gondracorn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
I am having a problem with layering. I want to place a building on top of a building, but that building is already on layer 3.

does ace come with unlimited Layers?

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I suggest using events where you put the wanted tile as graphic.

You can also flatten a couple of layers and add that as a single tile to the tileset.

Ace does not come with unlimited layers. You'd probably rather fine the mapping in Ace limited compared to XP.

*hugs*

- Zeriab

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ace comes with a few layers, but these don't behave as well as XP.

Layer 1 = autotiles (TileA)

Layer 1.5 = autotiles add-ons (like worldmap forests)

Layer 2 = add-ons (TileB through TileE).

Layer 3 = Events

You can only have 1 tile from each group on a tile grid. So, you can have a grass (Layer 1), a worldmap forest (Layer 1.5), a worldmap town (Layer 2), and an NPC standing on the town (evented Layer 3).

With the exception to the evented Layer 3, anything you touch as part of the map design will effect all tiles above. So if you decide that you want to change the grass to sand, it will wipe out the above layers and you will have to add them back in.

gcook725

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, XP's engine is way more flexible when it comes to mapping in my opinion, the only real exception being the Shadow Pen tool in Ace (which is by far my favorite addition to the program). But when it comes to flexible layers, XP is pretty much the way to go.

However with some Photoshop know-how (or gimp or whatever image editing program is popular these days) a person can get around system limitations by making parallax maps that effectively have as many layers as you want them to. The major downside though is the file size: Your game will be monstrously huge. Parallax maps can also be time consuming depending on the amount of detail you want to put in.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slydred