RMMZ LAUDANUM - a Delirium adventure (Updated demo)

dyoghenes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
THE STOIC OPPOSITION presents
LAUDANUM - a Delirium adventure

ScreenShot_20200909180306.png

THE STORY
One day a young woman wakes up to realize that his father is missing. As she founds out, his father contracted the plague and was transported to the local hospital, while she must remain in a quarantine. Avoiding soldiers, the girl sets out to go to the hospital, to his father.
This very short, but relatable story provides the backbone for LAUDANUM - a Delirium adventure.

THE LOCATIONS
LAUDANUM takes place in 3 main locations (a farm, a valley and a hospital) and several smaller ones, but gameplay- and storywise the game can be separated into 5 parts or acts, each with a clear objective and each filled with harder and more complex puzzles.

ScreenShot_20200909180415.png

BASED ON REALITY
LAUDANUM is based on real history and real locations. Although in a fantasy setting, the game reimagines the plague outbreak in the 18th century in the Kingdom of Hungary, when leaving quarantine resulted in a death sentence. Leave 2020 for a little and see how we can imagine a similar situation in a different time.
Based on a small region, where the hospital for infected people was located in a small valley, the player must figure their way through several locations to get to the father.

ScreenShot_20200909180342.png

THE INSPIRATION
LAUDANUM is inspired by the classic point and click adventure games of the nineties, mainly by the likes of Monkey Island or the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the game is a full-on adventure game complete with a verb list. Forget the keyboard and rely on mouse as you interact deeply with the objects in the game to solve puzzles and get to your father. See a chest? Examine it, move it, open it, you decide. The various opportunities for interaction provide deep experience and rich puzzles. Following the tips of Ron Gilbert, creator of Maniac Mansion and the first two Monkey Island games, every puzzle and dialogue tree is designed with great care to find balance in this game.

ScreenShot_20200909180514.png

THE FUTURE
LAUDANUM - a Delirium adventure takes place in the universe of my planned bigger game, Delirium, serving as a kind of experiment as to how one can implement adventure game elements in a game made with RPG Maker.

TRY IT AT
Itch.io

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hey, I played a part of your demo and really liked it. The gameplay is fun and the story intrigueing. I also liked that the interactive objects had the icon with the most promising action hovering over them.
Right now I'm kinda stuck:

I got the shovel, but now I can't get the door of the second room open or the sink unblocked.

A few bugs I encountered: I picked up the book on the table, but after opening the book, I could still see the closed book underneath it and it didn't vanish even after I took the book.

The crate in the cellar returned to its starting position after I visited the cellar a 2nd time and then she said, she didn't want to move it anymore so she wouldn't get stuck.

It was weird that she didn't react as much when the soldier told her that her father has a plague. Surely, she would have some sort of reaction to that?

The mapping could be improved. For instance, the floor is a bit empty and I don't know if it is possible with your gameplay, but I would move the kitchen parts, bookcases etc. half a space up so it looks more natural. You know, edit the tileset a bit. However, I did like the cave and you have already some nice details in your rooms.
I would also change the soundeffects of the menu. It is very obvious that those are the default ones. Maybe try listening to other soundeffects in the list to find something different, change the pitch etc.

Overall I liked what I played so far and I would continue playing!
You can be really proud of what you have done.

dyoghenes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you so much for trying it! It's still more of a prototype, I just wanted to test out the gameplay, the verb-interface whether it is smooth and fun to play or not. The mapping, dialogue and sounds are going to be fleshed out substantially. Also, the bugs are going to be squashed.

If you examine the door of the second room, you will see that it's stuck. So trying to push it with the move command rather than trying to open it will get you through. The blocked sink is a bit more silly, so I will definitely have to work on that, but the main idea is to pour hot water down the drains to unblock it.

But you didn't miss much, the demo basically ends by unlocking the main door. Thank you so much for playing my game!

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Well, I'm looking forward to new parts.
If you want to enhance the maps a bit, I re-did the wooden flooring. You can find it in my MZ resource thread.

dyoghenes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I updated the demo!

Changelog:
  • Bugfixes
    • Book now displays correctly
    • Bookshelf is now accessable
    • Various game-breaking bugs fixed in the house
    • Fixed settings
  • Refinements
    • Redesigned message system
    • Redesigned icon system for interaction
    • Moved choice window
    • Removed window opening animation

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
It already looks better and now I managed to play to the end of the demo.
And I love a good changelog :LZSgrin:

Hope you continue working on this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.
Just doing some tileset tinkering again...
rux
Someone please help me make my game.
I need someone to volunteer, I am on my knees man.
I made my own pizza. First critique, more chicken next time.
My pumpkin! Anyone like Fallout?

It's not terrible, but could be better. This thing took me over an hour to carve. :kaophew:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morte-360