Larry Jones - Music Workshop

Discussion in 'Resource Workshops' started by Larry Jones, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Larry Jones

Larry Jones Veteran Veteran

Hello and welcome to my music workshop.

Here are the tracks I have uploaded to Soundcloud recently:

https://soundcloud.com/larryjonesmusician

If you would like to request some music, please fill out this request form:

Purpose - e.g. Title screen music, Level background music...

Description - What is the atmosphere? Give me some detail about where this music will be used and the kind of music you would like, and an idea of the sound. Some specific details about your game would be great too. Feel free to share some level screenshots or concepts etc!

Format - my default will be looping .OGG files of somewhere around 2-3 minutes but let me know if you want something different.

Anything else?

N.B. I am going to make the tracks public and share them on here. If you have a serious objection to this, then let me know and I will send it to you privately in a PM. But my preference is to make them public, so I can build up a body of tracks for people to listen to.

Expect these to take some time; I should be completing requests in under a week, but there are no guarantees here. I will complete all requests unless I announce otherwise in future.

And... Please use these tracks with credit to Larry Jones, and only in non-commercial games. If you want to use them some other way then please PM me so we can discuss it.

Now, looking forward to your requests! :)

All best,

Larry Jones

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    AbyssalDarkness, Pai and mara_vertin like this.
  2. mara_vertin

mara_vertin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh I really like this! Listen to it I immediately have some dwarfs in mind (it just sounds too happy for some boring ordinary factory) :D

I haven't a request - yet - but I will definitely think about it. ;)

So thank you for opening this workshop and welcome. :)

Larry Jones likes this.
  3. Larry Jones

4. mara_vertin

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello there! As I threatened before I thought about it and want to make a request. :)

Purpose: Town music

Description: I'm looking for some background music for a city inside a cave where all peoples are skeletons. It's a funny place (no brain no pain and all that). So I think some cool but spooky atmosphere? Maybe similar to the underworld in Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. :D Just not too modern because it's a fantasy more medieval world.

File format: A looping MP3 file is just perfect

Anything else: Nope. Just: Don't stress yourself.

Thank you. I really appreciate the effort.

Larry Jones likes this.
  5. Larry Jones

Thanks @mara_vertin!

That's a great request - sounds cool and fun! I'm on it - I'm also just finishing up a request made in the Resources Request thread atm, and I'll post the finished product onto here soon. And I have a lot of other stuff on the go. But I'm sure I can get it to you soon!

mara_vertin likes this.
  6. Larry Jones

Hey @mara_vertin

I have completed your request and here it is on Soundcloud and dropbox (I've done it as a nicely looping .OGG file, not an .MP3 ... .OGGs are awesome! .OGGs are the way forward! Hope that's okay)

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0d8959vlp6yppy/mara_vertin skeleton city.ogg?dl=0

Let me know how that is. I'm not sure if I've managed to keep to medieval / fantasy, but I can change it if need be!

Thanks for the cool request...

All best

Larry

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Mesajia and mara_vertin like this.
  7. mara_vertin

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, wow. You are so fast! Honestly I really love it. It's like you can hear the bones rattle. And it's perfect for a town. Interesting but not too pompous so you won't get tired of hearing it. :D    Thank you so much.

I would have changed the file from MP3 to OGG anyway so that's even better (just thought it would be easier for you to make a MP3 file). :)

Thanks again. I'm really happy.

Larry Jones likes this.
  8. Larry Jones

Aw thanks @mara_vertin really glad you like it and that it works in context. Feel free to drop by again in future if you want to, I don't really mind people making more than one request (although obviously there's a limit). Anyway, I enjoyed doing it and love the idea of the skeleton town! Enjoy :)

mara_vertin likes this.
  9. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Your tracks are wonderful!

Larry Jones likes this.
  10. Teal Dragona

Teal Dragona Greenhorn/Gym Leader Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pushed over here by my "boss" to check you out, he's madly in love with your music.

Purpose - Friend/Antagonist Battle Theme

Description - You'll be fighting a deep connected friend through the ages, he's a master of magic, mostly spirits of protection though.

For the instruments that fit, it must include Violins, but it's also softhearted but menacing and powerful, kindhearted but pained. A friend to a master of the universe and time...

Format - .ogg is great. 2-3 minutes is cool with me too. Looping is also great.

Anything else? Don't stress about finishing this so soon, take as long as you'd like, I can wait.

Larry Jones likes this.
  11. Larry Jones

Thank you @Golden Unicorn Gaming!

Thanks for your request @Teal Dragona. That sounds interesting and I certainly have some ideas in mind and on paper (some vaguer, some more specific)!

I'm not going to be able to do anything on it for around a day though, so I shall let it 'percolate' for the time being and start crafting it tomorrow. Thanks very much for the "don't stress about finishing this so soon" comment, that helps :)  It is likely going to be a while before I can show you something, as I'm up to quite a lot of other stuff as well now, but I do enjoy these projects so I think I shall be able to make some progress on it too. And sometimes I do have mad bursts where there is rapid progress, so although that's not guaranteed it's always a possibility!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
  12. Larry Jones

@Teal Dragona, here's a demo of the first minute I've come up with so far.

Let me know what you think. It's a very interesting request so I want to check in with you at this point.

Just let me know if you think it fits. (I can always change stuff if not...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  13. Teal Dragona

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @- Laurence - I seems to need more darkness elements. Bit faster paced too. But other than that, I like it!

If you want, I can give you some reference/style to the sort of thing, if you need it.

14. Larry Jones

Thanks, I wondered about that. I have stuff in mind for the next section which is certainly going to be darker anyway so I will incorporate those as planned. I will also look back at what I've done and see if I can create a little bit of a darker feeling. As I am fascinated by the idea of a battle between deep friends I would also like to keep a sense of deep connection & kind hearted.

Feel free to send me a reference if you want. I can probably incorporate some of the style of it.

15. Larry Jones

Does this make enough of a difference? You can also hear the direction things will probably be moving towards at the end:

When I'm finished with this track, I think I will also move all the stuff before 0:22 to the very end of the track, meaning the big build up at 0:22 would be the start of the track. Writing it in this order made sense, but I think 0:22 would be a much better place to start when you go into the battle, don't you agree?

All best

Larry

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  16. Teal Dragona

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @- Laurence - I can hear the difference, it's good now. :rwink:

I agree with you, 0:22 it is a much better place to start.

Larry Jones likes this.
  17. Larry Jones

Mesajia and Teal Dragona like this.
  18. Teal Dragona

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @- Laurence - This works perfectly, thanks so much!

Request is completed, thanks a bunch!

Larry Jones likes this.
  19. Larry Jones

Awesome stuff thanks a lot! Another very interesting request! :)

20. Larry Jones

Here's a free piece for you all to use in your projects if you wish. Crediting me at the end of your game or something is fine. It's for solo piano, I'm calling it "Reflection" and there will be likely many more solo piano tracks like this to follow in future. It loops round quite nicely if you want it to.

Download it straight from Soundcloud if you wish and use it in your projects freely, you can see the icon in the top right hand corner there.

Mesajia, mara_vertin and Shuji like this.