RMMV Knights of the Round Table

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by watermark, May 17, 2019.

1. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OVERVIEW
    I am thinking of making a RPG centered around the Knights of the Round Table. The story will be loosely based on Galahad's quest for the Holy Grail, with bits of other Arthurian legend thrown in. Arthur will NOT be the protagonist and will be a NPC, because I want the story to focus on the other knights. Artie's simply too famous and will overshadow everyone if he's leading it. The gameplay will be a traditional Final Fantasy like JRPG. You start with Galahad, and eventually gather 11 other Knights. Each Knight will have his own unique skills, strengths, and weaknesses. You use different teams depending on your situation.

Sources differ on the total number of knights but I like the 12 version. According to one source, these are the twelve Knights:
    Gawain, Ban, Bedivere, Ector, Gareth, Kay, Sir Lancelot, Launfal, Palomides, Sagramore, Ywain, Galahad, Bors, and Percival.

However, I will most probably swap out some of the members for story purposes.

QUESTION 1: Would you be interested in playing a game like this?

Some notes on some of the characters:

THE KNIGHTS
    Galahad
    The protagonist. If there is one. He will start out the weakest of all knights but become the strongest as he levels up.

QUESTION 2: Which do you find more interesting: story focused on a few protagonists or all knights having equal share more or less?

Bors and Percival
    Best buddies with protagonist. They'll definitely be in, but not sure how to cast them yet.

Lancelot
    The character with the best overall stats and skills. Logically, you should always use him, but some players may hate him enough not to use him. I like that dilemma. :p

QUESTION 3: I have two ideas on how to write him. 1. EVIL Lancelot: The guy who seduced the queen and eventually brought about the downfall of Camelot. 2. STARCROSSED Lancelot: A really good and honorable man who had the bad fortune of falling hopelessly in love with the boss's wife. Which kind of Lancelot would be more interesting?

Launfal
    He's got a fairy girlfriend, so if somebody in the team had to be the "Mage" archtype, he's the best fit. He can still use a sword, but his magic is his most powerful asset. Kinda like Gandalf.

Sagramore
    This guy seems to be the perfect Beserker type.

QUESTION 4: Any other Knights you think is particularly interesting?

QUESTION 5: I really want to have a female knight in the round table. Okay, okay, I KNOW according to canon all the knights were male. But let's suppose that one of them could be a woman in disguise. If so, who might it be?

NON-KNIGHTS
    Dindrane AKA Percival's sister

She might make an interesting female lead as she seems a strong character who directly influences much of Galahad's quest. Canon makes her a tragic figure as she either sacrifices her life or lives the rest of her life in seclusion. Possible romance pair up with Galahad?

Guinevere
    Honestly, I never liked her very much. Still she IS the central female character in Arthurian legends. Not sure what to do with her yet.

Morgause / Morgan Le Fey
    The arch villain of Arthurian legend. However, she seems to have no role in the grail quest. Maybe leave her out of the whole thing?

Merlin
    He should probably play a central role, but as an NPC.

QUESTION 6: Any other suggestions for a game based on the Knights of the Round Table welcome!

atoms likes this.
  2. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not entirely well versed in every aspect of the Legend of King Arthur, but ironically I'm playing Fate/Grand Order which incorporates a loose interpretation of the legend including gender-bending Arthur. But if you're making a story about Galahad & The Knights of the Round Table, first decide if you want to follow the actual historical interpretation of it (which you can easily research online) or do your own variation of it.

I certainly would play a game like that just to see how the story plays out, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be interested in it as well. Remember though, you can't please everyone, so not everyone will be happy with it whether the story is historically accurate or changed based on your variation of it.

Its way more versatile to have all the knights have an equal amount of focus. Some people do tend to like 'side characters' in series over main ones (claiming that MCs are overrated & side characters are more interesting & don't get enough screen time).

Whether or not players will like the story could ride on this decision right here, because of all the knights (besides Arthur himself), Lancelot is one of the most famous. StarCrossed Lancelot would be the safer choice to interpret him (as making him Evil might rub his fans the wrong way, however, some might find this to be interesting/intriguing.)

Actually, since I'm not all that familiar with the knights other than Arthur & Lancelot, this is all the more reason to give focus to the 'underrated' knights that aren't as famous, especially for those who aren't familiar with the legend itself.

This is why I brought up the Nasuverse variation, because they went this route with King Arthur & Mordred. After looking up the knights I was shocked by the sheer number of them (wikipedia lists at least 50 knights + many more obscure knights https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Round_Table

All I can say is good luck deciding which one to gender-bend. Anyway, its your game, so just tell a story that comes naturally to you & make it great enough to be proud of!

watermark and atoms like this.
  3. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I am an old guy, and maybe that's why I really like games based on old classics like Final Fantasy I-VI. And I like Knights of the Round too, even I don't know all the details of the lore. By the way, there is a very good Snes game with the same name, with Arthur, Sir Lancelot and Percival (the axe dude)

QUESTION 1: Would you be interested in playing a game like this?

Absolutely!

QUESTION 2: Which do you find more interesting: story focused on a few protagonists or all knights having equal share more or less?
    It depends on how much time you have at your disposal in doing this game. I rather play a game with all knights having more or less equal importance, but believe me, I KNOW it's a really hard task to do, specially if you are working alone. That's why I would play this game even with a story focused in three or four knights.

