Learning Together

Reaction score
First Language
English
Another question - Can this tutorial deal with tips as a game designer in general, and not strictly as a "How to do (x) in RPG Maker"? For example, a tutorial on how to write a good villain for your RPG? (Not saying that I'll do that, but it's just an example).
I don't see why not Little Paw, but I'm not in charge or directly affiliated with those running this event.

Sinnistar

Star of Aegis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I may have something that is a pretty cool little tutorial I've been working on that would fit for this xP. I have two different ideas I can do it on, one being in battle stealth and on map stealth (cannot be targetted by enemies), and the other being a working Portal Gun (because I so wanted to do that one too and show I can make it work. But then there's also my pirate cannon system that I can tie into a "shoot the pirates!" minigame, and my "Dance With Me!" (Guitar Hero style) minigame I've already made a tutorial on lol. Many many things I've already done that fit for this, but I'll go with one of the first two ideas xD (I want that portal gun >.>....but also combat stealth since that'd be useful to a larger range of content creators than a fun sci-fi teleport gun heh). 

I'll plan something up and see what happens! Also, for anyone curious about what type of tutorials I've already covered check out my Youtube channel here! There's not much on there yet but it'll get more tutorials soon enough (I have a bunch of things I need to make the tutorials for, but I just haven't had time yet heh).

Also here's a neat little trick to do before getting swamped by your game's database:

Think of how many types of weapons, armor, elements, etc. you want before you just start adding them into the database. It's easier to just throw whatever in there as you think of it, sure, but after awhile it becomes a jumbled mess and you're struggling to find where things are. I've found it highly useful to keep things as organized as possible by setting up categories in the database before even adding the items in there. (Example, I have 40 swords in my game, which means most of the other weapons will be between 30-40 total including the rare ones. So what I've done is set aside 40 spaces in the database to dedicate to each weapon, with them labelled for each tier (1-5) and type of weapon they are for. This has cut the amount of time it'd take to look one specific object up by hours literally.)

Also, if you ever feel like you've hit a roadblock, just think of what inspired you in the first place. Knowing that's what inspired you will allow you to refresh your ideas and continue to make your project how you originally wanted it to be. If you've gathered all the inspiration from that particular thing, then look for similar things that can do the same thing. After awhile you'll have an endless supply of ideas that are constant and you'll never really hit that roadblock again xP. Definitely helps when you're doing things alone I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faryn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I might not be the smartest RPG Maker-er, but hopefully I can think of something! (And that no one else has written stuff on everything I know. :3)

SinのAria

The Chaotic One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C++
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think I'll do a few tutorials based on my VX Ace project.

I wish a certain other thing was out though... VN Maker....

varishtg

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It would have been great if the sale were extended to the DLC items in the steam store as well. 

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making tutorials for people is a great way to show other people what you have learned and what you're learning. The end reward is also getting better at what your teaching.
I can't even tell you how many times I've gotten to the end of a tutorial and had learned about 5 new tricks.

Xenix-Hero

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't used much RPG Maker, really, only a handful of games for/with my friends or whatever. But I really enjoy adding a lot of things to interact with, it doesn't have to be much, but just some simple things can give insight on the character, it can be humorous, it can be anything. I always love finding things hidden in games I play, too, so it's fun for players, too. Anyways, that's the only tip I really have...

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Tips..? Yes, I've a few. Here's a couple...

1 - As the Project advances, have the Version number updated in the Game Title (Database/System...)...

As a protocol, the Project will have a Version number of 0.nn during its progression, with every modification incrementing from 0.01 up to 0.99 in some cases. Once the Game is finished, tested and released, it takes on the number 1.00. From then on, every minor modification (correction of 'typos' in text or such...) increments the hundredths (1.01, 1.02 etc...); a more important change increments the tenths (1.10, 1.20 etc...). If mods are made that are incompatible with previous versions (previous 'Saves' won't be recognised, for example...), then the Version is augmented (1.00, 2.00 etc...).

It's a Good Idea to archive successive versions during progression, by 'zipping' the entire Project, to be transferred to a separate disk, renaming using the Version Number. Periodically, a copy can be made to an external location, such as a Cloud drive. Here's a screen shot of one of my Archive drive folders...

2 - Whenever practical, I use a Naming Convention for Switches, Variable and Events (and also File and Folder Names...). This has numerous advantages, not least of which is concision, especially on large Projects where there are many, many Objects. I found (over the decades...) that abbreviating to 3 characters was not enough, 5 was too much, and so settled for 4 characters, systematically, searated by an Underscore '_'. Thus, a Teleportation Switch would become 'Tele'. If there are several, I'd use either a number (Tele_1, Tele_2...) or a useful extension (Tele_Home, Tele_Town...). When manipulation these objects, especially in code, I find it practical to not have to wonder to myself how I'd named such-and-such a Variable; it's always in groups of 4 characters, all Capitalised, separated by Underscores. Here's a screen shot of the Common Events of a Project...

3 - It's difficult to put too many Comments into one's code. It always seems evident when typing it in, but when reading it back 2 months later, it can provoke some head-scratching, trying to remember exactly what the initial intention was. In truth, programming is, in fact, the Art of writing out the steps need for any particular task. What we type in is not 'programming', but 'coding', and is dependant on the language used for syntax etc. The Comments allow one to keep the 'programming' aspect (which could, in many cases, be coded again into another language...). For a 'quick and dirty', 'one-off' solution, it may not be necessary, but any major project will, I suggest, always be improved by adequate Commenting, and is thus a practice that I highly recommend.

Hope this helps.

Benchmark

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know this may be asking a lot; but can someone make a tutorial for a revive spell? And revive all? And autorevive  (casted on someone alive,  revives when they die). I have been trying so hard to make these spells,  and searching all over. Please someone make a tutorial for this for not just me but others

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Sounds like a fun event :) I bet I'll learn a lot from the tutorials.

As for tips:

Test! Please test your game yourself before you release your demo/(open/closed) beta. I know what you're thinking: "Duh! Of course, I'll test my game. That's basic knowledge." You'd think so, but I've tested/played games before that hardly were tested or at the very least not thoroughly. I myself test my game several times during development, as well as right before sneding it off to the testers. This way I've made my testers' life a bit easier, because most of the game breaking bugs have been caught, so they can actually focus more on minor bugs/nitpicking/polishing your game for you. I tend to play my game at least three times: the first time I just follow the game's instructions, then the second time I do the exact opposite and the last playthrough can serve to check if I actually fixed bugs or just created more.

Extra tip: I only discovered this by accident when I first started working on games, but if you playtest from within your project file you can use CTRL to walk through impassable tiles, which is perfect in case you get stuck somewhere.

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

• Leave a tip or trick you've learned since you've started using RPG Maker (as a reply to this thread).

In VXAce you can place this little snippet in the script line of the conditional branches to make it so the event's effects change/activate when it reaches a certain XY coordinates on the map(in the case of the example shown the X  coordinates = 1 and the Y coordinates = 9).

You can see the actual code snippet here:

Code:
($game_map.events[@event_id].x == 1) && ($game_map.events[@event_id].y == 9)

Reactions: BCj

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I decided this is a perfect inspiration to start a different form of tutorial I've been considering for a long time: a general "how to create a world" tutorial (and by that I don't mean mapping, but background history).

First two pages already written, but expect that one to be extra-long even for me ;-)

It'll go into non-maker specific tutorials when it's ready, because it has nothing to do with the makers themselves, it's more like a world design document (instead of game design document).

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have a nice tutorial idea I might use for this, but I need to brainstorm a little more...

A tip that is always useful:

Before you write your story or plan your system, have a look around and see what is already there first. It is a great inspiration, maybe some of those you find give you instant ideas how to use them and you avoid to plan things that can't be made without tons of costum work. Have a small datadase with folders sorted by creator (resources) including a .txt with the terms and a folder with script and script demos that include full terms and are labeled as the kind of System they are. It is a lot of work, but you will have a definite overview after plus you won't have to search for every single thing, one huge look around and maybe some updates from time to time and you have everything in one place.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Two questions I want to clear up before I begin working on a tutorial:

1. Do we have to specif our tutorial is for this event?

2. Is there a limit to how many tutorials we can submit to this? I don't mean like a huge number but can we submit like 2 or 3?

Sorry, and thanks in advance!

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is a cool idea for a forum event, celebrating community learning, growth and perhaps even a little bonding (*nudge, nudge*).

I guess if I were to offer one tip or bit of advice for a newer user it would be to focus on you RPG Maker Fundamentals. Learn how to use the basic functions of the maker and use them well. Learn your switches, your common events, variables; your event triggers, Auto-run, touch, Action button, Event Touch, Parallel Process, etc...Once you learn the types of things you can do with the maker and the different ways you can go about utilizing and triggering them a tremendous world of possibilities opens up solely with eventing.

Its easy early on to want to look for some cool Script or plug-in that does something you can't do, which a lot of the time is justified but many things that seem like you might need a script or Plug-in for you can achieve something similar with eventing. For example you can make things like Functional Health Bars/Morality meter bars or an entirely evented skill tree system!

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Two questions I want to clear up before I begin working on a tutorial:

1. Do we have to specif our tutorial is for this event?

2. Is there a limit to how many tutorials we can submit to this? I don't mean like a huge number but can we submit like 2 or 3?

Sorry, and thanks in advance!
1. No.

2. Also no, but more tutorials will not count as more entries. :)

Lord-Xanthor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just bought RPG maker MV and VX Ace soon as I discovered they were on sale. As for Stacking, didn't notice as I selected a lot of packs as well and saw 60% and the savings was higher than the cost so didn't really question in. Accidentally did some repeat buys as I saw in the download section repeats. Probably bought some combination packs that came with same resource packs. Would have bought a lot of the music packs as well, except there were very few showing demos and at $20+ even if 60% off wont risk unless I can hear the samples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....
Finished with the ground work for my class system, using Ellye's Class Change Equipment and Yanfly's Class Change Core plugins to implement an equip based subclass feature!
Hi people! I was wondering... Here in Brazil, we have a whats app group for we talk about rpg maker and our projects. A more informal way for we meet each other. Is there any whats app group out there? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeLoser