RMMV Last Boy on Earth (IGMC2017)

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by JacobM, Nov 2, 2017.

1. JacobM

JacobM Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Prologue

Fifty years ago there was a great war. Both sides were equally matched in weaponry and might. That's when the alchemists arrived. With their dark magic, they created terrible beasts that quickly became uncontrollable. They indiscriminately attacked anything and everything and soon both sides were left decimated. Those who wanted to survive, fled to isolated areas.

Story
    Vincent lives alone with his Uncle, Troy, in an isolated cabin at the base of a mountain. His parents left when he was just four years old to secure another cabin on the other side of the mountain, but they never returned. It's been twelve years and to better prepare Vincent for a world riddled with monsters, Troy trains the boy to wield a sword.

Battle
    Enjoy a turned-based battle system that sports a Timed Attack Battle mechanic. Hit the enemy at the right time to do damage! Earn Valor Points (VP) during battle to spend on more powerful abilities.

Characters
    Untitled-7.png VincentA_3.png
    Vincent
    Troy_3.png
    Uncle Troy

Laeta_1.png
    Laeta

Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download Link
    Warning: Mac Version does not support saving right now.

Credits
    Enterbrain - RPG Maker Series and RTPs

Jacob Mann(Drass Ray) - Story, Music, Various Edits, and 3D Renders

Corban Wood - Battle Skills and Balancing

Rebecca Murphey - Battler Edits

Lauren Atwood - Character Face\Bust Art

Holder - Characer and Mountain Mole Monster

Kazzador - Mole Monster Sprite

Vibrado - Monster Battlers \ Animations

Accanthis Font - Arkandis Digital Foundry

Scripts:

Quasi - Eventing, Movement, Pathfinding and AI

Rhyme - Smooth Map Scrolling

Kaus - Paralax Overlays

Kentou - Paralax Smoothing

MogHunter - Weather Effects

Yanfly - Battle Engine, States and Action Sequences

SumRndmDde - Time Attack System, http://sumrndm.site./

Aramis-IX - Sprite Zoom

Galv - Vertical UI Portriats and Shadows

Dan "Liquidize" Deptula - Made with MV Splash Screen

Thank you for playing!

Special Thanks:
    Hunting Swan
    Chibi

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    dbchest and Allan Bays like this.
  2. JacobM

First Language:
    English
    So, the team and I came up with a name for our team\studio! Check out this logo Lauren whipped up!
    FricknA logo blk bg.png

We're also working on some future updates for this game, as well as an Android version! :D

dbchest, MMMm and Enigma_Productions like this.
  3. Enigma_Productions

Enigma_Productions Deity Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great to hear. I'm planning on playing your game and giving some feedback this Sunday night ^_^. Keep up the good work Jacob.

JacobM likes this.
  4. JacobM

First Language:
    English
    @Enigma_Productions thanks for that! we look forward too it! :D

Our website is under construction, but you can still check it out! We also have a link to our game there as well! The android game is coming along really well and most of the game breaking bugs are ironed out. We have performance issues here and there but I dunno if it's the same for all phones so we will need to do a beta phase in the near future for that! :D

Check out the website here.

Enigma_Productions likes this.
  5. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i was really looking forward to what you came up with, jacob. i am excited to play this game.

JacobM likes this.
  6. JacobM

First Language:
    English
    Thanks dbchest! I hope you like it! :D

7. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    it is sooo reminiscent of a PS1 or N64 game to me; it makes me feel nostalgic, haha.

JacobM likes this.
  8. JacobM

First Language:
    English
    Haha, thanks @dbchest, those are the kind of games I grew up playing! So, I get a lot of inspiration from them! :D

I animated our studio logo today :D

9. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    your logo is so nintendo, haha. great job with the animation!

JacobM likes this.
  10. inazumathelightning

inazumathelightning The Pixel prince Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    awesome drass!

JacobM likes this.
  11. JacobM

First Language:
    English
  12. Enigma_Productions

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I just finished playing your game ^_^
    I'm not good at giving feedback however neither do I know how to properly summarize my main points. So sorry for the long paragraphs.

Art
    -------------------------------
    Pros
    Something I'm sure you already know by now is your games amazing Art Department. Not only were your maps astonishing to look at but they felt very alive. The non battle sprite animations for Vincent helped add another layer of connection for the player and the game character. The battle sprites were jaw dropping for me personally because they were very fluid and helped make the battle feel much more intense. Every few levels you would gain a a new skill and in the process have me very excited to check it out in combat. This also helped me feel as if my character in game was actually gaining battle experience. The two boss battles I had between the Lava boar and the purple plant were very fun and very pleasing to look at visually. The whole thing was very well executed.

Cons
    Computer performance, well to be honest had I not heard from someone else I wouldn't have known, but apparently your game can begin to experience frame drops in certain areas due to these graphics. I personally haven't experienced any frame rate drops at all. That being said this still means your game has some problems performing well for some computers and this would not be ideal had I been the person to undergo such an experience. The game needs too run smoothly in order to compliment the beautiful aesthetic game.