QUESTION 3: I have two ideas on how to write him. 1. EVIL Lancelot: The guy who seduced the queen and eventually brought about the downfall of Camelot. 2. STARCROSSED Lancelot: A really good and honorable man who had the bad fortune of falling hopelessly in love with the boss's wife. Which kind of Lancelot would be more interesting?
    That's up to you. You are writing and you must decide what to do. It's your story, and I think you should follow your intuition. :)

QUESTION 4: Any other Knights you think is particularly interesting?
    Like I said, I don't know the lore that well to remember the names of all knights. Thanks to the Snes game I mentioned before, I know Arthur, Lancelot and Percival.

QUESTION 5: I really want to have a female knight in the round table. Okay, okay, I KNOW according to canon all the knights were male. But let's suppose that one of them could be a woman in disguise. If so, who might it be?

Maybe a younger sister of one knight. That's your interpretation of the story. I think its alright even if you change the sex of one of the original knights.

---

My tip for you is: Even if the story focused on three of four knights, I think its fun to play a game where the player can choose the characters he likes more in battle. So, if you do a game with 12 playable characters and we can choose only 4 to battle at a time, its really cool if all of them is strong enough to deserve a place in the lead team. That way, each player will form a different party, even with characters with small importance in the story. I wish you luck, and if you can, try to keep it simple. A game like this is very ambitious. :)

watermark and atoms like this.
  4. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Question 1.
    Sure!

Question 2.
    Um, thinking just now about this, I don't mind either actually. Either is fine. I agree with the comment go with what you'd want to do. Usually though, in a lot of stories, we still have a protagonist of some kind even when other important characters have equal roles, I think that's how stories do things anyway. But I'm happy with them all being equal if that's what you'd be happy with.

Question 3.
    I'd prefer the second Lancelot, (the good guy option). I just think it's nicer and I personally prefer to see a story where he is a genuine friend to Arthur rather than secretly have really wrong intentions. If you'd rather do it the other way though, then don't let my opinion stop you! I agree with the comment to follow your intuition above what I say here. I say to follow your intuition because I think it's be more satisfying to you, and either choices could still work great in a game.

Question 4.
    I don't know enough to comment here.

Question 5.
    Again I don't really know enough, but as to whether having a female, I think it'd make the game more interesting to have one in secret be female. But, nothing wrong with keeping them all male either!

Question 6.
    My advice is best of luck and try not to stress yourself over this! I just say that on the assumption it might at times feel complex as there are a lot of characters to take in consideration. It's up to you the time length of the game of course, but no matter the length you decide, make sure to take breaks when needed and such, and best of luck with what you decide your next game to be.

watermark likes this.
  5. alice_gristle

alice_gristle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Had to come over and dig this one up, 'cause I suddenly remembered I itched to answer this one, but wasn't signed up as a member before. :smile:

So... Question 1:
    I'd play it! I love knights, and I love the Arthurian romances for how bonkers they really are. :biggrin:

Question 2:
    From a storytelling perspective, having just a few characters to focus on is probably easier to do. Devoting equal story time for twelve characters sounds like too many balls to juggle! Then again, if you're set on that, go for it. Final Fantasy VI did it fairly well... though even there, I remember getting only a fairly shallow story on each character.

Question 3:
    Do both, do both! :biggrin: I'm all for characters who are BOTH evil AND actually honourable and good. I mean, what kinda cake only has sugar as the ingredient?

Question 4:
    Kay. Kay is awesome. Everybody else is like, good and virtuous, and then there's Kay, who's firing off gibes left and right. :biggrin: I seem to remember that all the other knights are pretty much carbon copies of each other, in terms of personality. Percival was dumb but really gifted in Chr├ętien de Troyes' version, if memory serves. He's the only other one who stands out to me. Hope that helps you?

Question 5:
    Cross-dressing is great! Then again, this is kind of a loaded question, so I'm not sure, I'd maybe take a broader perspective. I mean, you wanna avoid a sausage fest situation, is that right? Then you could have love relationships between the male knights... or just really, really fond Platonic relationships that constantly tease shipping, or even hint at outright romantic love. (Also, TRYSTS. You gotta have trysts.)

Another thing would be to, yes, have a bit of cross-dressing fun... but what if one of the male knights cross-dresses as a woman instead? And everybody wouldn't even blink at that. That'd be funny, that'd be something I'd be all over.:biggrin: Or, indeed, as you suggested, one of the knights is actually a woman... but it's never outright "revealed", because nobody cares about gender? All a virtuous knight cares for is bravery, honour, and skill on the battlefield! :smile:

I guess this question, at its core, boils down to how interesting a personality you're able to write. I don't really think it's fruitful to think of any character in terms of, "well are they male or female, which one is it?" Ask instead, "what are they like as a human being?" Um, just my two cents.

Question 6:
    Don't know about the plot you were going for, but if you're having twelve knights, you could really rock a bit of episodic fun. I mean, in the Arthurian tales, many of the stories seem to be just composed of single adventures or quests. Maybe you could use that? Give some of your diverse cast adventures where they can shine (or soil themselves), and at first it seems these adventures have nothing to do with the main storyline, except later it turns out they do! Dunno if you can use that one?

watermark likes this.