Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Legend of Mysteria (RPG Lite Series)

War is brewing in the kingdom of Labyronia. The most powerful mages have found a way to ascend to the level of demigod, throwing the centuries-old balance of power into question.

As tensions are coming to a boil, Dinyon the most powerful of the new demigods is assassinated while at prayer. His allies quickly catch and kill his assassin, but with his dying breath, the assassin fingers you as the mage responsible for the assassination plot.

Framed for murder and hunted by Dinyon's demigod disciples, you must uncover the truth behind the conspiracy in order to avoid a full-fledged inter-factional war. Use magic, skill, and cunning to evade your pursuers and solve the mystery.

Key features -

-Unprecedented progression, reminiscent of the classical adventure games.
-Learn the magical language of the mages.
-Unravel the web of corruption in Labyronia's center of power- the Tower of Mysteria.

This game has been released on Steam.

Last edited:

Peridot Gaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Unable to download to try it.  Just get an error thrown by Mega whenever it starts the download.

Also 555MB download?  If you are using the RTP at all, could you perhaps create a second download link to a version without the RTP included?

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
The link should work now.

I think the big file size is because of the audio files.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If your audio files are MP3 use Audacity, which is free, to convert them to ogg vorbis. This will typically reduce them by 60% or more.

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the tips :)  Added a link with a reduced file size (-300 MB from the original).

Last edited by a moderator:

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Bumping this game now for the sake of the non-RTP link, and generally a greatly reduced file sizes in both links. I also fixed some minor bugs and added the ability to dash to this game for the benefit of all mankind and humanity.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya. I started playing the game, but I'm stuck in the first room.

I've read the tip on the crystal, went up to the blue flame and activated the spell scroll. It even said that it worked. Yet when I approach the door and use it, it says nothing happens. I tried using the spell on pretty much any object in the room and it's not working. Am I missing something still?

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Heya. I started playing the game, but I'm stuck in the first room.

I've read the tip on the crystal, went up to the blue flame and activated the spell scroll. It even said that it worked. Yet when I approach the door and use it, it says nothing happens. I tried using the spell on pretty much any object in the room and it's not working. Am I missing something still?
Oh, thank you for trying my game  :)  About the problem with the room:

You need to use the quill in front of that door (me and my sister were actually worried that people might get stuck in the first room: It seems that we were correct! : -D)

Sregor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Downloading now from your Dropbox link, will give it a shot tonight and provide feedback! 
Posting so I can easily find this page again

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey again. Thanks for the tip and I've gotten further. Have some thoughts and impressions I'd like to share.

The conversation in the intro felt kind of long and confusing. There was a lot of backstory mentioned there and a lot of names dropped, and it was just too overwhelming to follow. Maybe it doesn't matter too much to the plot, but it was still kind of long before anything real happens. I do like though what happens next, with the leader guy being killed and everyone suddenly panicking.

I noticed it doesn't allow saving everywhere. Kind of a pity. It would've been nice to at least be able to save right after that intro, since it was fairly long-ish.

I like how you've done the list of suspects with the books about each of the mage clans. I've had a read through all of them, so that was pretty cool. Though I hope the info in those books isn't mandatory for what's ahead, since not all players are going to read it, and those who would, won't remember everything.

Yeah, I think that puzzle in the first room is pretty hard to get, and it's the very beginning of the game too. If the players can't get it, they'll give up on the game right there. I am perplexed though. If quill was the only thing needed to push the key out, then why was there a need to learn and translate that open door spell? I think that's what's going to confuse many players, since it initially seems as though this spell is what you have to use on the door, and not the quill.

I notice all the music in the game is RTP. It's not really a bad thing, but I'd still highly recommend to put other tracks instead, since RTP music is something most people in this community have heard too much already and some might feel put off by it. There is so much free music shared on these forums, you don't even need to buy any. :)

Perhaps my biggest suggestion with a game like this is to include some sort of quest journal, because the game is very open and there are a lot of places to go to and lots of things to do, so it gets very confusing as to what I'm supposed to do. And if a player has left the game for a few days and then came back later, they might not even remember where they were at all. So I would strongly recommend to have a quest log of some kind, so that the player can keep track of what they've done and what they still need to do in order to make progress.

I like the dungeon bit. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to be caught or not, but wow, the guards must be pretty incompetent, leaving a lockpick in my cell like that. :p There's a chick in here who says she can help me if I free her. I've gotten a dungeon key, but it won't open the door for her. I am guessing I probably have to find another key somewhere, but again, no idea where it would be. Most doors seem locked.

That corridor with bats was kind of painful. I only had 1 heal item on me. The bats would normally take 2 wind magics to die, and with each hit destroy 1/3rd of my health. The first time round I made a mistake and died on the third bat. It's very easy to die here and not much strategy you can use, since you only have 1 spell (with limited MP might I add), and 3 bats (2 of which are impossible to avoid). I would either give the player more healing items, or make the bats weaker, or to have it possible to avoid those encounters altogether.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'm currently lost and not sure what to do. Checked all the rooms in that long hallway and there isn't all that much to do there. I think a quest log would be invaluable here. But otherwise, the concept of the game is interesting.

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the detailed criticism, Matseb! I really appreciate the effort! :)  You've got a fair point there with the quest journal, even though i'm not sure if i'd want to add it after all, since it would be at odds with the core design. You could say that there is a "kind of" quest journal, written on those notes, books and diaries you can find throughout the game. The game is designed in a way that currently ongoing tasks can be deduced by reading those items (This is a detective game after all) So, yeah... it takes some reading for sure to progress in this game, and understandably, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, i'm not a fan of games with too much hand-holding implemented. Guess i'm just too old school for that.

The puzzle in the first room is indeed a bit too hard, i think. I'd advice anyone trying this game to focus on the Silk Bag items, and think about how and where to use them, or who to give them (like handing notes to the right people etc.)

The open door spell you mentioned can be used elsewhere in the tower, although i understand the confusion concerning the point where it's found. You could say it was an intentional distraction : -D

It's possible to encounter the bats in a few ways, in some cases with help (or with better equipment). In a worst case scenario it can be a bit frustrating admittedly.

Edit: Oh, and about the music... yeah. Most of the tracks are RTP, although there are some areas with other music at the later part of the game.

sousou

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi !! can you help me !! I'm stuck in front of the door where i have to find a disguise to pass through, i have a brown robe but i can't use it :/

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Hi !! can you help me !! I'm stuck in front of the door where i have to find a disguise to pass through, i have a brown robe but i can't use it :/
You can equip the robe from the menu, just like any armor.

sousou

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Sorry to bother you, but how can i make the sheeps stop eating pumpkins!!!

Edit: Found it !! BD XD 

Technical

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Labyrinthine, let me know how I did on speed running your game, I desynced the sound when I uploaded to Youtube.
*Fair Warning to mute the sound*

I have one question though. The "Bottle of Red Wine" does this have a use in the game?

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Technical
I haven't seen other people doing speed runs on this one yet, but you seem to have found a fast way to go through it. I'm not sure if I managed under an hour on my play testings.
The Bottle of Red Wine has no use, if I remember correctly. The game was translated from a table-top RPG and I got some minor stuff messed up, such as the bottle and that note from Wavewalker. They might have had some minor use in the original version.

Last edited:

Technical

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think the game is very fun, I will probably get one out for the entire series for the speed runs. I like the RPG/Detective style. I tried to use that bottle everywhere haha. I'll make sure to maximize my time on this first before going to the next game in the storyline.

Thank you for getting back with me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well... it's been a while since I was last here :kaoswt: I don't want to say I'm officially 'back' yet, but I've recently started working with RM again, so I might become active here again :kaohi:
Mmmm I love Coca Cola candy! :kaoluv:
aaaand my power is out. I sometimes think that I'm cursed.
A surprising number of plugins have appeared for MZ since last year. I'm currently making a "shopping list" so that I'll know what I need to test when I switch over to MZ later this year. Much of it is stuff updated from MV plugins, but there are also a good number of new things. It'll be fun to test it all out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxsin