Ludi_Tarantula

A duo of a diligent snake and a chaotic spider.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys! You may have saw us somewhere here, but mainly on the topic of our upcoming game "The Rebirth Of Franklin Albrecht".

We generally are pretty unactive...
So we thought we might say something more about us in an introduction post, since we don't share much content and are a sporadic presence here. Even if we did an introduction post on rpgmaker.net, we think we can express ourselves more openly here.

We already said somewhere else that the Ludi Tarantula Team is formed of two people: PaoGun (she's old inside, she still uses Facebook) and EleRantula (the dumb one). What we can say? If you like classical art follow PaoGun's profile. If you just... Want random stuff follow EleRantula, maybe.

We tried many times to connect with other creators on social networks and ask them questions: not too much time ago we were out there asking things to development blogs on Tumblr. We asked them if they saw their projects professionally (like, making a living out of them) or just seeing them as hobbies. Since they didn't answer (maybe they were unactive or... We don't know, really), we will answer this question, also for asking this same question to you too.

We really want to make a living out of it. We really do and have full intention of doing it. The creative field and in-detail the field of game development is something we want to pursue because we really love all the ideals it brings: when we get to go to even small gatherings (like comic book shops or conventions) it really warms our heart to see people gathered around interests that concern the creative field.
But, as we all know, it's a difficult path (even if in the case you are good... Or just lucky enough, you also get crazy rich with it).

And, for that, we are afraid.
As everyone does, we are afraid of wasting (and having wasted) our time and effort for nothing.

This is also because... This kind of thing, mostly, is just seen as "an hobby" or "something that just people who did whoknowswhat (let's think about games done by people who always have been popular on social networks for being artists, composers etc) can do and make a living out of it". In short: you take it lightly, or you take seriously another activity and become popular with that before developing an indie game in this way.
We were never popular as single people anywhere: as you can see from our profiles, we have few followers.
So, since we just start as game developers... We fear to not have a base of public to start and, honestly, we wander in the dark.

Well, how do you beat dark?
With light, of course.

And we try to use the light of reason.

We posted this gif just today on our Twitter.

This image is from a scene in the game. You may have saw that Frankie has green-ish skin, right? We know, he's way... Cuter than how the typical Frankenstein creature is represented. We know that, yeah.
But he had lots of problems because of it anyway. And obviously it led to traumatic events that had an huge impact on his mental stability. Even in the game, his objective is to return to a mentally stable state.

The point of the scene is his research. In fact in the scene there is a candle and a candlestand: the candle is from the study of a university professor, the candlestand is the object Frankie always brings with him. He's reading a book that may be about what he is going through, he's searching for answers because he has to do something that he feels he "must" do. Since he can't get any help outside, he tries to understand his bad, he also experiments various things to note down theories he may have about it to put an end to it.
The concept of everything is that is light is the way to fight shadows: in the game they are literal hallucinations of shadows.

We thought these concepts could fit in this kind of speech, talking about "light of reason" and experimenting.
Some of you may know (maybe) that we wrote articles about the Horror RPG current in the site called Ludi Tarantula Archives. In the column "Back To The Future" there is a paragraph called "Product History". It's because we think (and we want to communicate this message, basically) that in everything we do, research has to be done. It offers info that may completely flip what you initially thought and, most of all, it offers context on what you're talking about, what you plan on doing, and also answers questions about "how did this arrive to this?". For us, the light of reason means to be objective, asking always "why" on things. Just to be smart-asses: isn't asking constant questions about the world the essence of man?

This post was also an experiment.
As we said (really dramatically) above, we feel that we are surely doing something wrong on getting known on the internet. It's not just about the game... It's a problem that we have as internet presences: we don't have any public image that is specific, we never entered in any kind of niche (niches are the ESSENCES of the internet basically)...
In short, we are in a pretty crappy situation, publically speaking. Or, at least, we feel that we are and we can do and get so much more.

We understood that the problem was our way of interact in public spaces from this question:
How do we get people to "trust" us if they don't even know what we are?
And that's where we understood that a public image doesn't build by itself...

But it's built mainly by connections.
And what connections do we have? None!
Mystery solved.

So we made this post to make people talk, to get to know people, to be ACTIVE MEMBERS of something because we understood just recently that it is the KEY to have any kind of tie with an big internet niche that can be a base for what (we hope) can be a big public. The most interaction we had was on this forum, so we decided to make this post to get even more. At this point, we hope it won't be completely ignored!
So... We decided to introduce these concepts.

Next time you see an update from us keep in mind these speeches we made.
Research and objectivity. Every single choice that you make conditions what it will be of your future. Sometimes it's enough to just change perspective and see things from every point of view, also though informing yourself.

We hope that we stimulated some people with this post. Let us know your thoughts about all these things we introduced here. After all, this is supposed to be a "small talk with you all" :)

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was going to say the same lol. Lots of text, but nice GIF! Also, welcome (officially lol)!

Ludi_Tarantula

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was a lot of text so I didn't read anything!

Fancy picture tho.

