Learning Together

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Lunarea, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

[​IMG]

Summer is winding down and there's a hint of autumn in the air. Students and teachers alike are celebrating the beginning of a new year of learning, and we want to celebrate with them. After all, one of the things RPG Maker and our community are known for is that they offer us an opportunity to learn many different and wonderful things.

There are many ways to learn – reading, asking questions, practicing or listening. But one of the most fun ways to learn is to learn together. Whether you've got a list of community-recommended tutorials, a learning buddy that learns along with you or an entire captive audience, there are ways to get more involved and get more out of each question asked and answered.

Learning Together is a community-wide event centered around learning and teaching. We hope to inspire each of you to learn something new, share your knowledge and experience with others and have a chance to win some fun new goodies.

We're kicking things off with a store-wide sale.

• All programs are 50% off (including RPG Maker MV!). It's a great time to pick up a new maker or treat yourself to one of the older programs.

• All DLC is 30-60% off. This is your chance to pick up a pack or two that flew under the radar, or indulge in a pack you've been keeping an eye on.

Sale starts right now, and no need to enter a coupon code! Simply add the product to your cart, and you'll see a discount appear.

Please note that the discounts do not stack! Programs and DLC should be purchased separately to get the best discounts. There are 2 discount levels for DLC.  30% off DLC: Modern Day SFX, Futuristic Atmospheres 2, Creature SFX, Epic Strings Music Pack and Frontierworks: Futuristic Heroes & BGM MV. All other DLC is 60% off. Please use separate orders for 30% and 60% discounts.

Sale is valid until September 23rd, 12:00pm (noon) PST

Next, we will be giving away $50 shopping sprees to the RPG Maker Web store to 10 lucky individuals! And if that's not enough, our fantastic social media team will be looking at the entries to feature on our blog, social media pages (facebook, twitter, etc) as well as the main website.

Are you ready to jump in?

To participate:

• Create a tutorial, a how-to video or a guide for RPG Maker fans. You can pick any theme you feel you're good at, as long as it's related to game development and it uses RPG Maker or other software you can find on our web store (ex. Manga Maker ComiPo!). Entries should be submitted here. Please be mindful of the approval rules in the tutorial section.

• Spend a little time asking and/or answering questions in our support sections.

• Take part in conversations and discussions in our discussion area.

• Leave a tip or trick you've learned since you've started using RPG Maker (as a reply to this thread).

Deadline for entries: September 30th, 12:00pm (noon) PST

Note: Any content that is submitted by the deadline, but not approved will still count.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016
    Volis, Sixth, Caitlin and 18 others like this.
  2. Little Paw

Little Paw Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds interesting! I'll try and take part if I can find the time to do it. Are there any requirements/limitations about length (short or long) for our tutorial? Also, does being entertaining/funny count, or just informative?

I'm curious though - can we, for example, make a comic using ComiPo! which is designed to teach about RPG Maker?

The Stranger and Touchfuzzy like this.
  3. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow rewards for helping people out, posting tuts or just discussion in GD? Very generous :). Along with the entire sale.

4. Lunarea

The only thing to keep in mind is the tutorial forum rules - just to help out our volunteer moderators who are looking over the approval queues. :)

Entertainment is acceptable (might be a fun read for out staff, and nice to link to via social media), as is using a tool like ComiPo! to illustrate something in/about RPG Maker.

5. Funplayer

Funplayer Self proclaimed sponge. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Perfect time for me to buy the game and teach people how to code.

6. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Well, talk about good timing. And here I was just writing a tutorial because some folks frustrate me (along with themselves, often to the point of quitting entirely) and could use the guidance.

