"Layered Music" commands

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Improvement Boards' started by Luischocolatier, Aug 22, 2019.

?

Would you want this feature to be added?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but not important

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Luischocolatier

Luischocolatier Just a p√Ętissier Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Description of the Feature:
    • I proposed this a while back, but it wasn't well understood, so I'm making this as a complete new thread with clearer ideas so it can be better expressed
    • This feature would add a couple command.
    • the first one would be the "Layered music" command, giving us the opportunity to add a number of different layers to the same music, all playing synchronized.
    • There would be a button that would let you choose the default layer(s), that would be playing at 100% at the beginning.
    • Then there would be a second command called "Layered music control" which would include a stop/resume option and a "change layer volume" option for each of the layers, including a fade in/out.

Mockups:
    Play Layered Music.png
    I have put twelve layers but I don't know what the limit could be (or if there could be one) Control Layered Music.png
    This would be the second command. As you see here it's designed to just change the volumes, but a "stop/pause/resume/volume" button for each one of the layers could be added.

Why is this feature good?
    This feature is great because of the following:
    • It would be great for interactive music: you could put variations of the same song in different layers and then volume them up or down as the scene goes on or your selections affect the story.
    • Dinamic music!!!!!! It's time to give soundtracks the place and interactivity they deserve!!!!!!
    This video I found talks about it quite well

Parallax Panda likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Luischocolatier VNM has IDs for multiple songs to be played at once if I recall correctly. Since we were thinking about the dynamic music. You can also make the songs start at 0 BGM. Is there a reason that workflow is not good?

3. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

I think as Archeia said, its already supported to play multi-layered music. Just expand the Play Music command, there is a number you can set. There is even a Random fade-out fade-in feature to make looping non-noticable.

4. Luischocolatier

Luischocolatier Just a p√Ętissier Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I've been tinkering with the system for quite a while, and there's no way around it. I've tried loads of stuff but there's no direct way to just change the volume of one layer. It either stops the layer (Stop Music), pauses it (Pause Music), resumes it (Resume Music), or changes the music on the layer (Play Music, with another audio). There's no way to adjust the volume of a layer. It just there isn't.

It does support multilayered, but there's no way to change the volumes of each layer independently as the story goes on.

You can add as many multilayered tracks as you want, but as there's no way to control their volume you can't add or subtract instruments to an already playing melody on another track. I have a game in the making and this is the only thing stopping me from using this engine because I need the music to work this way, and it's very frustrating, as everything else in the game is incredibly more easy to do and it's just a few clicks away.

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    To those who are curious to change the volume via script call
    Code:
    AudioManager.audioBuffersByLayer[0].volume = 0.5
    If you need it to fade you can do
    Script Call
    Wait