Story
    ----------------------------------
    To be honest I think the story was the questionable part. Not that it was bad I just feel like it was paced very quickly. For example When Vincent's uncle was protecting him, it actually seemed from the sprites that his uncle just ran past Vincent and said
    "Hey Vincent! Scooch over a bit so I can get past you and right in front of the beast". It seemed weird. If he was able to reach Vincent and then get past him; in my eyes he should've been able to simply pull him back. In this scene I understand the beast was attacking and right at the last second Vincent's uncle moved him out of the way and got attacked, but the way it was executed was too vague. However again this was probably due to time constraints. There were more examples where the plot seemed too rushed like with Vincent meeting the female bower and them talking, but they all end up coming back to the point being that you probably had to worry about the 1 month time limit, so it's very understandable why it might have seemed quickly paced. Besides this it seems like a classic hero embarking on an adventure. I unfortunately do not think there was enough story for me to conclude whether I would like it or not in the long run, however with what I did read it seemed pretty normal as other hero stories play out. This doesn't mean it was bad, but it doesn't mean it was necessarily good either. In my opinion.

Battle Mechanics
    ------------------------------
    Battle Mechanic wise, I think it was executed really well. This however might be due to the fact that I am 100% new to MV and haven't been exposed to a new battle system beyond the classic Vx ace one. When first fighting enemies I noticed rally and battle cry as my two current skills, and they're very useful! Vincent's uncle trained him well lol. These two skills were really great at giving me the advantage in every battle. I never needed any of the potions or herbs to be honest. That however could also be bad since it seems in terms of balancing I guess that rally is too OP? I don't know. At times I think it was very fair since the group enemies gave such huge damage output towards you. The rally skill was beneficial since it healed both my partner and me. Not only that but battle cry was a great skill to use for group damage skills. Made turning the tide towards big groups like that much easier. One thing I did find weird was how the information on the rally skill said it healed only a small portion but it actually healed quite a considerable amount. Maybe you could have made it a small amount at Vincent's first 3 levels and when he reached a higher level it would have been upgraded to heal a moderate amount so that the player would have understood the skill better. Because I think some people would have read and assumed it was a bad skill without ever trying it.

The female character (if I remember correctly it was Laeta?) was really useful as well. She seemed like a great asset to have when fighting the bosses. Not only did she lower enemy defense she also had poison and power shot. and volley. She kind of seemed a tad bit OP herself but again with the enemies sometimes coming in big troops I think It balanced itself out in terms of fairness.
    To be honest the fights were pretty easy I never felt I would ever lose. My HP never went below 200 even fighting bosses. This might be because I just normally get used to things really quick in games and adapt to mechanics. I mean I was nailing a lot of the 4 time-hits for Vincent and really dealing the most damage for Laeta. I would imagine for other people it might have been difficult for them however for me it was actually quite easy and still enjoyable. The bosses really helped bring a bit of a challenge. I especially enjoyed the purple plant and it's summonings. Really made me focus and use all I learned so far to beat it. If I would have lost I would have had to restart all over from new game. So the stakes for me were very very high lol.

Your probably wondering wait why from new game? Well this brings me to my other point which is bugs.

Bugs
    --------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if it's the same for other people or if it applies to the windows version but while playing on my mac I noticed I couldn't save at all. Also after entering the options menu I could change the volume for things but after I pressed back the menu would hit me with an error. It's a good thing I realized this early game because had I tried later in the game I would have been upset having to get back to where I was. In the beginning of the game I tried putting down the Bgm volume because I found it too loud however after I did so the game would hit me with an error and the game would give me a black screen making me have to restart the game. After realizing that bug I just never wanted to go to the options menu. I also tried saving but it would give me the buzzer noise that lets you know you can't do that. So I couldn't save at all, all game. I don't know what the penalty of losing is. I don't know if it says try again or go back to title screen or load back from previous load file because I never died. My entire play through was just one life and one goal XD. I wanted to finish the game and thankfully I did. I had fun through it too

Overall
    ---------------------------------------
    Overall the game experience I had was fantastic. I give the game a 5/5 despite a few hiccups and pacing being a bit quickly. The reason being because I know this game was made with a 1 month time limit and despite the story being a bit paced quickly the actual game itself very fun to play. That alone makes me confident in saying that had you put more time the game would have been even better and those few hiccups could have been easily fixed.

So yeah sorry for rambling on for too long Idk if this is a good review. I don't know who I am voting for yet but you guys set the bar way too high for anyone else in my opinion.

Oh no I don't know if there are any typo's I wrote a lot and I'm too lazy to check. Sorry in advance if you find some errors in my text.

JacobM likes this.
  13. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    wow...so i just started playing this. this game is sick; so proud of your team!

JacobM likes this.
  14. JacobM

First Language:
    English
    @Enigma_Productions Wow thanks for the detailed review! I'd love it if you posted this on my itch.io page as well, LOL! Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the game so much. I should have put the warning on this page, but yea, I know the Mac version can't save. I've researched this issue and it seems the only way I can fix it is if I deploy the game from a Mac, which I don't own. *sigh* I hope they fix this issue but if not, I'll have to get a friend of mine to do it for me. Otherwise, PC versions save fine, and the upcoming Android version saves as well, at least through testing. The balance for the battles was the hardest part, since there are people out there that find this battle system difficult. It's hard to cater to both sides! Looking back, I suppose putting a difficulty option would fix this, but would have been too time consuming to implement. Thanks again for playing and writing such a wonderful review!

@dbchest Thanks man! We worked hard! We really want to make more games like this but with a larger scope! :D

15. Enigma_Productions

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I would love to post this on the game page lol. But they don't have spolier tags. If you don't mind the long text then I will do it!

JacobM likes this.
  16. JacobM

First Language:
    English
    @Enigma_Productions True, maybe shorten it to just your "Pros" "Cons" and "Overall" ? I can see it being a little long for their format, for sure. =)