RMVXA Kitty Pride

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Umbreon, May 7, 2019.

1. Umbreon

Umbreon Furry Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Kitty Pride is a game in French. Which I would translate into English when the time comes to release a demo. I have edited non-gif screenshots to put english text below.

[​IMG]
    Let's discover together how hosed up. a cat's mind can be.​

This is Gatto the cat

[​IMG]

Gatto has weird dreams at night

[​IMG]

Ok ?

Now we have Mai the bunny.

[​IMG]

Mai has dreams in which Gatto who has weird dreams appears.

[​IMG]

WTF is happening, Gatto and Mai? What is the meaning of all this? I trusted you! I trusted you so much!

[​IMG]

Gatto, don't tell me we're going to be brought by a series of improbable circumstances to meet personified fragments of your personality that come straight from your dreams and make a mess the real world!?

[​IMG]

Oh, nice.

What does Mai have to do with it? Why there are so many characters in the character section below if there are only these two essentials.
    Let's see what this is all about.

[​IMG]

Gatto Levigato the magicat
    [​IMG]
    24-year-old male cat, who is treated like a child and goes to school with the children. He is always in the stars with his smile, his semi-closed eyes, his hands on his back and his habit of not answering when called. Drake is the only one he's really talking to. And he sometimes treats him like his father. Sometimes just as a very close relative.
    He has the power to invoke stars, all right.

Mai Coccolo the bunny
    [​IMG]
    Cuddly 12-year-old rabbit. Typically the kind of person who comments like "I understand how you feel" by tapping the back even when it's not the case. And who says things he doesn't have the intelligence to understand, precisely because he's a child.
    He is also very curious and is often the first to discover problems before they reach his entourage.

Drake Biggs the fox
    [​IMG]
    Gentle fox (nicknamed foxoo by Gatto) of 31 years old who is only love and tolerance, who gives absolutely ALL to Mai and Gatto, and who advises others on their personal problems most of the time.
    He does not like violence and will first try all possible peaceful approaches, but as a true strategist. Plus his eyes are fluorescent, so cool, buy it.

Bakura Fragola the beaten child
    [​IMG]
    14-year-old bat beaten by her father and very VERY emotionally fragile. She tends to always refuse the help offered and hates to involve others in her problems, apparently, but secretly wants someone to help her. She often has sad reflexes to see, like protecting herself with her arms or wings when someone approaches her a little too quickly. Or apologize all the time. So much so that those around her think that she is exaggerating, while it is visceral, that she is unable to help herself.

Magus Marthym the jackrabbit
    [​IMG]
    A 26-year-old misanthropic angry hare who takes to heart to show contempt and hatred to people he considers dangerous (such as pedophiles, thieves), and hates above all those who justify their actions, claiming that their arguments are stupid and inadmissible every time. His virulence makes him a very lonely person in the end.

[​IMG]

No levels in Kitty Pride. The exp increases the "power", and the stats are proportional to the power. The hiss is that the more exp you have, the slower the power increases.

Battle system
    The battle system is a card game, each time it is your turn, you draw a card (which corresponds to a skill) and you can either play two cards per turn or regenerate your MPs. For items, it is unlimited when you want, but the inventory is limited in size according to the weight of your character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This translates into:
    • Equipment that allows you to draw several cards per turn.
    • Bosses that consider the gameplay of cards, like an enemy who travels through time and forces us to keep only 5 cards from our deck to defeat him.
    • Skills that cost some cards to throw. For example, an instant death spell requires more or less cards in the cemetery, depending on whether the enemy is in good shape and which enemy it is. Instead of the traditional "You have a 10% chance of success and it doesn't work on boss"
      • All playable characters have jokers under their title (rabbit joker, fox joker) that allows them to launch their ultimate skill.
    • Some stores have limited cards, others do not. > Strategy for future battles (some merchants are only accessible before bosses)
    • MP that move fast because the skills cost a lot and it's easy to regenerate them.
    • "Automatic" cards that act directly at the beginning of the fight or under certain conditions if we have them in our collection and then disappear. As well as combinations of these cards for more powerful effects.
    • Skills made for strategy. Gatto' purring heals his own HP to all the characters. Space automatically kills an enemy after 10 turns if the launcher has all his HP with -1 turn for every 10% of HP below the maximum. Destruction increases the opponent's sensitivity to absolutely all attacks but only works on certain enemies. Imploring epitaph does more or less damage depending on the lost HP and heals in addition, Trample is executed once more for every 20 weight points higher than the opponent. And others.

