Reaction score
KMS Generic Gauge
Script by Tomy
http://ytomy.sakura.ne.jp/

Latest Version: 2012/08/05

generic_gauge01.jpg
generic_gauge02.jpg

Description
This script provides groundwork code for simple gauge graphics based off images placed in the Graphics/System folder. By default, this script provides gauges for HP, MP, TP, and EXP.

Scripters can utilize their own Generic Gauge for their own use. See the "Notes to Scripters" section below the customization section.

Latest Updates

• 2012-08-05This script now a dedicated API. This script no longer overwrites Window_Base#draw_gauge. This should mean there will be less hassle when adding generic gauges in other scripts.
[*]2012-01-22
  • Crashes caused by this script when F12 reset is used has been fixed.
Script
http://db.tt/OYw87lvJ
KMS Generic Gauge Images 2012-01-15.zip

Installation
Paste this script into its own page within the "Materials" section in the script editor of your project.
Download the KGC Generic Gauge Images.zip and place its contents in the \Graphics\System folder of your project.

How to Use
All customization is done within the customization module within the script. Please read the comments thoroughly.

Gauge graphics have a design guideline:

• 24x24 - Left side of gauge background. It is not affected by gauge scaling.
  • 72x24 - Center of gauge background. This section is scaled horizontally.
  • 24x24 - Right side of gauge background. It is not affected by gauge scaling.
  • 72x32 - Internal gauge, overlays section 2. This section is scaled horizontally.
In-game example with a 30 degree slope:

Compatibility
Compatibility Patches : Find them on my patches page.

Feel free to ask for compatibility patches in this topic.

Terms and Conditions
http://ytomy.sakura....tech/rules.html

Tomy's Site T&Cs (translated by kirinelf)

If you wish to redistribute the scripts or other materials on this site, I would appreacite being told beforehand through either the BBS or e-mail.

Feel free to link to any of the pages on this site.
However, keep in mind that due to editing and rearranging of the site contents, links might break without warning.

I am not held responsible for any direct or indirect consenquence of using my scripts if you've modified them.
Please take that responsibility onto yourself.
As a precaution, please backup your project before use.

At the moment, no requests are being taken.

There is no need to report material usage to me, nor is credit required.
If you want to credit me, there's no specific format to do so.
Please write as you wish.

Editing is allowed freely, of course.
Redistribution after editing is fine.
(As long as you don't say you didn't write the whole thing yourself.)
You can port them to any other language (C++, C#, etc.) if you want.

You are also allowed to use these materials for 15+ and 18+ games.

...Well, now that the formalities are over, I really don't mind what you do with my works as long as you use them with common sense. Go ahead and use them! ヽ(´▽`)/
FAQ Style

Q: Can I share your works on my site?
A: Yes, but I would prefer it if you could tell me beforehand via either the BBS or an email.

Q: Aren't there many similar scripts out there? What should I do with them?
A: Scripts are almost a form of art; each author has their own way of writing them. Even if they function the same, there is more than one way to write a script.
I think that as long as the different scripts don't just have different names for the variables and method, every script has its own value and merit.

Q: I'm gonna link to your technique page, okay?
A: Link and favorite (bookmark) to your hearts extent! Just be warned that sometimes the address for the links might change, so be careful.

Q: There was a bug and it screwed up my game! What should I do?
A: As said in the rules, I am not responsible for that. Please make frequent backups.

Q: Can you make something for me?
A: I'm not accepting any requests at the moment.

Q: Do I need to report usage details to you?
A: No. I'd appreciate the occasional notice though, it gives me motivation. If I don't hear anything at all, I do this: (´・ω・`) *Laugh*

Q: Do I need to put a copyright notice for you? (Can mean 'Do I need to credit you?')
A: No, you don't need to.

Q: I'd like to edit something...
A: Feel free to edit as you please. However, be warned that I might not be able to provide support for modified materials.

Q: I've got this strange urge to modify your scripts and redistribute them.
A: Please go ahead. Just try not to say something like, "I wrote the whole thing myself." and we're good.

Q: I'd like to port this over to a game in C++.
A: Feel free to port and modify it at will.

Q: I found a bug!
A: Please report it on the BBS.
Please describe the circumstances in which you came across the bug in detail.
Bugs are hard to fix if you don't know what caused them in the first place.
If you get an error, please report where or how the error happened as well as the error message that pops out.

