Larry Jones - Music Workshop

Discussion in 'Resource Workshops' started by Larry Jones, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Shuji

Shuji Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Hello, just wanted to say that I love it ;)  

Larry Jones likes this.
  2. mara_vertin

mara_vertin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first thought: Larry Jones? Who's that? :D

I love the piano. Great! It totally fits the title. I can see someone sitting there and absently playing the piano lost in thoughts. I really love that about you tracks. Your music creates images inside my head.

Is there a chance you could do a violin solo as well? :p

Larry Jones likes this.
  3. Larry Jones

Larry Jones Veteran Veteran

Aw thanks : ) in this case you are probably seeing a reality, I do have a habit of absentmindedly playing the piano! Haha!

The Larry Jones thing... I know right. Just wanted to create a more specific identity on here, will make more sense in future for credits etc too.

Now, this violin solo thing ... You've really done it now mara! My violin playing is not something you'd want to hear unless you were doing a horror movie hahaha, but I guess you have made a request here so my next question is, just solo violin, or violin with accompaniment by a piano for example? I'm happy to come up with either for you.

EDIT: I should clarify, BECAUSE my violin playing is only suitable for horror tracks (lol), I would not play personally but I could definitely write the music and get it up on Soundcloud.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
    mara_vertin likes this.
  4. mara_vertin

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ha ha. That reminds me of Lemony Snicket. In one of his books he wrote something like: There isn’t a more horrible sound in the world as someone who can’t play the violin but insists on playing it nonetheless. (And man, he is right! (this shouldn’t sound like an insult)).

The piano and the violin are my favorite instruments. Yeah, really cliché, I know. But I don’t think I could listen to other instrument solos without any vocals for hours.

I also like the idea that the violin is the instrument of the devil. :p

So maybe you could try something like that? A devilish violin? As a solo or against some pure or heavenly piano (this isn’t exactly a horror setting but well...)?

Larry Jones likes this.
  5. Larry Jones

I'll certainly come up with something. This one isn't gonna be a quick request though - will require some thought and putting together when I have time! It'll be worth it though, would be a good thing to put together.

Lemony Snicket is right, a word that here means devastatingly accurate.

6. mara_vertin

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    .... a word that here means devastatingly accurate. That definitely sounds like him. XD

It has no hurry. Take your time. Don't want to spoil your fun in composing. So when you think you're not gonna like it - don't do it.  :)

Larry Jones likes this.
  7. Larry Jones

Another track for you to use for your games if you wish. Perhaps "unhinged" sums this one up ...

(There are a few 'pops' in the audio - I think that's the right word anyway ... that's all part of the lunacy of this one!)

Feel free to download direct from Soundcloud!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Mesajia likes this.
  8. AbyssalDarkness

AbyssalDarkness Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, really like what your doing.
    My favorites are, The Factory & Skeleton Town really like both.

I would like to make a suggestion more than a “pure” request if you don’t mind.

Purpose – Comic Relief, Funny/Loony Character Theme.

Description – Modern Fiction. Two Characters enters a scene. One is serious and wants something done “pragmatically”, The other is a Comic Relief and doesn’t take his job seriously. (Exemple: Final Fantasy 4, when Palom enters the scene to joins Cecil on the way to becoming a paladin.)

Format : 1-3 Minute Looping Ogg is perfect.

Larry Jones likes this.
  9. Larry Jones

@AbyssalDarkness

I have proposed one theme for the "serious" character which changes to another theme for the "funny" character.

The music for the funny character is now complete. Here it is:

I will send you the .OGG file once I have also completed the serious character and worked out how to make the transition work!

I hope you like this, I am happy with how it's turned out.

@mara_vertin I haven't forgotten about you and I've started writing, but if it's okay with you I'm going to take a little longer with yours so I can get hold of somebody to play the violin ... Fear not though it shall be completed soon!

10. Larry Jones

@AbyssalDarkness

Now for the music for the serious character, which relies on the same musical material, but treated differently:

How's this? It doesn't matter how much of it you end up using in your scene, as I know it is only used while the serious character is talking at the start. Even if you only use a few seconds of it, I'm sure it will still be effective, if you end up using more or all of it, that'll work too...