My goal is that each boss or unusual enemy poses unique problems but that the player knows how to create a real strategy very quickly, and is never frustrated to try again. I want the player to have the feeling of thwarting one by one all the traps that the bosses set for him and to refine his strategy at each defeat without farming being boring if he doesn't succeed, which takes the form of big differences of exp between zones and not very long fights, and enemies have patterns of movements on the maps and don't follow you if they see you, so you have the hability to face them if you want.

[​IMG]
    Well, it is possible that some enemies may exceptionally follow you if they see you.

Other gameplay elements besides fighting:

• Enemies leave cards that can be used to summon them to fight them. (Not implemented)
    • I want side quests that provide something useful. I assume that a player does not do quests spontaneously because they are there and you have to do them. So I include side scenes that contribute to the main story and take time to do to reach an end, and can eventually lead to something other than exp and objects. (some written, none implemented)
    • The equipment does not increase the stats but the rate of damage inflicted and received, and it is multiplicative. If you put two pieces of equipment that divide the damage in half, the damage is effectively divided twice, there is no +100% defense +100% defense = 200% defense. We're more like 20%+20%=44%. When they play a rpg, the players race for power, it's nice to think that we're going to kick it all in with a direct boost, in this perspective, increasing rates faster and faster, work. (Implemented)
    • No loot in Kitty Pride, you steal the items you want from the enemy. It allows the player not to forget his loots, like in many rpg where you earn items without knowing what they do. If an enemy has a 2% chance of loot an item, there is no need to do 50 fights. (Implemented)
    • Possibly a system slightly similar to the FFX sphere to drastically increase the stats in addition to the natural increase due to the exp. Still from this perspective, I believe that drastic increases please the player. In this "sphere grid", we are led to spend exp, therefore reduce the power of our character to obtain additional techniques or definitive improvements. But in addition to exp, many techniques or improvements require specific conditions to be met and are cumulative. In concrete terms, it works as follows: You pay a certain amount of exp in a spot that allows you to unlock conditions to be fulfilled to win the bonus (more or less accessible bonuses depending on the amount of exp). But everything is very assisted from the player's point of view, if the condition is to defeat an enemy a certain number of times, the game tells the player where to find it. I want that if the player is brought to grinding, he doesn't get bored at just grinding. Plus. When you have completed a spot (so filled all its requests) the spot gives you back what you paid for at the base. (Not implemented at all, just ideas)
    It would look like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a list of the OST as it will be in the first demo.
    As I write this thread there are 12 of compounds on 27.
    I prefer the format a lot of short music to a few long music that can be found in many rpg, it allows more flexibility for the emotions transmitted to the player.

[​IMG]

Go listen to it:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PkgRID2bPMr4VUu-YIwN4yLoFmPf9aUh

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    SolonWise, Hyouryuu-Na and Jayje like this.
  2. Umbreon

Umbreon Furry Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ---------------News of May 2019---------------

Some new classroom maps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A new music: Mai's awakening. Which is the theme that plays when you're at home.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/576880482814394389/576884021955395625/Seul_a_la_maison.ogg
    And two other wip music. Gatto' theme, which is not very elaborate and short for the moment but which gives its leitmotif to the character:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...39681/Voyage_au_centre_de_ta_mere_la_pute.ogg
    And a possible battle theme, which I would surely continue when I would know to whom to attribute it.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...9/576884591500197900/Battle_theme_de_Puss.ogg
    Other changes:
    -No more access to items in combat, but the command used to heal MPs also slightly heals HPs.
    -Changing the steal system: You no longer choose the object to steal, but steal at random three times in a row in one action. I find it more pleasant to have a system that looks more like a known system but more boosted.

-----------------------------------------------

I also started programming the first boss of the game, Magus. It's composed of 4 phases delimited by dialogues. It's the first boss of the game, so I don't put a lot of strat in it, since it has to be manageable without modifying the deck given at the beginning.
    We're fighting him with Drake. He starts by dealing ~10 to Drake who has more than 100HP at this stage. The more the fight progresses, the more he couples force boosts to attacks that are already powerful without boost. In his 3rd strategy, he can, if boosted, deal 60. And he does it two turns in a row.
    There is no strategy related to the use of cards so I decided to make him stronger than Drake at the end so that the player would think that he must draw a lot at the beginning of the fight as long as the boss is weak if he wants to beat him without any problem. To this purpose, there are cards that allow Drake to draw from his basic deck or weaken Magus if he gets stronger.
    Apart from that, I had my brother test some random fights, he told me he could do a lot of them without it bothering him. So it's fine, objective achieved on that side, but I'll get other opinions anyway.

Jayje likes this.
  3. Umbreon

Umbreon Furry Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ---------------News of June 2019---------------

The menu
    The menu is started and finished. I only have the section that leads to a black map to do, but I think I'll just exclude it for now, it's a function that must come rather late in the game.
    When the save is not available, the Save box is not selectable. When there is only one character, you cannot touch the order. In short, it's all there.
    I would probably redo some of the basic screens in the future.

Music
    Game Over theme completed : 008 - Fin du jeu If you want to hear what the ost looks like right now, it's here.
    A game over must be punitive, as I don't want to punish the player on the gameplay by making him lose stuff or something, I want to punish him by not making him want to get on the screen. It goes through the music.
    For the screen, when I program it, I'll make it super brutal to contrast with the quiet music and give a feeling of abnormality to the rest of the game.

Animations
    I had made about a hundred animations for the first version of KP that I put back in this one, but they never had any sounds.

Yes, these sounds come from Final Fantasy Record Keeper, I play it a lot and I particularly like the sound design. ^^

News scenes
    Advancement of scenes from the story for the first demo :
    [​IMG]

Drawings
    [​IMG]
    From shayd <3

[​IMG]
    And BastienL, whose drawings I really appreciate

SolonWise and Jayje like this.
  4. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Umbreon This looks amazing! I'm really curious about this card battle system. The SNES Dragon Ball game has a battle system kinda based on cards too. Your system will be something like that? I'm really really curious to see this working. A game with a unique battle system always catch my attention. :D

I like you way of describe your characters too. There is a bit of "serious irony" the way you write, it somewhat makes me remember of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. I think I will have fun reading the dialogues these characters will share. I also like the way you are programming the bosses. Sometimes it's hard to balance things in boss battles, but it's always good for the player to have one or more strategies to beat harder enemies, even if that strategy is not so obvious at first look.

The graphics is also something that I have to congratule you. Did you draw all of these tiles?

I hope I can play your demo soon.

Umbreon likes this.
  5. Umbreon

Umbreon Furry Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I explained it in the presentation, each card corresponds to a skill, you draw one per turn and can use two per turn. Some equipment allows you to draw several cards or to have more from the beginning. What interested me about having a card system was the extra gameplay it offers. Not in the style of card games in dbz rpg, rather in the style of yu-gi-oh. With some cards that are activated under certain conditions. It allows the player more strategy. And enjoy the fight when he expects the enemy to do something, and it leads to reactions he had planned.
    The script is very malleable and is from pencilcase27.

It's not a humorous game, not all dialogues are written as in the presentation. There's only one joke sometimes. And some interactions between the characters as they walk. (If I don't forget to write some ^^)

It's especially difficult to make sure that even players who just like to move forward by screwing up everyone like me are not bothered by these enemies. When I say that each powerful enemy has a strategy, I mean that it is still possible to just run over it by staying long enough in the area.

Yes. My inspiration is Mother3.

SolonWise likes this.
  6. Umbreon

Umbreon Furry Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ---------------News of July 2019---------------

New scenes
    [​IMG]
    This time not much new for this news since I spent most of my month programming the scenes and I'm almost done. I really hope to finish them in July but being realistic I think I will finish them at the beginning of August.

Once I have finished the scenes I will only have a few things left to do, finish composing the ost (which is done at ~60%, 15 tracks composed out of 26), make several types of NPCs so that the only students in Mai, Gatto and Bakura's school are not frogs as it is the case for now. And fix some other problems, like the Game Over which is still not there. I also want at the beginning of a fight out of about 2 a character to release a replica.

And even before releasing a demo, I'll have to translate everything into English, because I plan to offer two versions.
    [​IMG]
    (At least considering the school population it is relatively clear that it is a French game)

A scene as a gift (FRENCH):

Ah, I didn't say it too, there's a scene at school where you can either talk to Bakura to learn a little bit about her family, or take school classes, and it's really classes I wrote, with Kitty Pride lore and everything, how magic works in the game, country history etc in a quiz form. Attending classes earns you points that lead to rewards.

New music
    You heard it in the video, but in fact the music is not finished, here is the beginning of Mai and Bakura's theme when they go to her house. (Balade de nuit)
    The theme of the mini-game of the courses, which is not finished either. (Cours de Joly)
    The theme that immediately follows the first boss, Drake discusses very quickly with his mother, whom the boss had taken hostage. (Finalité (Drake))
    And an extremely short little music for a moment of Puss. (Finalité (Puss))
    Available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JuIarUmWp96bhduzChxLLbMBHr__6hbR

At some point I'm going to have to finish the music I'm starting.

[​IMG]
    The rest at Bakura's house, where her father is waiting for her, whom Mai might be surprised to meet ^^

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. Stephasocks

Stephasocks Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the characters look really cool, would love to see an english version! :)

Umbreon likes this.
  8. Fireworker

Fireworker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Always nice to see someone else use pencilcase's card script! Keep it up!