Q: Can I use your materials for 15+ and 18+ (adult) games?
A: Sure thing! (・∀・) Hehe.

Q: Can I use this for shareware?
A: If I won't end up involved in some huge complicated mess, sure.

The English version translated by Mr. Bubble, but credit to Mr. Bubble is not necessary.

Attachments

• KMS Generic Gauge Images 2012-01-15.zip
    320 bytes · Views: 550
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
YEA Status Menu + KMS Generic Gauge compatibility patch is now available. See the first post. It is not a true compatibility patch, but it will avoid the error that occurs when the two are together.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I noticed huge performance issues with this script. I'm not for sure if it is the script solely, but I swapped it out for Syvkal's gauge script and the game runs much faster. I was getting around 10-15 fps with it, and around 25-50 without it.

I know you only translated it, but do you know of any possible reason why it could of made the fps lowered so drastically?

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
Do you happen to use other custom scripts with Generic Gauge?

Without looking at any code (too tired right now), my guess is that the windows that use generic gauges are being constantly refreshed/updated every frame which ends up being very taxing to constantly redraw. I'm not familiar enough with the default scene classes to know if any of them need to update their windows every frame, but it's likely another custom script would want to do so.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Every script you have a compatibility patch for, I use.

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
Do the frame rate drops occur in scenes with gauges in windows or in all scenes in general?

If you're using Yami ATB, it's possible that it updates battle windows constantly due to the nature of battles. I haven't looked at that script closely though, so I dunno.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I only notice the drop of frames in combat using Victor's AB. It may not drop with other battle systems though. I am using Yami's ATB too.

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
I only notice the drop of frames in combat using Victor's AB. It may not drop with other battle systems though. I am using Yami's ATB too.
Figures. There's not really much that can be done about that other than trying to lessen the frequency of updates which may or may not affect the visual flow of battle.

Please remember to be detailed about your issues the first time around. I'm not fond of coaxing out important info with back and forth questioning.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I apologize, my explaining skills aren't very good.

It isn't a big deal, I can use a different system. This is more of a compatibility performance related issue, not really the script's fault.

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
We got an official update.

Latest Updates

• 2012-08-05
    This script now a dedicated API. This script no longer overwrites Window_Base#draw_gauge. This should mean there will be less hassle when adding generic gauges in other scripts.

What this means is that most of the Generic Gauge patches I have on my blog will be obsolete until I update them (which should be in the next 24 hours). However, in the long run, this means making compatibility patches or doing built-in compatibility for scripts will be much simpler. It's all for the better.

MooshraKun

Making Dreams Stand Up
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lokota
The only patch I find working is the Yea battle engine but hey I see your going to update the patches well in any way I guess from what I am seeing what you said is true that making patches will become easier now since even though I can't get generic gauges to work really no system errors occur with any gauge add on scripts I find. Which awesome thanks for all your hard work Mr. Bubble

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
The only patch I find working is the Yea battle engine but hey I see your going to update the patches well in any way I guess from what I am seeing what you said is true that making patches will become easier now since even though I can't get generic gauges to work really no system errors occur with any gauge add on scripts I find. Which awesome thanks for all your hard work Mr. Bubble
I've already updated all patches for the latest version.

I'm still open to generic gauge patch requests for any other scripts out there.

MooshraKun

Making Dreams Stand Up
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lokota
Oh I didn't realize that thanks.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Very cool! Thanks for this, adds a nice touch to the game.

Darangen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks! Works great!

One more question/request: I'm using the Grade Victory script with your patch, but your patch seems to disable the level up screen option in the Grade Victory script somehow. I've disabled your patch and the level up screen started working again.  Could you look into this?

Mr. Bubble

Makes stuff.
Reaction score
One more question/request: I'm using the Grade Victory script with your patch, but your patch seems to disable the level up screen option in the Grade Victory script somehow. I've disabled your patch and the level up screen started working again.  Could you look into this?
Alrighty, I've updated that patch. The previous patch was based off of a much older version of Grade Victory. I only update these patches whenever someone reports a problem.

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Sorry to bring this back, but the zip file provided doesn't seem to work anymore (Link is dead most likely)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.
Gamedev for relaxing? yes or no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous_game_dev