Lack of battles

TiLu640

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What do you guys think of a game with no battles, it's more like a visual/interactive novel?

Randommerade

All those years, outside looking in...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm making one :) Except it's more of an open world scenario rather than a visual novel. But it depends on the game really. If that's the game genre you're going for, then so be it :p

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I think that'd be cool. BTW, battles are a way of breaking up game play with "differences in kind" so that a player doesn't get bored because it's all the same all the time. You'll either need to make the game shorter or make another game play element to break things up a bit.

TiLu640

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks, I think it would be a good change of pace for the typical RPG.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's my game too.

It's more of an interactive story than a RPG, with elements taken from adventure games and visual novels.

I guess it can be called an interactive adventure novel :D .

At first I wanted to do a RPG where the hero would be so weak (and aware of it) that all he could have done would have been to find a way to win a fight without actually fighting.

That was much too complicated for a first game so I forked from there, but kept the original idea.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would actually like more story based RM games with lack off or no battles. That way you can focus more on the story, exploration, etc. Rip my heart out dammit! xD

I'm actually in the process of making one myself. Interactie Visual Novel with free roaming and stuff~ :3

Last edited by a moderator:

aozgolo

Perfidious Penny Pinching Pollywog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tend to think more and more on this for my own projects, I have a few ideas for some myself, though usually they don't have battles because they focus on a different aspect, and are more "sim" in nature (Think Harvest Moon).

I think it depends largely on your intended audience if it works or not. I personally can't stand most VNs, which has more to do with the setting and bland premise than the style... there is a noticeable exception, Loren: The Amazon Princess I absolutely loved... but it did have battles (though that was not what I liked about it)

If you make a TRUE VN then you will probably get better feedback from a VN community, while there's some crossover between different communities I don't think there's as many people here interested in VNs over RPGs, not trying to discourage you but just letting you know of your audience :)

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I see no problem with it, if your game is more inclined towards the "adventure" side.

Loren is a crossover between VN and RPG btw, a kind of successful hybrid.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There are a lot of games with no battles...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

https://s12.directupload.net/images/200715/34vwhkoz.png Finally have a concept I am happy with, now I just have to decide wheather I really want to do it as vector art.
I just keep coming up with weird ideas, and then spend the time trying to make sense out of it.:kaocry:
Hi, Erm... My name is zozobie! I just had a snack.
Face masks are to be compulsory when inside shops in England from the 24th of July. People can be fined £100 if they fail to comply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cosi012