L & R buttons don't seem to work.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Pixel Brady, Jun 30, 2012.

  1. Pixel Brady

    Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Scotland
    First Language:
    English
    Totally baffled here, the L/R functions do nothing I can see at the best of days and now I'm trying to make a common event to check whether they're bein' pressed to set it up to cycle through weapons, but every time the L button gets pressed I get a buzzer, not with R though, but neither will do anything with the common event; it just ignores the commands.

    Not sure where I'm brickwalling it here, so any suggestions/ideas would be great, cheers.
     
    #1
  2. Des

    Des timefantasy.net Veteran

    Messages:
    1,365
    Likes Received:
    492
    Location:
    Dixie
    First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Are you pressing the "L" and "R" keys on your keyboard, or are you using the corresponding keys? It doesn't actually mean "L" and "R". By default they are assigned to "Q" and "W".
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    #2
  3. Pixel Brady

    Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Scotland
    First Language:
    English
    Aye, the buzzer comes with Q/PageUp and doesn't with W/PageDn. They don't seem to be doing anything for me at all, much less with my common event.
     
    #3
  4. Des

    Des timefantasy.net Veteran

    Messages:
    1,365
    Likes Received:
    492
    Location:
    Dixie
    First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Show us a screenshot of your common event.
     
    #4
  5. Rapu

    Rapu One foot in grave, the other in hell. Member

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Finland
    First Language:
    Finnish
    Are you sure you haven't somehow messed up your keybinds? I just created a conditional branch that checks if L or R button is being pressed and it worked, as it should have.

    In any case, two things which can cause problems comes to my mind: One, your keybinds are messed up. Two, your script(s) causes an error.
     
    #5
  6. Pixel Brady

    Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Scotland
    First Language:
    English
    One thought is about the ABS I'm using, would it be possible that's affecting it? I see no reason for it, but I guess...

    EDIT: @Rapy possible I suppose, but I wouldn't even know how to change them anyways, so if they're messed up i'vw no way to know. Mind , I'm thinking they're right because (at least one of them) buzzes.

    EDITEDIT: Just realised that I forgot to have the par.proc checker to set the other two weapons to "0" while setting the equipped to "1", but I can't see that causing the problem, especially since in my test I only equipped one anyways.

    Anyhoo, the commons:

    There's 5 versions of three different weapons. the first par.proc checks what you have, sets a variable, then checks which button is presssed and turns on a switch for that "button". each button script is an auto start, checks the variable weapon, equips the "next one along" of the best version available, then switches back off, leaving the par.proc to wait until you hit L/R again.

    At least, that's the intention.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    #6
  7. Mr. Bubble

    Mr. Bubble Makes stuff. Member

    Messages:
    853
    Likes Received:
    163
    Location:
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes, it would be possible. That or some other custom script you're using.

    The best way to check is to test your event in a clean project without custom scripts and see if it works.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    #7
  8. Pixel Brady

    Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Scotland
    First Language:
    English
    Problem is two-fold, apparently.

    In the ABS project, it happens as described above, doesn't work, probably because of the ABS.

    In a clean project, the autoruns lock up, so I've obviously screwed up the events somewhere to prevent it turning the switch off at the end.
     
    #8
  9. Rapu

    Rapu One foot in grave, the other in hell. Member

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Finland
    First Language:
    Finnish
    Try to use a less complex event to see if the problem lies to your event. Something like this:

    [​IMG]

    If this doesn't work, then your script(s) causes problem.

    EDIT: Another solution would be to change the order of your scripts. Probably not much help in this situation though.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    #9
  10. Pixel Brady

    Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Scotland
    First Language:
    English
    Excellent idea there, never even occured to me. Just tested it out and it worked absolutely fine, so I guess it's time to go over my events and see where I've gone wrong.

    Cheers :)

    EDIT: Okay, I've tried everything I could think of, including leaving the commons as a par.proc instead of waiting for the autorun switch but it's still just going back to the L-buzzer, R-nothing routine. It must be the way in which I've set the conditionals, but I'm honestly at a total loss, I've no idea what's causing the trip up, and no idea why it thinks there's a difference between the two because they look the same to me.

    Any assistance would be grand!

    Cheers
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
    #10

Share This Page