Dr. Delibird and mlogan like this.
  7. Driftwood Gaming

Driftwood Gaming Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Making tutorials for people is a great way to show other people what you have learned and what you're learning. The end reward is also getting better at what your teaching. I recommend that you start making tutorials if you've ever thought about doing it in the past, now would be a great time to show everyone what you've been working on. I've been making RPG Maker MV tutorials since MV launched almost a year ago and I still have many things to learn despite the fact that I've been using RPG Maker since around 1996. I hope this event sparks people into making new tutorials so we can all learn from each other. I would even showcase your channel on my channel if you're starting a new youtube channel to get you some spotlight. Good luck friends. :)

Touchfuzzy and Sinnistar like this.
  8. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My best tip is to practice mapping, you start out not really how to compose a map and to learn, you have to do.  You can learn by looking at other people's maps, even looking at professional maps on google and just plan practicing.  As a matter of fact, it wouldn't hurt if you learned how to edit graphics, since you'll be doing that before you learn how to create your own.  It's about learning the process, and it just takes a little bit of time.  (^_^) I used to have trouble editing characters, couldn't do that on 2000/2003, but now, I am learning how to create my OWN graphics.  I am not at the level of say, Celianna, Avery or even, Pandamaru, yet, but it's not a race, so learn at your own pace.  (^_^) Yup, or else, I would be like (@.@) why can't I understand how to draw people, yet.

kaukusaki and VicWhite like this.
  9. Xamusel

Xamusel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, this looks like a very interesting competition to have. I'll take part in it, hopefully. I just need to make sure I can come up with a good tutorial topic.

10. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Got email and yeah, gonna teach something.

11. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Good evening, Lunarea...

This looks like the right time for me to add VX Ace to my RPG tools, but I can't see any access to this 'store' on this page. Any chance of adding links to the opening post to help old duffers such as myself..? Of course, it's highly likely that there's something immediately in front of me that I'm just not seeing; please accept my apologies in that case.

Why would I want Ace when I have MV..? Basically, so that I may use the Ace resources in full legal tranquillity; I've always avoided 'em till now, not being an Ace Owner.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction, if you'd be so kind; meanwhile...

Have a nice day

Douglas

12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Dad3353 Until Lunearea has time to read everything, the store is on the main webpage http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/  At the top of the screen click on 'Products' and take your pick.

Dad3353 likes this.
  13. VicWhite

VicWhite Star rover Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    wow thats super good news!

14. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @VicWhite  Please don't quote large posts.

Artificer and VicWhite like this.
  15. Funplayer

Funplayer Self proclaimed sponge. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So far I like what I see in the core code. It seems to have addressed many of the issues from the earlier maker's hidden core. The transparency is great.

I especially like the access to the window controls, and static key rebinding list.

16. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ksjp17...

[​IMG]

... and done..! Now, then, where's that Ace User's Manual..? Hmm... (rubs hands with glee, chortling quietly...)

17. nakina

nakina Dat boi Member

First Language:
    English
    A tip or trick I've picked up from using RPG Maker you say?  Well, it's really very basic but I did learn early on that erase event is not used to permanently erase events.  Instead, use either a self switch, global switch, or a variable and have an empty event page that triggers on the event you wish to disable.  Erase event can be useful however.  For

example, I like to have my enemies wander around visibly on the map.  If I wanted them to respawn when the player leaves and re-enters the map, I can simply use erase event to temporarily "kill" the enemy.  When the player returns, the enemies will appear again as if the player was never there.

kaukusaki and VicWhite like this.
  18. Lunarea

Thank you for the reminder! A direct link to the store has been added. :)

Dad3353 likes this.
  19. Little Paw

Little Paw Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Another question - Can this tutorial deal with tips as a game designer in general, and not strictly as a "How to do (x) in RPG Maker"? For example, a tutorial on how to write a good villain for your RPG? (Not saying that I'll do that, but it's just an example).

20. VicWhite

VicWhite Star rover Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    My personal trick: in the beginning, you will hear a voice inside your head that tells you it just found the greatest idea for a videogame. Just don't hear that voice and lock it very deep inside your head. Then try to create the simpler and shortest game you can imagine. Don't worry, it will get bigger and bigger, and even more complicated with each new session of rpgmaker. Maybe, in the end, that will be better than "the greatest idea for a videogame"

kaukusaki likes this.