Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was wondering if there is a script out there to make it so items have a large icon next to their description in the inventory, like a face next to a text box.

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yanfly's item menu works better in terms of the fact that I want large icons to appear, not just the little tiny ones that I already have. Thank you, though.

Yanfly's script does have extra features which currently, unless I can get multitudinous help for this and another script, are unnecessary and almost a burden.

All I want is a large icon next to the description... but if there is no script for that and no one can make it, yeah I'll stick with Yanfly's.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Tsukihime has custom icon script as well.
Note that this script assumes you are making windows that require custom icon sizes.

It won't help as much if you are relying on others' scripts because chances are they've already got the icon drawing covered. For example, yanfly's item menu simply stretches the icon to 96x96 or something which may not look good cause you're upscaling a 24x24 icon.

However, if someone wanted to modify yanfly's item menu so that it draws a completely different icon rather than simply stretching it, they can use the script to easily draw the appropriate icon from a sheet that is properly formatted for 96x96 icons (so you don't need to do any upscaling)

Last edited by a moderator:

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Note that this script assumes you are making windows that require custom icon sizes.

It won't help as much if you are relying on others' scripts because chances are they've already got the icon drawing covered. For example, yanfly's item menu simply stretches the icon to 96x96 or something which may not look good cause you're upscaling a 24x24 icon.

However, if someone wanted to modify yanfly's item menu so that it draws a completely different icon rather than simply stretching it, they can use the script to easily draw the appropriate icon from a sheet that is properly formatted for 96x96 icons (so you don't need to do any upscaling)

The icon bit is already covered. I have made separate icons for each item already and put them in the Faces folder in the resource manager. That way whenever a character receives an item, I can show a text box showing the name of the item found and a picture.

Now all I want is for that larger icon to also be shown in the inventory by the description. And as I've also already said, Yanfly's script does allow me to do that, but also has things I find unnecessary for my game such as the stats and extra categories to click through.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Provide a sample of how you want your menu to look.

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Provide a sample of how you want your menu to look.
Okay, well, I noticed that there was an error that popped up when I tried to erase the Yanfly menu script. It somehow interfered with the Victor Engine script I have for item battle commands. So I'm thinking that fiddling with Yanfly's script is the only way to get what I'm going for? And in terms of the unecessary stuff, I have also included in the following graphics what I'd like to show up should editing this script permit it.

After messing a little bit with the script myself just to rename some areas, then screencapping a few things and messing with them in Photoshop, here's pretty much what I'm looking for:

Upon opening the screen, I'd like to have all of the items in that category already visible.

(Mind you, this is after I already worked a little with the script so that a few other category commands were taken out: http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Konekoi/Untitled-3_zpsd56979d6.png)

The next part would be, after clicking, say, Items, it would bring you to this screen:

Viewing each would show you what would be in each category, alike to the last screen. I explained in another thread of mine that all item types, items, weapons, armours, are all "Items" in the Database. This was to help me with my battle menu, where the battle commands for my Actor are "Healers" and "Weapons," and the items shown within these categories were custom labeled in the Notes of each item in the Database to appear there. If that made absolutely no sense, here's that thread (scroll down a bit).

Therefore, in this menu script, I'd like to be able to do the same. Have a string tag (I think that's what it's called? Like you know, "<category: string>"), that I could add to the Notes for each item to dictate which category in the menu they would go to.

If you look into Yanfly's script, it indeed allows you to do this for each item already.

But as you can see, there is no "Healing" option. For editing these graphics I just changed "All" to "Healing," and edited the screencap to only show this Band-Aid instead of all of the items. Adding into the script the ability to show items labeled as something such as "<category: Healing>" would be great.

I digress.

Upon selecting one of the categories, it would go to a screen such as this:

In Yanfly's script the stats next to the icon have such things as MP Gain and TP Gain, but I have no use for that. Instead, to make use of that space, I'd like to have those stats shown above for every item. Another reason (and basically the biggest reason) is because, as stated above, all of my items and weapons and such are actually just Items according to the Database.

Yanfly's script separates items from weapons from armours and such so that the stats by the icon will change according to their item type.

I tried at first to see if I could change the coding so that the item's Vocab Stats would also include Attack and Defense stats like the weapons and armours do, you know, so that I could disguise the items as those categories as I have been doing for everything else.

However, there is no Vocab Status, um... thing, for those. I don't know anything about RGSS3 but it appears that for the weapons and armours it just pulls the "Vocab" straight from the Database and you can't edit it at all. So that's a customizable feature I'd like added so that I can continue to treat Items like weapons and so on and so forth yadda yadda.

Okay, I really hope that wasn't garbled nonsense but I tried to be as detailed as I possibly could.

negative_headed

Hard to Read
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I might be misreading something but if all you want is an image in the description for the object I think Yanfly's message system script can handle that since it allows you to place faces into the text boxes... I think?

Just throwing it out there as a method of approach, someone else can correct everything wrong I said as soon as they like.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yanfly's message system is for messages, and the item scene does not use message boxes unfortunately...

negative_headed

Hard to Read
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yanfly's message system is for messages, and the item scene does not use message boxes unfortunately...
Ah, I just kinda thought it added new options to the text over all with it's /af stuff, figured the same logic "might" apply to other areas, but I was just taking a random stab at another approach since I read dissatisfaction in the item menu overhaul, Honestly I found yanfly's item menu a bit overwhelming as well.

modern algebra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, if all you are still looking for is the large icon in the description window, then you could try my Customizable Item Menu. That is one of its features, but your most recent post suggests that there are other features of Yanfly's Menu that you are still looking for. My script doesn't have those features and it is really quite basic; it does not really compare favourably to the host of features in Yanfly's script.

However, the large icons in the description window is something it can do.

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, if all you are still looking for is the large icon in the description window, then you could try my Customizable Item Menu. That is one of its features, but your most recent post suggests that there are other features of Yanfly's Menu that you are still looking for. My script doesn't have those features and it is really quite basic; it does not really compare favourably to the host of features in Yanfly's script.

However, the large icons in the description window is something it can do.
Yeah I dunno what was going on with my scripts but deleting the Yanfly one wasn't working before.

This one might be just what I need! However, is there a way to make the description box taller? To fit 95 px.?

modern algebra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sure. Around line 78, there is a feature to change the number of lines of text in the description window. That controls the window's height. For 96 pixels, change it to 4, like so:

Code:
#  description_lines - The number of lines to show in the description.description_lines: 4,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

While we prepare the official trailer, enjoy this kind-of-second teaser! ^^
-Ele
New Episodes of RPG Shenanigans Uploaded to Youtube!

Episode 5 - Surprise Party!
Youtube Link:
Episode 6 - Killer Gin
Youtube Link:
Episode 7 - Gaia's Melody: Echoed Melodies
(Coming soon!)

Episode 8 - Clarent Saga: Tactics
(Coming soon!)

Episode 9 - Star Shift
(Coming soon!)
When the Map Generator throws in the assets in the most dumbest way possible - your path is blocked :D

I went to sleep at 3 am because of my anxiety. Set up my alarm for 7 am so that I could have sasagues for breakfast and do morning routine before lessons starts at 8 am. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep even after my lessons finished because I have to visit my grandparents today I was sad bc I was really tired. Thats when I realised. My lesson starts at 9 am. I could get one extra hour of sleep if I didnt forget it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS