or "useful in an expected place."

30. When walking southward over the bridge, you misspelled branch.

31. Sometimes it feels like I barely walk a couple of steps before I get into another battle. The lake labyrinth feels like a real grind.

32. Considering that I have walked into the forest several times, I am wondering if perhaps it would be better to have the text only show once.

33. Nice lake guardian boss.

34. Once again, you should take a look at the text that appears.

35. To be fair, I think the party has a good balance between the heavy hitter Kitsune, Mahou mage, adaptable warrior Okami. I am not really sure how useful the bookworm is, but she makes good use as a distraction. Though from her skills, I suppose she is supposed to be a mage killer.

36. Interesting design on the tower dungeon. As for the tower inhabitants, I am guessing they were hit by some sort of undead plague.

37. Gary at the top of the tower says "congrulations" should be "congratulations." Kitsune says "strik a deal",

38. Everyone in my party was around level 26 when I tried the boss. It was just hard enough, considering that I ended up with all my Okami and Kitsune left. Especially the Darkness part was a killer of my weaker characters.

39. Entering the undead forest. Check the text for misspelling. "adveturers".

40. You may want to recheck the text when you enter the mansion.

41. The door opens, but there is no black hole behind it.

42. Do something about the creeper battler. It constantly casts paralyze. Could be me having bad luck though.

43. Dark Priest is quite generous with the paralyze and confuse spells. The flame he casts is really deadly when all party members are paralyzed.
    Summary: I liked it, though it felt really grindy. Monsters rarely dropped anything, so I didn't try out the recipe thingy. It probably could have used some better explanation as well.

I find the vampire lord interesting, though I am not is she knows who Okami is. If Okami is the one who stole the stuff or if she is getting framed is still open for interpretation.

The characters all have their moments to show off their personality, and they are amusing. It is rather balanced with Kitsune, Okami and the mage, but Butsu feels a bit tagged on as I rarely use her abilities usefully.

The monsters: Most of them have an elemental weakness, which leaves to a bit of experimentation at first, and easier to deal with as one progress afterwards. The monsters never feel too easy or too overpowering, though I do carry with me a lot of potions. (Perhaps the money would have been better spent on equipment.)

Scenery: Feels fitting enough. Nothing that is bothering me at least.

NPCs: Even though it is a short game so far, it feels like you should have some more NPCs walking around. It would help with the feel of a world that is alive.

Well, that is all I have for now.

Story: It feels quite linear as you have to beat one place to go to the next. I am not sure why the characters need the money though. We're not really given an explanation for why they go around looking for treasure. Maybe they need new bed sheets and furniture?

Des likes this.
  9. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

And Credits section just keeps expanding. dayum that is a throughtful analysis. :)

Also it seems like you noticed Death Note reference and on that "note".
    Shinigami is in that version you play currently the latest boss monster, However unlike in the Death Note, you can revive those he kills.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  10. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Hopefully you find the comment useful.

11. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Yeah, you will eventually appear to credits too. It was that helpful. :)

12. alwaysivy

alwaysivy Ivy Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello.

I enjoyed your demo. But, there are somethings that bother me. They are just little things, so I will only tell you the thing that most bothers me. Your maps are a bit too empty. To remedy this either make the maps smaller or add more decoration.

It will help a lot.

=)

Reynard Frost likes this.
  13. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

It was a design decision. When you progress in the game, encounters become rarer but battles become tougher. Also it feels less claustrophobic design choice.

Areas before ruined tower, encounter rates generally are 15, then when it starts to pick up difficulty, it is generally 30.

And if you want the game where a lot areas feel truly "empty" as you say.

http://games.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Cthulhu-Saves-the-World-Hey-There-Cthulhu-Launch-Video-Screenshot-81022.html

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
  14. Jaide

Jaide "This guy are sick." Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't feel like linking to a different game and saying its maps are more empty than yours is very good form. Your maps aren't bad, and no one is saying they're bad, but you would do well to consider someone's advice and figure out how to perfect your maps instead of simply saying they're a design decision. :) You can make them less barren while still keeping the overall design you're going for.

15. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Well my excuse is the fact that I have a Ear Infection. It hurts like hell during the past few days.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  16. Keiang

Keiang Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, I guess the only way to tackle what I've seen is one step at a time.

I'm pretty sure it should be just "common sense." Since "a common sense" seems to imply it's a singular entity.

Some completely out of context quotes really doesn't show off much. It would've been nice to see some screenshots of the "Battle system which does not look dull" or something.

These shots make note of the fact you're using a face generator. I guess this is the default one? I haven't played around with it, and now I don't really want to. Everyone has an extreme case of sameface - even if you change their colors, hair, and accessories, they all have the same underlying face. Although it could be worse I suppose, I mean I've only seen girls thus far. Maybe you just used the same face model for girl-

Okay, so the male vampire lord looks like a little girl. And, in addition to that, a Sephiroth ripoff. I have no idea if the face creator has only this one underlying face, or if you just didn't want to put forth the effort to change it, but it feels like laziness on someone's part.

Also, this:

I know you have a reason for this, but there are ways to do it that seem less... fetish-y. You could have members of a clan share the same color motif or something, especially since you're almost already there with your main characters, aside from Kitsune.

Here, we have an example of telling, rather than showing, which is a big no-no in storytelling. Especially in an interactive medium like video games. Assuming it's the same text, it's fairly small for a text crawl, but at the very least you could've made it so that it was the characters themselves talking about their situation and thereby demonstrating their personalities. Also, speaking of the characters...

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but naming them all in Japanese, especially the way you did, makes you seem like a weaboo.

Okami Hyou, which is basically Great God Ice. I can't help but think you took Okami from the Capcom video game and thought it sounded nice, since it would be utterly meaningless here. Okami, as far as I can tell, is neither a god, or the alternate meaning of wolf, if it had been written as . Additionally, it looks like you used google translate instead of the actual characters, since you wrote her name as 女将, which means landlady or mistress, instead of the proper spelling of 大神. Her last name, 氷, is also more typically read as Kōri. Hyou or Hyō is usually written as 雹, which means hail. That part's more semantics, but still.

Mahou the Mage literally just means "Magic the Mage." This is about as creative as "Draco the Dragon."

Kitsune just means Fox. It only specifically refers to the folklore aspect when English people use the word. Given her apparent character background, this really doesn't make much sense. If you want to actually incorporate aspects of folklore into your game, I would recommend reading up on their characteristics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

Additionally, none of these are really Japanese names. They're just japanese words. I would go to http://www.behindthename.com/ and look up some actual Japanese girl names, because these make about as much sense as naming your daughter "Great God Ice" or "Magic." If you want to give them a meaning beyond that, save it for their surname. For example, Okami Hyou could be renamed Mitsuko (Light Child) Kaitou (Phantom Thief). Naming her after light would reference the fact she's fighting a vampire, and calling her a phantom thief is actually relevant.

Beyond their names, I spot a number of other issues, at least with your description. For starters, they all seem to have a one track personality. Okami is greedy, Mahou is magical, and Kitsune is snarky. There really doesn't seem to be much depth regarding the characters. If, for example, Okami had an actual reason to be greedy, that might be interesting. For example, she could be trying to pay off a debt, or maybe she came from a poor family and values financial security or something.

Beyond characters, gameplay itself is alright. However, it feels more like a result of good script choice (namely Yanfly's stuff), than anything creative on your end.

In regards to Ivy's map criticism, she's right. And to be frank, your response was terrible. Firstly, calling it a design decision is quite frankly idiotic. That's like saying "my art is supposed to look bad." Secondly, the rationale behind it is flawed. If encounters are rarer, then that means the map feels even emptier than it is. Unless you're trying to convey a feeling of isolation, all you're going to do is bore the player. Thirdly, taking a pot shot at Cthulhu Saves the World is irrelevant. Just because someone more successful did it doesn't mean that you should. Their game does have that issue, but I don't see why you would bring that up when we're talking about yours.

Finally, having an ear infection isn't an excuse. It's just a bad attempt to sidestep legitimate criticism while garnering pity.

vociferocity, Jaide, Des and 2 others like this.
  17. crimcrim

crimcrim :d Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm gonna go ahead and add this.

When people give you critique don't make up excuses or cite different games as an example to show that what you're doing is okay. The whole reason for the project development is to showcase your game and get critique so it gets better. You're ignoring good advice because you think you know everything.

Sorry if this is coming off harsh, but you brushed off the people who were nice to you about it, so consider this an alternative.

Also seriously fix the Japanese names. I can tell you used google translate from the God awful use of Kanji. If your game doesn't take place in Japan, and the characters aren't Japanese don't name them Japanese names. Like Christ dude that's pretty much bordering pathetic weeaboo (and not the good kind).

Take the advice you get and make your game better. You aren't the best developer on here. At all. When you get critique you get it for a reason. Because a concept or an idea sucks. So work on that concept or idea so other people will play your game.

also lol ear infection. 10/10

Espon, Keiang, vociferocity and 2 others like this.
  18. Jaide

Jaide "This guy are sick." Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Keiang It's not the face generator in Ace, but your points still stand. Just wanted to clarify it's a different generator.

19. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    cthulhu saves the world (even though i think it looks like a really shitty game) actually makes use of original graphics that they created specifically for the game. if their maps are empty, it's because it takes a lot of man-hours to create the objects that would fill them.

you don't have such an excuse. you're working with graphics that are already made for you to use.

also, as for the japanese names!

i would argue that you should keep them the way they are! sure they are horrible and make no sense, but isn't that the point? what's the fun of being a weaboo if you have to actually think? just use more japanese-sounding words and random japanese characters. nobody care anyway—it's ANIME! and that's what matters.

20. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

I have removed the last two posts because they were very much off-topic. I don't mind you guys discussing anime or whatever, but it's just not right to hijack someone's project thread to do so. Perhaps you can discuss it in General instead. Thank you!