Welcome to the forums humans!
Hello! Thank you for the compliments on the gif and the welcome
Don' t worry too much about the text, we understand that we wrote a lot :')
In few words, we thought that this kind of presentation was the right way to "uncover our cards", so talk openly as developers and about our intentions with the project we are doing now, and the GIF was used to accompany that speech.
Thank you again anyway even if you didn' t read! :)
-Ludi Tarantula Team

Ludi_Tarantula

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was going to say the same lol. Lots of text, but nice GIF! Also, welcome (officially lol)!
Thank you for the welcome and for the compliments on the Gif!
For the text, we explained it in short in the answer to another user
Thank you again! :)
-Ludi Tarantula Team

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok. In fact this long introduction caught my attention so i took my time (it is weekend after all) and read through all of it. :kaoswt2:

I understand that it is quite challenging to become professional game creators (for me it is just a hobby to be honest). But if you are looking to built up relationships to other creators or even potential customers this forum is an excellent choice. (A lot of engaged, active members and good structured topics / threads)

So let's see where your journey is going. :kaohi:

Ludi_Tarantula

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok. In fact this long introduction caught my attention so i took my time (it is weekend after all) and read through all of it. :kaoswt2:

I understand that it is quite challenging to become professional game creators (for me it is just a hobby to be honest). But if you are looking to built up relationships to other creators or even potential customers this forum is an excellent choice. (A lot of engaged, active members and good structured topics / threads)

So let's see where your journey is going. :kaohi:

Thank you for taking the time to read our introduction!
And thank you for confirming what we were saying :)
We also think that forums like these in general can be a good start to build some kind of small following, to later develop a bigger circle of people.

Since you understood our objective, what is a way to "make ourselves seen" in the community? An example: what are the most active categories of threads that, as much as you know, people often check? As we said, we don't use this forum much and the times that we tried sometimes didn't give us the expected results. So... Any tip is a good tip! :thumbsup-left:
Thank you again for reading!

-Ludi Tarantula Team

Nice to meet you too Dreamfall! :)
-Ludi Tarantula Team

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, you should become an active member of the community.
  • If you are able to: Help other creators when they ask for assistance
  • Participate in ongoing discussions
  • Stick to the forum rules (the mods will like you for that. :kaojoy: )
If you want to draw attention to your projects: Post regular updates in the "Games in Development" section. By regular i mean: When there is something new or interesting to tell. Do not bump your topic every few days with some useless nonsense.
In additon try to clearly show how your project stands out to make people aware. In order to be seen you somehow have to stand out.

Just one remark: Your introduction was quite long, in general i would recommend to use shorter postings so people actually read them. :kaoswt2:

Ludi_Tarantula

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, you should become an active member of the community.
  • If you are able to: Help other creators when they ask for assistance
  • Participate in ongoing discussions
  • Stick to the forum rules (the mods will like you for that. :kaojoy: )
If you want to draw attention to your projects: Post regular updates in the "Games in Development" section. By regular i mean: When there is something new or interesting to tell. Do not bump your topic every few days with some useless nonsense.
In additon try to clearly show how your project stands out to make people aware. In order to be seen you somehow have to stand out.

Just one remark: Your introduction was quite long, in general i would recommend to use shorter postings so people actually read them. :kaoswt2:
Thank you very much for your suggestions, actually we confess that we already know these types of suggestions, they were not the ones we expected to receive but probably we caused a misunderstanding, we apologize.

We take advantage of the last point of your answer (regarding the length of our presentation) to state that we actually wanted to create a stimulus for discussion. We thought that we could not expect an open point of view from others if we did not first talk about our own point of view.
For example, we declared our intention to try to think of this as a career path and wondered whether it is really so uncommon in this field to even think or imagine one's hobby into a job.

But we actually want to do this not just to create a kind of "emotional closeness": we are really curious about how this possibility can be seen or how it is imagined.

Let's try to go in a more precise direction: having dealt with the Ludi Tarantula Archives in recent years, we have come across several cases of titles in which it was not so unfeasible to imagine moving from the amateur dimension to a sort of business. In what dimension, then, obviously depends on each case.
I will explain myself further.
Here I speak specifically as PaoGun: I was lucky enough to be able to continue my studies beyond high school graduation, specifically in the field of visual art and then in communication and journalism. It is often assumed, when thinking about the professional dimension, that one will follow a type of work from a dependent point of view.

We often reflect on the very meaning of the professionalism one is pursuing. One of the most common complaints one hears from people who search for jobs, at least in what is my own context, is that the people who have the power to hire are generally slower in receiving the changes in contemporary society. So I wonder whether it is really impossible to imagine developing some sort of trump card in this area, as so many professionals in the field often tell students.

One small note: when talking about indie game developers we don't talk about single roles like a programmer etc, but about all those projects who aspire to be brands in the future; so, the creative field in general.

In this sector of independent developers, I was wondering if it would be possible to carry this thought. As I said before, not just now to "chat" or create an emotional closeness, but because I believe in some way that talking about it is good for all of us to reflect on things. Indeed, I believe that just thinking about something makes it exist in a first form.

Moreover, the sense of a forum is that it is a place for discussion, and a freer section such as introductions would not be in the way of giving space to this (without prejudice to the case where we should create a separate thread to maintain more order). If in any way we have not, even with these premises, achieved the functionality of the forum we apologise in advance and will not tend to continue the conversation :kaoswt2:

-PaoGun, Ludi Tarantula Team

Last edited:

DrWho42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
hey there! welcome aboard!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I love how I can look up a problem I'm having with my game, find a post from like six years ago that addresses the issue, and the solution provided still works in RPG Maker.
It's times like those that my life feels really easy XD
Change costumes with equipment!
When you're forced to make a tutorial for something obvious.
246907756_284595507001402_2098549601125689312_n.jpg
one dislike. tragic really ofended me bruh
i only have one decent song and i dont even think it fits for a video game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PsykoPony