Teach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello.

I'm fairly new to RPGMaker. Though I've managed to make some progress so far. The regular stuff I'm mostly able to get without trouble through the Youtube tutorials. But there's a couple of...Irregular features I'd like to implement.

One is I want to have a system in place where you learn Traits via level-up instead of Skills. (The skills you learn via AP gain in battle. I've managed to find a couple of plugins for that). Think Mario and Luigi's "Rank" system. You reach a certain level and you choose which trait to learn.

Attack + 20%
Defense + 20%
Magic Attack + 20%
Magic Defense + 20%
Speed + 20%

And once you chose a trait, that trait gets eliminated so that you can't choose it again the next time you level up:

Attack + 20%
Defense + 20%
Magic Attack + 20%
Magic Defense + 20%
Speed + 20%

How would I implement this? Do I need to do some fancy footwork with common events? Do I need a plugin? What should I do?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would use a plugin to have passive states. You would then be actually learning a skill that grants a passive state with the desired trait on it.

There are also plugins that allow you to have dynamic traits, I just think it will be easier to come up with an interface for choosing a skill than to create one that results in the application/modification of traits. For example, there are various skill tree plugins available.

Teach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sounds like a good idea. Where would be a good place to get said plugins?

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is tricky. It's similar...no, exactly, like the problem of changing a character's elemental attack attribute.
What I normally suggest is to have duplicate classes. So if you want to change a character from having a Water attack to a Fire Attack, simply change their class from a Knight with Water, to a Knight with Fire. You'd do the same with other Traits. Have a lv1 Knight class, and change it to a Lv2 Knight Class that happens to have a Attack +20% trait.

But this isn't practical for player-custom trait combinations.

You can apply a hidden state to a character. No icon, Priority 0. Which adds the trait you want to the character. However you'll need to avoid using the [Recover All] event command, like when sleeping at an Inn or something, because it removes all states. If you can avoid doing that, the trait-state should be permanently applied to a character, I think.

Teach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I've managed to solve the problem. Apparently, items can also receive traits. If I were to go with something like that, I might be able to pull something that works.

Thanks for the help you've given me. And the prompt responses.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

M42S7Us.gif

It's the little things. Lengthened the time the bar fades in and out to be a bit more comfortable.
3 days until release!
Well, with one problem (the hurricane) over with, we now have another problem. My dad and stepmom both tested positive for COVID-19 and I'm unable to visit them anytime soon. Meanwhile, I've just posted a new video on my YouTube.
I am back...from the land of the dead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wixkedbruixes