recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am developing the Lady of the Lake RPG, which is inspired by the King Arthur stories. Vivian is sent on a simple quest by Merlin, and she finds herself entangled in multiple possible adventures. You can defend Camelot from different threats, find the Holy Grail, and defeat the Dark Lord!

The Demo is now up here. (recoculous.itch.io/lady-of-the-lake-rpg-demo). The game was developed using RPG Maker MV and a ton of resources (both free and commercial). A lot of personal customization was also used, such as using various helms and hats in unique ways.

The demo has about a third of the total game story, around 3 hours out of around nine hours. The complete game takes around six to twelve hours to beat. The demo is a single file with an external www and save folder, so that you can make good use of save files.

Some interesting aspects of the game:
  1. There are different scenarios, such as various attacks on Camelot, that can happen depending on your actions or inactions.
  2. You can get monsters to join the team. What monsters can be recruited depend on the first monster you recruit.
  3. The combat system uses boost points similar to the brave point system in Octopath Traveller.
  4. The monetary system is inspired by real life. Eighty silver coins equal one gold coin. Somewhat impressive equipment can be bought by a single gold piece.
  5. Several plugins are put to good use to use rows, skill trees, Olivia's OTB battle system, New Game Plus, etc. I also developed my own quest and help system for the game.
  6. The final version has a timelapse, and the main characters get old. It's one of the only games to feature an older woman as a main character.
  7. The attribute system was also changed to use strength, endurance, agility, and wisdom in ways that can have an interesting impact.
We are now mainly in the playtesting/bug fixing/balancing part of the development process. All the main bugs from plugins have been fixed. The complete story was finished months ago.

lady4.jpg

Attachments

• vivian31.jpg
    vivian31.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The demo was updated a couple of times, and I now consider it to be version 0.82:

• There's now information about controls in the Help section, such as about controls used for a gamepad. The gamepad controls are the default ones, but I have not seen a good diagram for them before.
  • There's now always two ways to find the Bronze Key, which is needed for the first quest. (The quest is optional for the most part in any case.)
game controller3.png

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks interesting. I'll give it a try and give you a reaction video.

akuakudac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
this looks fun, just letting you know I'm giving the demo a shot! :D

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The demo was updated a bit more, and I now consider it to be version 0.84:

• Animated cupboards, closets, and dressers were added. Treasures can be found in them.
  • Treasures can also now be found at sparkly spots and bookshelves.
  • More treasures can also be found in pots and barrels.
  • There were a couple problems with the skill trees that were fixed.
@akuakudac @HexMozart88

Did you have a chance to get the demo?

lady7.jpg
(recoculous.itch.io/lady-of-the-lake-rpg-demo)

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not yet, no. I'll be playing it sometime this week.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OK, so for some reason, YouTube keeps giving me problems with video uploads. I'm just going to tell you what I said in the video.

- Battles are too frustrating: Only Shock actually does anything, and it one-shots the enemies basically without fail. And Rebecca is useless.
- Maps are too squared. Trees are in rows instead of staggered and sometimes a little empty
- Not all music fits the game/ is too creepy sounding.

Things I liked:
- I like how you get various party members that help you at different times.
- Befriending the mouse was very cute
- Clearly some effort was put into sound design.

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How far did you get? In the early game, any attack spell will one shot the weaker enemies. Later on, you can buy new spells from the skill tree, and there's more variety of enemies. You can use BP to make the spells stronger as well.

Rebecca is perhaps the weakest ally you can get, but she is exactly what the enemy verion is at first and does get better.

Thanks for the feedback.

OK, so for some reason, YouTube keeps giving me problems with video uploads. I'm just going to tell you what I said in the video.

- Battles are too frustrating: Only Shock actually does anything, and it one-shots the enemies basically without fail. And Rebecca is useless.
- Maps are too squared. Trees are in rows instead of staggered and sometimes a little empty
- Not all music fits the game/ is too creepy sounding.

Things I liked:
- I like how you get various party members that help you at different times.
- Befriending the mouse was very cute
- Clearly some effort was put into sound design.

Last edited:

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Lady of the Lake Demo was updated, and it is now version 0.85:
  1. The options menu now has Gamepad Config, which enables you to control what all the buttons do.
  2. The titles menu now has an option to close the program (Quit).
  3. The Help menu now has information about Formation. (Which has to do with the party order).
  4. Some other smaller updates were made.
gamepad config.jpg

Ahuramazda

The Last Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Based on the trailer and what I recall from playing Octopath back when it came out... I would probably abhor this game. The battle speed in Octopath was so utter slow that from start to finish the game felt like nothing but a Normal Battle grind, and bosses were way worse, but a boss should be hard and require strategy to win against.

Don't read me wrong, the game itself looks like you have put in a lot of work to get a final product, but as soon as I realized it was Octopath's battle system I immediately lost interest in looking much further :/

+1 for recruitment of enemies, that can actually be a hard system to add into a game and make it feel proper.

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Based on the trailer and what I recall from playing Octopath back when it came out... I would probably abhor this game. The battle speed in Octopath was so utter slow that from start to finish the game felt like nothing but a Normal Battle grind, and bosses were way worse, but a boss should be hard and require strategy to win against.

Don't read me wrong, the game itself looks like you have put in a lot of work to get a final product, but as soon as I realized it was Octopath's battle system I immediately lost interest in looking much further :/

+1 for recruitment of enemies, that can actually be a hard system to add into a game and make it feel proper.

I personally like Octopath Traveller a lot, but hopefully this game will not have the problems you are concerned about.

I think the main issue with Octopath Traveller being slow is the weakness "break shields" issue. I am not using that, and a lot of battles can actually be too fast in my view, if you know what you are doing.

The boss battles can take a while, but mostly nothing compared to Bravely Default 2, which took way too long in my view.

Ahuramazda

The Last Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, if you aren't using the full system it might be better for me then. I don't know when Ill have a chance, but Ill download the demo and give it a shot at least when I do get some time. :D

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game is now version 0.87. There were two main updates:

• The allies now have a stepping animation, even when not walking.
  • The full screen toggle option had a problem with the on/off description, and that should be fixed now.
If you use the full screen toggle plugin by SumRndmDde, you will have the same problem. I discuss the solution here.

Ryanmcleod

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really enjoyed this! Two tiny bits of feedback:

- Merlin telling you how to save your game, was a little immersion breaking. Keep dialogue to narrative, and for gameplay things like that have a system message, similar to your combat tutorial.
- Walk speed was a bit too fast (keyboard control, didn't try controller)

Love me some Arthurian Legend!

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game is now version 0.88, and the demo was updated:

• Merlin no longer tells you about saving the game, as @Ryanmcleod suggested. Now when you leave the save zone, the game has a warning about it and says to save near Merlin or in a town.
  • When a random friendly NPC joined for a battle, there was a problem that they wouldn't leave the party when you escaped the battle. There was a problem with Yanfly's Utility Common Events plugin, as discussed here. I decided to use SR Dude's Battle End Events Plugin instead, but there is a fix to Yanfly's plugin as well.
@Ryanmcleod I will keep the movement speed the same for now because I heard a lot of people prefer it that way. You can slow it down using the auto-dash toggle in the options menu, though. I'm using Olivia's advice and Anti-Player Stress plugin, seen here.

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game is now version 0.9. A play tester found out that Guinevere had a chance to disappear forever. Somehow I accidentally deleted the event that would change her location. It was easy to fix by copying and pasting from an old backup of the game.

characters.jpg

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game is now version 0.94. The game was recently greatly updated and play tested.

A few of the main updates:

• Cutscene: A cutscene at the Hobgoblin Boss had a problem where the game assumed that Vivian was the first actor in the party. That could lead to a duplicate Arthur or Guinevere, and it should be fixed.
  • Optimized equip: A friend prefers using "optimize" to equip items, and the default tool is terrible. Luckily, the very recent Equip Optimize Grade plugin by AphoticAmaranth seems to work great, and I am using it now.
  • White rabbit: A Monty Python-inspired white rabbit boss monster was added.
You can see more information about the updates here.

lady of the lake demo4.jpg

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game was updated and it is now v. 0.97.

A few of the main updates:

• A new Game Over screen.
  • BP healing should now show the numbers similar to HP/MP healing.
  • There was a mouse cursor issue where you had to target allies when attacking. I think I found a simple solution, discussed here.
More information about updates.

GameOver.png

recoculous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game is now v 0.98:

• There was a big power boost for high level allies.
  • Rows no longer change in battle because I can't get the preferences to change, as discussed here.
  • The skill trees were updated.
If you download the new version, you can transfer your save files. However, the old save files don't update the skill trees.

One reason for the power boost at high levels is that it is theoretically possible to beat the game solo. I have confirmed you can beat the game with a duo, and the power boost makes it less painful.

More information about the recent updates.

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I played through your demo today and wanted to share some thoughts. First I must say you did a very good job on the combat visuals and sound effects. One could see a lot of effort went there. I also thought that using large pictures of items as the face graphic for the "you found x" messages was a pretty neat idea.

I do believe I found some technical errors though:
1. In the status menu the last point before "cancel" is called "Perameters" instead of "Parameters".
2. Once in the goblin cave I encountered a group of goblins fighting a group of bats (btw another really cool idea), when the goblin tinker decided to cast hurt on themself instantly killing them. Other weird AI behavior included Mordred choosing to attack non existing targets after all human supporters were dead and AI immideatly attacking someone they just put to sleep, waking them again.
3. After defeating the goblin king suddenly all life from the Sherwood forest vanished (I can understand that the goblins are gone from a story perspective, but why the bats and other animals?), except one goblin still valiantly guarding its chest in the upper left corner of the map with the goblin cave entrance. Is this an oversight?
4. After talking to the rescued kids in Sherwood their "running in circles" suddenly becomes a "very slow walking in circles". This persists even through map reloads.
5. I observed Guinevere performing her boosted attack suddenly with her bare fists instead of the hammer she had equipped and used it for her normal attack.
6. You can walk onto the locked door in Sherwood village.
7. The ability to walk on walls in the ivory tower is another very cool idea, but enemies on the floor are still able to attack you while you are on top.
8. The "Merlin has escaped" gab window on the map just south of the first tower shows up even after all guards on the map are dead.
9. When confronting Mordred Merlin says "We can reject destiny". From context I am gathering he actually means "can't"?
10. While talking to Morgause first Arthur answers her question wether Igraine is his mother with "It is" rather than "She is". Merlin then retaliates by calling Arthur Morgause's sister.
11. I found some missing hilltop corners in Sherwood forest and west of the Sherwood village:
sherwood_forest.PNG
next_to_nottingham.PNG
11. Finally after showing the "This is the end of the demo" message the game crashes:
1661807927745.png

On to somemore opinionated advice:
I must second @HexMozart88 's point: your forest looks a lot more like an artifical hedge maze than any natural forest. In general I think your maps could do with being a bit smaller and having a few less trash mobs.
The boost mechanic offers an interesting bit of extra depth during boss encounters. However the vast majority of the time I am fighting trash mobs where I now need several clicks for every character's skill, because I need to boost the one skill they will use before the combat ends.
On the topic of bosses: The dark Imp was able to soak absurd amounts of damage while being easily outhealed by Guinevere. That made the bossfight a boring slog. The bossfight against Morgause's Champion was a very sudden spike in difficulty. After winning every fight first try and rarely bothering to build up my characters I only succeeded the final fight after my third try and after actually bothering with using items and visiting merchants.
Your skills and skill tree could also use some more description. Like what does "remove all SP" mean? Do I lose my skills? Can't I gain SP anymore? Is it just an incresed cost (this skill takes all SP you currently have and then it's back to business as usual)?
What's up with these goblin merchants? Why am I stopping my current activity of "killing anything that moves for XP" just because this one particular goblin is behind a counter? My party can rob a poor old man in the woods who still lets us rest there no problem, but we draw the line at goblins behind counters?
And what's up with the guard south of the first tower? "By the orders of the guy who kidnapped Merlin and you are actively trying to kill, you shall not pass" and we just respect that? Like what if Mordred put that guy in front of the tower? Is it then just game over, heroes lost, evil wins?
And one last thing that seemed pretty absurd from a story perspective (but I can kind of understand from a gameplay one): "Hey lady that we helped fight a dragon, that led me directly to Mordred skipping all the fights in his castle, that helped me fight him even though she clearly is like his general or something, ... I noticed that Morgause fight is a lot harder than any previous fight. You won't mind me backtracking through the whole castle and slaughtering all your men for XP, now would you? No? No problem at all?"

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So, yeah. It's there.

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guymelul