Vuono87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
is there a way to make it so you have to learn the skills 1 at a time? mastering 1 unlocks learning another, or just learning them in the order listed?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is there a way to make it so you have to learn the skills 1 at a time? mastering 1 unlocks learning another, or just learning them in the order listed?
You can use something like the VisuStella Skills and States to set custom requirements on a skill so you can't start accessing it until you've learned other skills.

I feel like this was just asked within the past few weeks for this plugin. Take a poke.

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can use something like the VisuStella Skills and States to set custom requirements on a skill so you can't start accessing it until you've learned other skills.
If the plugin is being used as intended it will calculate AP as designed all the same separate of Skills and States.

Hiding the skill doesn't prevent learning it through EquipmentSkills, just removes the visual in menus until those prereqs are met by the actor.

@Vuono87 walk us through your intentions with the plugin overall? How does it impact your project

Vuono87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If the plugin is being used as intended it will calculate AP as designed all the same separate of Skills and States.

Hiding the skill doesn't prevent learning it through EquipmentSkills, just removes the visual in menus until those prereqs are met by the actor.

@Vuono87 walk us through your intentions with the plugin overall? How does it impact your project
i was just typing out what you said about hiding the skill from use but still gaining ap towards it.

i don't want to gain ap for the other skills until the one above is mastered. kind of like how materia works. mastering fire 1 unlocks the ability to learn fire 2 and so on. if it cant be done i might try and commission an "addon" if Fomar allows that sort of thing.

just a side thought, but being able to select which spell or skill to focus on learning would be handy too.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    812.3 KB · Views: 13

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That should be a pretty trivial edit.

Open the plugin in a text editor, go to line 108. Hit enter to make a new line and put in:
Code:
if (!this.canUse($dataSkills[skillId])) return;

If a given actor doesn't meet the requirements to use a certain skill, they won't gain AP in it.

Last edited:

Vuono87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Open the plugin in a text editor, go to line 108. Hit enter to make a new line and put in:
Code:
if (!this.canUse($dataSkills[skillId])) return;

If a given actor doesn't meet the requirements to use a certain skill, they won't gain AP in it.

sorry for being a pain in the ass, im not sure if i did it right? it's still giving ap to both.

Screenshot (62).pngScreenshot (63).pngScreenshot (64).png

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sorry for being a pain in the ass, im not sure if i did it right?
You put the code in the right place. But that code is asking whether the actor can use the skill, not whether they can see it.

Try using
Code:
<JS Skill Enable>
enabled=user.isLearnedSkill(99);
</JS Skill Enable>

That should cause the canUse() check to return false on that skill if they don't know skill 99.

Of course, with VisuStella's obfuscated code I can't confirm that, I can only presume they used the most sensible course of action with tying it into existing functions.

Also, just in case you don't know, any time you change plugins or your database you need to check it by starting a new play test - you can't load a save game.

Vuono87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You put the code in the right place. But that code is asking whether the actor can use the skill, not whether they can see it.

Try using
Code:
<JS Skill Enable>
enabled=user.isLearnedSkill(99);
</JS Skill Enable>

That should cause the canUse() check to return false on that skill if they don't know skill 99.

Of course, with VisuStella's obfuscated code I can't confirm that, I can only presume they used the most sensible course of action with tying it into existing functions.

Also, just in case you don't know, any time you change plugins or your database you need to check it by starting a new play test - you can't load a save game.

it works! thank you very much

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
90% of my games skill system features are going to be credited as "Well I challenged ATT on the forums and they made it work in 90 minutes"

xD.

@Vuono87 I'm going to hit you up on the side in the morning morning to learn more about your project. Seems we're doing pretty similar things with this plugin ^_^. Albeit with a few tweaks

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it works! thank you very much

Hey, can you screen how this looks working. I want to integrate it if I can visually prevent skills from showing on the grims until prereqs are met

To clarify, Im looking to hide or maybe even replace the name of the skill with ???? for the skills associated with a piece of equipment whos learning prereqs arent yet met

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That is not strictly true. It's *almost always* true for plugins *which add new properties to game objects created when a new game starts*, but if that isn't happening you're usually okay. And database changes are reflected in saves, there's no need to start a new game for that.

It is possible to code plugins in such a way that this is mitigated as well; for my UI programming work on [redacted], I've had to make it so that some notetag-based stuff defaults to the notetag value even if you load a save where it didn't previously exist.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is not strictly true.
You're not wrong. I just think it's easier to give the advice to start new games than it is to list what can and can't transfer, and try to keep track of exactly what you've changed, and... :wink:

Particularly for people who aren't actually doing the coding.

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're not wrong. I just think it's easier to give the advice to start new games than it is to list what can and can't transfer, and try to keep track of exactly what you've changed, and... :wink:

Particularly for people who aren't actually doing the coding.
This is exactly why Ive set up a debug room and debug switch for playtesting lol. Skip the long intro and first quest and get right to the testing now xD

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Morning fellow nerds. Any way we can think to have the drawn equip skill window

1665588522732.png

that appears when the associated equipment is highlighted, automatically be drawn instead just as the stats are?

I know traditionally this would be buggy if more than one piece of equipment has skills associated, but for my project only a single equipment type Grimoire, has skills attached. The use case is just to act as a quality of life improvement for the player.

Additionally if there is a way to draw the AP bar on the skill menu itself under the skills stats (bottom right in picture)

1665589200482.png
and maybe even with the option of a mastered skill saying "Mastered" instead of showing the bar. would be an a great addition and further QoL help.

Thoughts?

Oggy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, I don't use the shop/skill status window but i agree if there was a way to show it in that window or make a window (for those who done use Visustella) that showed the ap status of skills that would be great. Having it in the equipment window is nice and functional but having it in the skill window would be great.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wonder if you could use YEP's Skill Mastery plugin and tie the AP from Fomar to the mastery exp from YEP. So mastering the skill via YEP SM would make it so you can then learn the next skill in line.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't for the life of me get the skills to require more than 1 AP to learn. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've literally tried everything I can think of. The AP gain in the AP System plugin has been set to 1, 0, and 20, to no effect. The <AP: x> on the weapon has been set to 1 or 20 with no effect. Also, only one skill shows up. I have this in the notetag: <skills: 100;107;115> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! That makes a lot more sense. XD

Puppet Knight

Knight on a Crossbar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
We'll see you in a week when this happens again! This happens, a lot xD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

working on an A/V sync system for my game! was NOT expecting the first roadblock to be accessing a variable from a public class!! Computers are so finicky sometimes :kaosigh:
For the first real time since my game's inception I found myself actually having fun playing around with my party's skills while testing out some battles! So much so, that I actually forgot what I was doing for a minute and had to force myself to move on to the next thing! :guffaw:

That's got to be a good sign considering it only has place holder animations, enemy skills, troop comps, etc. right now. Feels good!
Bex
Finally upgraded to RMMZ.
ScreenShot_11_28_2022_7_52_34.png
FINALLY, I figured out how to get the "tail" to appear IN the window and not directly below it lol. now it looks like it's part of the window and not hanging from the bottom of it.
Twitch! Stream is about to go live with some Dark Souls 2! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hahah520