Late-Game Features for my game

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Beminfire, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Beminfire

Beminfire Shibe Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm currently using RMMV to create a game where (depending on the enemy you are fighting, of course) leveling up will be easy and the level cap can be reached without having to grind a ton. I'm planning on having late-game features like Galv's Magic Shards available once you reach the level cap. Would this be a bad idea? Or does it sound interesting?

2. Vito The Boss

Vito The Boss Someone better than you, or will become Veteran

First Language:
    Italiano
    Yes, this sounds interesting! But remember, to do things with brain. For example, if you give to the classes too strong parameters, then, you don't need the Magic Shards! Try to be...equilibrate!

kaukusaki likes this.
  3. BlackLiquidSorrow

BlackLiquidSorrow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Depends on when the level cap is reached, really.

4. Beminfire

Beminfire Shibe Member

First Language:
    English
    Trying to balance out all of the stats and stuff is one of the things that makes doing RPGs hard. I hope to get that equilibrium.

I'm planning on lvl 40-50. I'll try to make it so if you play with the strongest magic, fight the best enemies available and have some potions handy you'll be able to clear a level every 2-3 fights.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It depends a lot on how the game is structured.

The levels are there for a reason - to give the player a feeling of progress.

Games that force grinding to reach levels, and require those levels to pass obstacles, are a really bad implementation of the level concept: First because the slow leveling due to grind does not give the player a feeling of progress, and second because the requirement to have certain levels to progress the story is bad story design.

Giving more EXP to go through the levels faster only removes one error of grinding games. If you create a level cap that can be reached early in the game, you're making a similiar mistake: you're destroying the feeling of progress by leveling.

So now you propose to restore that feeling of progress by giving the player different options after reaching the level-cap.

Is there a specific reason why you would want to do that?

Because in my opinion it would be better to have the additional options available through story progress independently of level reaches - and make that story progress independent of levels as well. Several of the best games around can have the story finished before the player even comes near the level cap, simply because they don't force the player to need to be of a certain level to get through - and that is a much better way to discourage grinding, simply not needing it to pass on...

6. Vito The Boss

Vito The Boss Someone better than you, or will become Veteran

First Language:
    Italiano
    Ok, it depends from the length of your game, but...seriously? Every 2-3 fight, a level up? Isn't that...a little...boring?

More then other, I want to give you two advice:

1. Why don't you make the Shards, give an ability to the player?

2. Why, for more advice, you don't check out Final Fantasy X?

7. LightningLord2

LightningLord2 Psionic Bird Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    German
    World of Warcraft is a good case study for that - while in classic, Level 60 is pretty much the endgame, getting to Level 110 in the Legion expansion is pretty much just getting started. In fact, hitting the level cap in any given expansion is required to be even eligible to do raids. Most of your power comes from gear at this point, which serves as a more notable progression as you generally need to take out strong bosses to progress rather than grind on trash.

8. Lord Semaj

Lord Semaj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @LightningLord2  Tell us more about what makes new WoW different.  Since the game has so many... HATEMONGERS ... it's hard to tell what's good.  <_<

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Lord Semaj That is totally off topic.  So no.

That would be in Mod blue, but I'm on my phone so can't do it. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017
  10. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    agreeing with most advices here. A level every 2-3 fights may remove all feelings of success. I'd rather see less levels that make it worth leveling than plenty of levels that are meaningless.

And no, don't make a mechanic such as shards available after capping the level. Introduce it from start and have less levels.

11. LightningLord2

LightningLord2 Psionic Bird Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @Lord Semaj I was more or less pointing to a notable example of an RPG that has content not available until the level cap is reached. Feel free to bring up any other examples.

@Niten Ichi Ryu I think what the OP wants to do is making levelling less much of a factor for game progression. Still, I agree with you on having this be the primary mechanic from the start and actually not even use a leveling system to begin with.

Here's another idea: Final Fantasy 6 has a mechanic that allows you to equip espers, which boost your stat growth upon level up. About 2-3 hours in, you could be halfway at the level cap or so, which unlocks the means to reset your level to 1, with you getting better/more shards the higher your character was levelled. Equipping these shards improves your stat growth, meaning you have a quick to reach level cap with lots of potential for influencing stats and more levelling.

You can totally make grinding fun if it's more involved than beating down lots of enemies.