LaFlibuste's Characters

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
So over the last 2-3 weeks I needed a break from storyboarding so I started drawing my game's characters. These are busts I am planning to use for dialogs. The dialog box should be semi-transparent and cover the lower 30% of the bust, more or less. All of the previous just to give you a rough idea, anyway.

Also note that I'm not necessarily looking for feedback or criticism. I won't take it badly if you have any to share, I might do some touch ups if I feel like it, but don't be offended if I don't. Mostly I just want to show my stuff and share with you :)  

Now, without further ado, on to the pictures!

Main characters

Morvan

Morvan.png

Morvan is a knight from the neighboring duchy of Leon in his mid-twenties. He is Duke Guihomar's nephew and was sent with a small contingent of men to warn the King of the coming war. He has somewhat of a short fuse but has a good heart. His alignment would be loyal-good.

Creirwy

Creirwy.png

Creirwy is a huntress in her early thirties. She was an orphan raised by a the druid Tegid Foel in Broceliande Forest with a bunch of other kids. As time passed, the druid passed and everybody scattered. She remained alone in the woods. She is strong and independant. She decided to take refuge in the city because of the coming war. Her alignment would be chaotic-neutral.

Ysolde

Ysolde.png

Ysolde is a young noble woman in her late teens. She was promised in marriage to Baron March but she isn't into romance much, unlike most girls her age. She is much more interested by knowledge, science and engineering. She operates a small lab/workshop in secret downtown. Her alignment would be neutral-good.

Taliesin

Taliesin.png

Taliesin is a mysterious one. He was rescued by Elffin, a fisherman whose nets he got stuck into, as he was apparently left for dead in the harbor's waters. He has no memory of who he is, can't talk at all and the mask he wears seem to be fused to his face. He is really empathetic, he has great sensibility. His alignement would be chaotic-good.

I'll eventually get to secondary characters, so more more portraits to come in the coming weeks/months! Hope you enjoy :)

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Honestly, these are really good.  I think the shading could do with a bit of tightening, and there are a few minor anatomical issues, but I don't really see anything s bit of practice won't polish up.  I might recommend practicing some more variations in facial features.  Try a bit of exaggeration, too.  I've noticed when people try for hyperaccurate realism, faces tend to look artificial, but when you exaggerate slightly, it breathes a little life into the features.  Weird, I know, but there it is.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Thanks a lot Captain! I'm a bit rusty indeed, but it gets better. I used to draw quite a bit as a teenager but it must have been nearly 10 years since I last really sat down to draw anything. It's also the first time ever I use with a graphic tablet, but it's surprisingly instinctive. (Although let's be clear: these are not my firsts, I've done a few different versions and tried a few techniques and approaches since, I dunno, february?)

As for facial expressions, I'm not sure where I stand. My first idea was to make different versions for dialogues, but considering I'm not going to portrait only my four main characters, it's a theoretical buttload of work! So for now I decided to make them relatively neutral to fit most dialogs okay (while fitting none perfectly), but I might change my mind a make a few others down the road. Maybe I'll have expressions for my heroes only...? Haven't decided yet.

Thanks again, anyway! :)

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi again everybody!

So I've been away from the drawing board for a while, I had other things to do and needed to sleep on this for a while. When I finished the previous pieces I was quite proud but it was quite an effort, it felt strenuous and a bit forced. The more time passed, the least I was convinced. So I've come back and tried a different approach/technique. I've finished one of the four main characters and would be curious to know which you prefer and why. Any constructive criticism welcome :)

Creirwy_comparison.png

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like the old style better. The more detailed shading makes here more expressive, and the leather, fur, and metal parts actually look as though they are made from that material, instead of the weird cheap effect in the new one, like a cosplayer making an outfit out of spandex and plastic when the character they are copying wears silk and jewels. 

On the other hand, a simpler style means that you can draw faster and make a larger face set, poses, and reactions.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I definitely lose on texture and shading but I tend to think the old style was both a bit rigid due to the very thick outlines my approach to coloring required and the shading was a bit messy in places. Also, very much this:

On the other hand, a simpler style means that you can draw faster and make a larger face set, poses, and reactions.

Here are two other portraits I redid, if you're curious :)

Morvan:

Morvan_comparison.png

Ysolde:

Ysolde_comparison.png

Comments still welcome!

ObsidianTrance

Pensword, the Old Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I definitely lose on texture and shading but I tend to think the old style was both a bit rigid due to the very thick outlines my approach to coloring required and the shading was a bit messy in places. Also, very much this:

Here are two other portraits I redid, if you're curious :)

Morvan:

Ysolde:

Comments still welcome!
I like how you've tightened up things character wise, but indeed, I like some of the shading you did in the later. Maybe if you kept the skin simple and the rest with shading before, it would be perfect (IMO). Great job though!

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I agree. There are things too like with both the new and old character designs! Expecially Morvan looks really cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally did a test of sort for the opening of my game... ... including this shot here.
My current status!?
It might be... QUAKE!!! :o
At least that was true several hours ago. :p
Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejenifferze