Knowing when to finish the story?

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As a writer, I've encountered this a lot. I think most writers do. That's why you should learn to outline, or you'll waste thousands of hours on unfinished ideas.

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even then, not really sure, no. I feel making the story as you go always is a bit chaotic, undirected, like there's no clear goal, it gets messy. Imho, it's always less driving and interesting. One of the most important things in story telling as far as I'm concerned is suspended disbelief. I know the story is fictional, but it has to be believable, to make sense. In the story telling as much as in its background. If it doesn't, I just don't see the point of going on with the story, I get bored and pissed real fast.

And why shouldn't a story about self discovery not need to be carefully planned and scenarized?

well it seems we define making up as you go differantly, i always start with a clear point A and a clear point B, but from there i make it up as i go becuase, it is impossible to structurize a proper story and then make all the pieces fit in with the story.

when making it up as you go so long as you are consistant, and follow all defined rules of the world you created, have a clear view of how you want the end to look, what does it matter how they got there? which is the very reason why a story of self discovery is the best story type to make up as you go along, becuase in a structured story you lose actual life and this makes the discovery feel forced, but if you make it up as you go along you dont have to think ahead much about the story and can take each chapter/act as it happens which also allows for story to flow nicer together

and by consistant i mean if you say green dragons are weak to thunder as part of the story, and later throw in a green dragon that isnt, you can do this so long as you put in the story why this is a possibility

like in chapter 1 : green dragon slayer act 1: you have the hero learn green dragons are weak to lightning elemental attacks, and then in chapter 1 act 3 you say this green dragon is differant from normal green dragons due to a mutation that was cuased by living in the "insert mystical ore" mines is now weak to earth and fire attacks but absorbs lightning, this is good story telling cuase you gave a reason why a rule is broken in this instance

now if you did the same thing but just said this green dragon absorbs lightning with no reason thats just plain bad writing

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I guess we're more or less saying the same thing. To me "making the story as we go" meant more "not knowing where you're going", not having the general ending in mind. But yeah, having the starting point, the ending and maybe a few key events works. I prefer to plan a bit more, but that's just me. Maybe I'm a freak, I don't know.

As for the green dragon thing, I guess it really depends on how it's brought. If the encounter happens in said mine and all enemies share those characteristics, or you've already visited the mine and something might have hinted at a green dragon ever being there or something, it could work. But if a support character just goes "Oh, by the way, that dragon had those funky characteristics because it was from that mine you've never heard of and never will again" seconds before/during/after the fight, it's pretty much a hat-rabbit situation in my book. Ok, you've minimally justified it, but you might as well have not, because it sounds like you're bullshitting me. Just sayin' :p

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
actually, it would have to be something like, quest giver gives quest and says "beware this "insert monster" isnt like the rest cuase "insert-reason"," 

having a support character say it would just be bad story telling

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Welp, people are trying to quit my team because I can't code. Where's the dancing blob emoji when I need it?
My home state baseball team is going back to the World Series for the first time since 1999. I remember when they went in 1995 and won, that was like the best day of my life. (I'm a huge baseball fan and yes I'm talking about the Braves).
FL Studio is a huge step up from LMMS but I'm having such a tough time with it D:<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flex4ce