If you like these I will call them officially complete, work out to execute the transition effectively, and send you the .OGG files

Also, I will begin working on the request you made via PM, for dark castle music which probably incorporates these musical motifs also

11. mara_vertin

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I must admit, I have a little bit of a guilty conscience. It's like I have made a horrible request. Don't be mad at me, okay? :kaoswt2:
    Although I'm totally excited how the song turns out. And I'm official in love with the demonic duo. So cool. :kaojoy:
    But for some reason I find the comedic demon more creepy. Don't know why.

Think about it, maybe because he could be some kind of demonic Mr. J.

12. Larry Jones

Thanks @mara_vertin ... don't worry your request isn't horrible at all :p Just going to take a little bit of organizing but not much. Thanks ...

Okay @AbyssalDarkness ... here are the downloads for the character themes:

Serious Demon https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlbbpmu53allhdz/Serious Demon.ogg?dl=0

Comedy Demon https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2bepy9z8yh8eun/Comedy Demon.ogg?dl=0

Let me know that it works okay.

When you switch the BGM, you could also play this sound effect (SE) when you do so, to act as a transition:

Crash SE https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5l15n886ephptx/Crash SE.wav?dl=0

It's up to you whether you do or not, but that's what I'd do (I tried it out in RPG Maker and it works well in my opinion).

Let me know how that all works!

Enjoy

All best
    Larry

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    mara_vertin and AbyssalDarkness like this.
  13. AbyssalDarkness

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Larry Jones.
    Thank you so much! They are both amazing!

I will surely find more than one use for both of them :cutesmile::thumbsup-right:

I really like where you went with The Serious one! Well I like them both a lot, but the Serious One past 0:40 got me by surprise love what you did.

And I have to say, that was also pretty fast :D

Larry Jones likes this.
  14. totallyHorse

totallyHorse Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    First off, as a fellow musician (who has, as of late, not been able to use anything to compose new tracks), I absolutely love your style! I saw this workshop and I immediately thought, "Wow! This person's music would perfectly fit the game I am working on!"

Purpose
    - Village/Town Music

Description - I grew up loving the Fable games, and the theme that really stuck out to me in that game was the Bowerstone theme. The pizzicato of the violins really made me feel like I was in a real life adventure! I was wondering if you could fit that style? The atmosphere is supposed to uplifting, but calming at the same time, if you get what I mean?

Format - A looping .OGG file would be just fine!

Anything else? - Not a thing! Just thank you so much if you choose to do this!

Larry Jones likes this.
  15. Larry Jones

Hey @totallyHorse

Here's what I came up with (but you know that as I sent it to you a few days ago!). Let me know what you think as I am happy to change it or keep it as you desire.

Download: Pizz Town

mara_vertin and AbyssalDarkness like this.
  16. Larry Jones

AbyssalDarkness and mara_vertin like this.
  17. AbyssalDarkness

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh!
    Absolutely love it! Fantastic work. You went way above expectations with this one! I knew you would do something great, but this... Wow!
    Downloading it right away thanks a lot for your hard work. :rock-left::guffaw::thumbsup-right:
    (I had an absolute sheep day! So that's kind of the first good news of the day, cheers man!)

Larry Jones likes this.
  18. Wonderfull Darkness

Wonderfull Darkness Endless Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To keep you happy. (And not bored) If you don't mind this request and all.
    Purpose - Final Boss - Second Form
    Description - Something like... "You can't give up now! We are all counting on you! Take down this maniac!" I've got a song in mind, that sounds like the thing I want. This is also made for a specific character in mind, he's got a laid back attitude, enjoyment in the players progress, an all out BAD**S.

Format - Yeah, .ogg is fine with me still.

Anything else? No rushing. Take your time, don't stress out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Larry Jones likes this.
  19. Larry Jones

Hey @Wonderfull Darkness

Thanks very much for your request!

Yes I'm happy to do this - I'm glad you said take your time, I actually need a break for a while and especially before embarking on writing another battle theme (wrote a big one in the last couple of days)! :D

So just to check, the guy that says "We're all counting on you" is this badass cool guy, not the guy you're fighting. And is this the same boss as the other track I did or a different one? (that really helps me know what to write)

20. Wonderfull Darkness

Wonderfull Darkness Endless Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ayy @Larry Jones :kaohi:

Yeah, the badass cool guy isn't the one you're fighting. And it's a different boss than the one you did from before. :kaopride:
    Sorry for the confusing words, speaking isn't my best. :kaosigh:
    Take as much time you need still, feel free and take a month or so. (If you wanted to XD) :kaoslp:

Larry Jones likes this.